Don't know what to do!

Options
alexknyde
alexknyde Posts: 36 Member
Hi everyone! I only started on this fitness adventure a couple weeks ago, and have started very small, going to the gym 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I didn't lose anything (I stayed about the same), but I've only just started counting calories and trying to eat better yesterday - I'm mostly just proud of myself for going to the gym at all, cause I thought I would hate hate HATE it!

Anyway, I wanted to ask about gym habits. For some background, I'm pretty small (only 5 foot 2) and weigh over 200 pounds. My knees are probably my worst complaint - they hurt when I run - so so far I've only been using the elliptical. I feel like I push myself at a decent pace, cause my heart is always going and I definitely break a sweat.

The reason I'm worried at all is because I'm not making any improvements on the elliptical. I always seem to clock the same distance in 30 minutes no matter how hard I feel like I'm going - does this mean I'm not improving, or is it possible that I'm just not meant to be fast?

Also, should I even bother trying to run on the treadmill when it makes me hurt? I know I need to start doing muscle building stuff soon, but I feel like I'm jumping the gun if I can't even do cardio right. ><

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Focus your efforts on getting your food logged accurately and consistently. There is no reason to kill yourself working out. What his wrong with walking on the treadmill?
  • alexknyde
    Options
    I wouldn't bother walking (I can do that outside) but running makes my knees hurt, so I tend to avoid the treadmill. ><
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Don't do something if it hurts! You might want to try yoga or Pilates, and measure your food intake.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    Does your gym have an incumbent bike, or spinning bike? That'll get the strain off your knees.

PS: don't forget you've only started 2 weeks ago....it'll come, be patient, and try increase a little at a time :)

Good luck,

Karen
  • molandc
    molandc Posts: 1
    Options
    Running, to start, is probably not a good plan. For cardio to start you're better off with low impact cardio, like the elliptical and bike. Swimming is about the best all over workout for cardio and strength at the same time without the slightest challenge to the joints.

If it's only been a couple weeks don't panic if you don't see much/any results. Your body is still getting adjusted to what you're trying to do to it and it takes time to change your overall metabolism.

You're better off focusing instead on watching/recording your calories and making 'better' food choices for now. Suggest you do ONE weigh-in now, first thing in the morning before you've eaten or drunk anything, and then give it no less than a month - six weeks is a common time frame I'm told - before you weigh yourself again.

I put my scale out, recorded the weight and then put it on a shelf in a closet for the next five weeks. It worked. I was very happy and surprised at the results after that. You can obsess in all the wrong ways if you look at your weight - or individual results - every day. Like I said a common time frame used is 4-6 weeks between weights, fitness tests, etc.

Just stick with recording calories, making critical but positive choices (slowly changing things) and not quitting on the workouts because things are the same or worse to start. Getting fit and loosing extra weight is a marathon and not a sprint. Six months in you'll be amazed how far you've come if you stick with it.

Good luck!!! :happy:
  • bevhillsilly
    bevhillsilly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Log, Log, Log! Its an awful bore and sometimes a painful exercise in self examination but it really gives you perspective! Feel free to friend me if you want to take a look at mine. Its not always pretty but its gotten better b/c I make myself accountable to it.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Check out your calcium levels. Low calcium can make your joints hurt.
    If you deal with this now then you could prevent arthritis later. :love:
  • alexknyde
    Options
    Thanks guys! I really should try to get out and swim, I love swimming and everyone says it's so useful!

And I am trying to log well, but I'm new to it so it's gonna take a little adjustment. :)
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    While you are in the early stages of this I would concentrate on getting the exercise in on a regular basis and don't worry too much about what you are achieving in each session. Try the bike as someone suggested, or the treadmill on a high incline. Or the rower? Don't run if it makes your knees hurt.

Do what your body will let you do and over time you will get fitter and be able to do more.

Good luck
  • jennifernoseworthy
    jennifernoseworthy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about doing a program at home that offers low impact modifiers to ease stress on your knees. I am doing one now that I like. My knees are bad (from the time I was a kid). I wear a brace on my left when I work out and occasionally on my right if it's acting up. They creak and crack, my kids look at me funny.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised about the sore knees, you're putting alot of pressure on those knees at your current weight. I can only offer you suggestions by what worked for me so here goes. Use the elliptical both backwards and forwards and just lose yourself in it, don't worry about the calorie burn so much, focus on the fact that you're doing something good for your heart. If there are bikes available use them too, lots of times we see the bikes and think eh it's not worth the sore butt or doesn't give enough calorie burn but it does work different muscles and it's really easy to read a book while biking. :) As for the treadmill, it's never a favorite of mine I'd rather walk/run outside BUT I have found that 2 things help on the treadmill, first I can't run on 0 incline I have to have .5 to 1.5 in order to run without knee pain however I also found that until I dropped below 185lbs (I'm 5'4") my knees were sore in general but running on the treadmill still isn't my thing so when I do use it I go for sprints, walk for a minute, sprint for 30 seconds and so on otherwise I'm like a hamster in a wheel.

I would also suggest you don't focus on just cardio, yes it helps you lose weight, it's good for your heart but add some strength training of some kind, even yoga, pilates, squats, lunges, push ups, all these things will help you and prevent the boring gym routines.
    I actually gave up my gym membership about 4 years ago, best decision I ever made because now I look for new things to work my muscles.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Purely anecdotal advice...

I used to weigh 307 lb at 5'8". I upped my exercise a TON...killing it every day, walking many miles every night...and tried to eat a little less without logging anything and I lost 45 lb -- but it took me over FOUR YEARS.

Then at 262 lb I started tracking every single bite/sip using this website and I've lost 83 lb in just over a year. I still exercise but I don't go nuts with that and it feels so easy, I am never hungry, etc. I am at (BY FAR) my lowest weight since I was 14 and I'm 37 now.

Needless to say I am a firm believer in logging EVERYTHING carefully and eating at a calorie deficit for the best results.

ETA: I don't mean to say that exercise isn't vital. It is. But I read a lot in your post about not losing weight despite your increased exercise, which was the same frustration I had for years. I have seen a lot of my friends go full force on the exercise end only to run out of steam when they don't see much (or any) loss reflected on the scale. So I'm not saying calorie counting eliminates the need for physical activity and pursuit of fitness. It just reallllllly makes a difference in your weight!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about progress just yet. In two weeks you've had what - 6 sessions? That's nothing in the grand scheme of things. Just keep trying and you will slowly improve.

As far as running goes, if/when you do decide to give it a try, start slow and easy. Check out a beginner's program like Couch to 5k where you do mostly walking with just a few running intervals and slowly build up your run times. Even with a program llke that, you need to listen to your body. If your knees, hips or back are hurting, that means something is wrong and you shouldn't just push through. Rest and repeat weeks (several times if you have to) or find a different program that has a more gradual increase.

And maybe you'll never be a runner, which is ok to. There are plenty of other exercises you can do!!

If you want to start strength training, go ahead and do it. I know when I first started, I was much more comfortable with those exercises than cardio because I was already fairly strong and it wasn't as exhausting.

Good luck!
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Didn't read too much of the rest of this topic, but if you just started two or three weeks ago (and especially if your over 200 lbs) you shouldn't be running yet. The first rule of exercise is if it hurts, DON'T continue to do it. You need to do what your body can handle, and its hurting because your doing too much too soon. Walk for now, you can burn plenty of calories walking and its some of the best exercise you can do. Don't worry, you'll be able to run later, take it slower :)
  • jonniemomof9ak
    jonniemomof9ak Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love e exercise, both strength training & aerobic, but it doesn't seem to help me lose weight. It does however make things look tighter & greatly improve my mood.

If losing weight is your goal. I would concentrate on diligence in recording what you eat, & sticking to your recommended calorie intake, for the amount you want to lose weekly. It works, if you can be commit to it.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Focus your efforts on getting your food logged accurately and consistently. There is no reason to kill yourself working out. What his wrong with walking on the treadmill?

I agree, it much more about the food you eat than about exercise. I mean, both are important, but I would say 80\20.
  • daflaminga
    Options
    First of all, focus on eating healthy. Diet is more important than anything else.

When it comes to cardio exercise, look into HIIT (high intensity internal training.) Don't focus on how much distance you can cover in a certain amount of time. That will get you nowhere. Instead, change your intensity level. Work at a very high intensity level for 30-60 seconds where you're really sweatin' it out and working hard, then bring it waaaay down as a way to cool off for 60-120 seconds. Then, bring it back up to that same high intensity level or higher if you can, then bring it back down. Keep that up for the length of your workout and trust me, it will really pay off in the end.
  • alexknyde
    Options
    First of all, focus on eating healthy. Diet is more important than anything else.

When it comes to cardio exercise, look into HIIT (high intensity internal training.) Don't focus on how much distance you can cover in a certain amount of time. That will get you nowhere. Instead, change your intensity level. Work at a very high intensity level for 30-60 seconds where you're really sweatin' it out and working hard, then bring it waaaay down as a way to cool off for 60-120 seconds. Then, bring it back up to that same high intensity level or higher if you can, then bring it back down. Keep that up for the length of your workout and trust me, it will really pay off in the end.

I've heard of that, it sounded sort of scary though! XD I'll give it a shot. It might not be so bad.