Sports Injuries and Working out

Options
So I was a competitive figure skater for 12 years and had to quit 2 years ago from a back injury, 2 slipped disks and 2 stress fractures. I was in a back brace for a couple months and went through physical therapy. I didn't get surgery or anything (probably should have, or still should).

So I didn't work out most of the past 2 years (BIG difference from my old life style) and, well no surprise, gained about 25 pounds. Disgusted with myself and my new life style, I have been working out and trying to get back to my old body. But I have been mostly using the elliptical machine for my cardio. I want to get into other exercises but don't want to hurt my back.

So basically, does anyone else have something similar to me and have any ideas to burn as many calories as you can on the elliptical but not get bored doing the same thing over and over??

Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I got hit by a car riding my bike a few years back and it messed up the lower part of my spine (1 slipped disc, and a tilted pelvis). I used to see the chiropractor 3x a week, and had gained a lot of weight while my back healed.

I like to use the AMT machine (cross country skiing-ish) it always burns more calories than the elliptical (uses both arms and legs, and you can do squats on it in intervals as well), and still easy on your back. My trainer has also spent the last year focusing on strengthening the core muscles around my lower back so I don't get spasms / pinches anymore - it has helped a lot.