Is there any way to know if I'll have a bunch of loose skin?

Options
2»

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I get your concern, and I have a lot of loose skin, but keep in mind, loose skin is 1000000000 times better than skin stretched tight by fat.

That depends. If my chest has a bunch of loose skin I am getting surgery on it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Lost 100#. Female. Have some loose skin still. Don't care, I'm still thin. Anything's better than being 100# overweight. Anyone close enough to me to see my few remaining skin folds had better not care about them -- or they're too superficial to be that close to me and my body.

Edit to add: most of the loose skin tightened up within a year.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I have to ask, does it really matter? Will you stop losing weight if you are going to have some loose skin? I won't lie, loose skin sucks and I'll have more by the time I finish, but I'm coming up on 55 years old and when I finish, will have lost 300 lbs from my heaviest weight.

This however is counterbalanced by all the great things losing the weight has done for me. Walking, hiking, being active physically and socially are all things that I do. I won't wear shorts or go shirtless outside my own home, but clothing was designed to cover our perceived inadequacies; and I'm looking forward to being able to dress much better than I have ever done.

Your plan for losing slowly will help. I wish you the best of luck and I hope the outcome of your efforts is beyond your wildest expectations.

Oh, and yopeeps...You know I'm having that surgery as soon as they will let me after having lost the weight and stabilized.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Its so hard to tell when you are in the losing process. Mine will look horrible, then it will firm back up after the fat settles again. lol. I will have over a 100 pound loss. Hoping mine wont be too bad, but the stomach and inner thighs may have a little. Hopefully minimal though!!! Drink your water, lose it slow and lift heavy things. You will be ok, even if there is some!!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Its different for everyone, I hardly have any and lost 150 lbs in 1 year... so I don't believe the faster you lose weight the looser your skin is.

150/ 52= average 3 pounds per week. Hmm pretty good.
    I was told by a nutritionist that if you lose the weight healthy no matter the calorie deficit that you will have no loose skin. Sounds like the water intake was good.

I drink +/- a gallon a day, more if I ride.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Its different for everyone, I hardly have any and lost 150 lbs in 1 year... so I don't believe the faster you lose weight the looser your skin is.

I was told by a nutritionist that if you lose the weight healthy no matter the calorie deficit that you will have no loose skin. Sounds like the water intake was good.

I drink +/- a gallon a day, more if I ride.

That works. I do the same. Only 11 AM and already drank 6 cups of water.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Not true. There is a lot more to it than just that. Many of us have lost weight at a reasonable/healthy weight and still have loose skin. There is no one size fits all answer to this problem.

I know genetics.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options

Not true. There is a lot more to it than just that. Many of us have lost weight at a reasonable/healthy weight and still have loose skin. There is no one size fits all answer to this problem.

Yup - Different for everyone
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

+1 for proper use of "Lose/loose."
  • derik999
    derik999 Posts: 73
    Options
    Lose the weight and then worry about it.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    24 years ago, I was very briefly 200 pounds at 5' 3 1/2." I lost the weight quickly by crash-dieting. I have never exercised. The lowest weight I was at AFTER reaching 200 but BEFORE menopause was 118 and I had no loose skin. Within 3 years after menopause, my weight (I was 135 pounds) redistributed. My weight did not change. I developed loose skin without losing weight because my weight redistributed. The loose skin was exacerbated by weight loss down as far as 108 pounds. And further worsened because my skin then got very thin in addition to losing elasticity. So, when I was young I lost 82 pounds, crash-dieting, no exercise, no loose skin. When old, I developed loose skin without weight loss. Age destroys skin elasticity and drastically thins skin. That is why skin gets loose then. Age is what does the damage--and especially, in the case of females, the loss of hormones due to menopause.