Eating your cake (and weighing it, too)

Options
So I just baked some killer shortcake for dessert tonight. I calculated the weight of the entire recipe (from ingredients on the card), divided that total into 8 equal parts, logged it, and remembered...

almost all the liquid has completely evaporated. So I:
1) went back to the recipe card
2) added up the weight of everything except the wet ingredients
3) used THAT weight as my serving size
4) BUT kept the calories the same as the 8-serving result WITH the wet ingredients.

Is that a correct way to be accurate? Maybe it sounds like I'm nit-picking, but I'm maintaining right now, so I'm trying to be as careful as possible. :bigsmile: Thanks in advance for any insight.

Note: not all of the pieces are the same size, so I'd need to know the weight to accurately log.

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'm going with too nitpicky. Breathe. You'll be just fine.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. The weight cooked won't be the same as before you cooked it... and it doesn't matter if the liquid evaporated. If it's in the recipe, log it.

So... log the recipe with everything you used, weigh the cake after it's cooked, then divide by 8 to see how many grams is a serving... and post a pic.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. The weight cooked won't be the same as before you cooked it... and it doesn't matter if the liquid evaporated. If it's in the recipe, log it.

So... log the recipe with everything you used, weigh the cake after it's cooked, then divide by 8 to see how many grams is a serving... and post a pic.

:wink: :drinker:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weigh the entire cake (minus plate/pan), divide by 8.

I don't generally weigh my cake. I just divide it into servings and go with it.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. You know how many cals are in the whole recipe right? Just cut it into 8 equal portions and say you ate 1/8th of the calories.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Haha, I know it sounds anal, but shortcake is chock full of butter, so a few grams can make a bit of a difference. I know the weight of the whole recipe because I weighed the dry/raw ingredients as they went in and totaled the grams.

I'll weigh the whole cooled recipe and divide by 8! Thanks! :drinker:
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'll weigh the whole cooled recipe and divide by 8! Thanks! :drinker:
    Which gave me the same number, +0.5 grams. Both methods work, but one of them is easier. Excellent.