Replacing Protein Powder

Options
Hey guys, been looking online for about a half hour for an answer but can't seem to find one.

I've been going smoothie crazy and love the way I'm feeling and looking! I have one for breakfast and one for a post-workout. On days that I do intense circuit training, I've been replacing recipes that have protein powder in them for almond butter, chia seeds or flax seeds, generally about a tablespoon of one or two. But, I'm doing this for every recipe, no matter how much or how little protein powder it says to add.

Any good suggestions for moderating this? I don't want to miss out on protein intake, especially on the important days and I don't want to over do it when I don't need it.

Thank you!!

Replies

• writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you're avoiding protein powder? The nut butters and seeds do have protein, but to get the same amount of protein from those that you get from a scoop of powder would get to be pretty high calorically. The only additions/replacements I can think of that would be high protein and relatively low calorie would be Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.

I lowered my carbs and upped my protein a few weeks ago. At first, it felt like all I was eating was lots of meat and fish. I'm trying to get a variety of protein-rich foods into my diet to keep me from getting bored. I've been eating a lot of chicken, tuna, Greek yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, and beans, but I also have been eating protein bars some days and having shakes or something else made with protein powder (oatmeal, pudding, mug cake, etc.) to help me reach my goal.
  • ajflkdafs
    ajflkdafs Posts: 15
    Options
    Just a personal choice. I've cut processed foods out of my diet for the most part, and been mostly shopping organic brands that have pledged (and been tested by private parties) to not use GMO's. I just personally don't see why I would need protein powder when there are so many wonderful foods already high in protein. As for the caloric intake, I've been doing this for about 2 weeks and have only been losing weight so this doesn't seem to be a problem.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I hardly use protein powders anymore... I just eat a lot of chicken and Greek yogurt. I'd say tuna too but I don't know if you can find canned organic tuna, so... My goal is only 110ish grams of protein though.