Exercising like crazy but gaining weight

Options
hey guys
just thought i would share my story and ask for advice
I've recently bumped my exercise calories up to 2300 cals, my BMR is 1684 so i try to burn a total of 4000 a day while eating 2000-2500 cals a day, most of my exercising comes from riding the exercise bike, i find it to be the most calm and best way to exercise, i can watch my favorite sports or movies while im exercising so i just keep going until I've reached my daily cal burned total of 4000 cals, i also play football (soccer) so i train for 90 minutes 2 days a week, then play a 90 minute match on Sundays, Fridays i also play a 30 minute indoor football match, so I'm living a really active lifestyle, since last year i lost almost 40 kgs i was at 57kg from 96kg but since then I've gained around 5-6 kgs and i feel like I'm failing, getting cheated out of it with all this exercise, my hips are getting bigger and I'm getting stretch marks on my right side, all I've wanted was that perfect body and i had something similar in may-april but its slowly just drifting. surely burning 4000 calories a day would do something??? please someone help me

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You're burning less than you think you are, and eating too much to lose weight to make up for it. I suggest investing in a heart rate monitor so you have a better idea of calories burned, and opening your diary so we can have a peek at what you're eating.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Reduce food. Keep the exercise exactly the same and you will lose weight.
  • oshjj
    oshjj Posts: 17
    Options
    You're burning less than you think you are, and eating too much to lose weight to make up for it.
    so 3 1/2 hours of exercise bike is less than i think.....
  • MemphisHellFire
    MemphisHellFire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    instead of slow paced cycling try interval training, it means you can cut down your training time ( 20-40 minutes max) and it will help you loose weight. include some strength training too, build some muscle to increase your metabolic rate. maybe cut down the calories by a couple of hundred, you are probably eating over your allowance. these are just suggestions but they helped me loose fat and lean out :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You're burning less than you think you are, and eating too much to lose weight to make up for it.
    so 3 1/2 hours of exercise bike is less than i think.....

That is true. The exercise is helping you get healthy, strong, and fit but it not burning as many calories as you think.
    I agree about trying interval training.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,548 Member
    Options
    How fast are you cycling and with what resistence? Are you sweating at all? To me it seems that in order to be able to workout for 3 1/2 hours the intensity cannot be very high.

As an example: I was cycling to the office for over three years and did longer tours during the weekends, in every weather. When I moved to another location where cycling was not possible nothing happened to my weight while my food intake stayed the same.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Give us an example of your exercise and the calorie burn per day (like x minutes of y exercise = z calorie burn).

And how are you getting your burn figures?

ETA: You are a 19yo male weighing approx 126lbs? I guestimated you at 5'10" - your BMI is 18 - underweight for a male. Why do you think you need to lose weight?

Also, the calories burned calculator I used indicated a calorie burn of 1984 calories for 3.5hours of cycling at 17mph.