bruised/cracked rib, intercostal pull your experiences?

Options
geebusuk
geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
While doing squats a couple of weeks ago with a belt (possibly on a new 5rm) I noticed some pain in my ribs.
Didn't feel that bad and I carried on the session, hitting a new 5rm deadlift at the end of it.
Hurt the day after, but day after that felt ok, so dropped my squats down to 80% of weight and carried on - hurt quite a lot the day after that so I've been giving them some rest (well, as much 'rest' as is included by shortly after going to Glastonbury festival and mostly dancing in mud until just before dawn :) ).

I've been doing some googling, but the results are 'inconclusive' at best.
Can anyone suggest what it's likely to be and what sort of rest period I should be expecting?

Pain is only noticeable when I sit up in bed in the morning or actually prod the appropriate areas. It actually feels like I've had a decent Abs session the day before when I go to sit up in the morning.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Might be an oblique strain. Where exactly does it hurt?

2pfpyB7.jpg
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Cheers...

From that picture, around ribs 9/10 I reckon. Just forward from being totally on the left hand side.
    If I let my left arm hang down and poke the area with my right hand, my hand is a little forwards of my left elbow, with the left arm hanging straight down.

I do have quite a large chest cavity, so they stick out a fair way compared to some people.