Machines or Free Weights?

When I decided I should start a little strength training along with my cardio, I wasn't sure how to go about it and quite frankly I'm still unsure and this has only lead me to doing two lifting sessions.

My first one was with the weight machines. I did the leg press and two other leg machines and then a couple for the arms. I did 3 sets of 10 reps per machine. I felt the burn in some areas and it was a struggle by around count 6 to keep going. The next day I wasn't as sore as I felt I should be.

The next time I decided to try the free weights (dumb bells). On the machines when I was using my arms the weights were at 60 pounds. With the free weights I wad holding a 15 pound weight in each hand. I started with biceps curls (I think) and did 3 sets of 10 reps and to me this was harder to do than the machine even though I was lifting significantly less. I then kept the same weights and stood up with them down at my sides and lifted so my arms were in a straight line with my shoulders. Same Rep and count, then I grabbed two 10 pounders yo work my triceps. I extended my arm straight up in the air and bent it at the elbow and extended it again straight up over my head. Again same Rep and count. This happened on Thursday morning and now in the wee hours of Sunday morning I'm still extremely sore in my arms.

Was I doing something wrong on the machines? Which way is better to do? Also what is a good way to start working the core area and tummy muscles?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    free weights is all you need, and someone to coach you on form.

Core and stomach?

Squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses.