Migraine trigger foods

Options

Replies

• MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    caffein.

its used to help aleivitae the pain, but is also a main trigger.

So they say.... I get migranes and I still can't figure out whay. they just happen, and they suck more than anything has ever sucked ever.
  • rsandem
    rsandem Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Orange juice and other citrus fruits. I can have a very small amount, but even a whole grapefruit or large glass of OJ is a sure trigger.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I only rarely get migraines, but for me they have notably been caused by xylitol and other sugar replacers. Also, if I'm really tired and I have too much caffeine and too much sugar, that's a trigger.

My fiance's mother finds that chocolate, coffee, and wine are huge triggers for her (very bad) migraines.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Sugar substitutes - can't drink diet drinks.

However - I find it's more the barometric pressure AND the time of year that most impacts me.

When my allergies are at their worst - which is late March through May - and in the Fall - September through early November - I'm more prone to migraines.

My Allergist has confirmed that there's a connection between allergies and migraines - it's spot-on for me.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    MSG, duck eggs, large amounts of dairy... I also think they come on with stress and overtiredness.

Duck eggs specifically? How interesting! That sucks though!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    For me Oreo's will trigger a migraine . . . as well as items with lots of food dyes in them, though red dye will trigger a migraine and a rash!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Aspartame.

I used to get migraines regularly, as in 1-2x per week, but since cutting out aspartame nearly 2 years ago I've had maybe 2-3 total since then.
  • breena73
    breena73 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hot chocolate from Starbucks!!! I believe it was the strong moca. In fact, chocolate can be a trigger within itself.
  • phil4v7
    phil4v7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Red 40 is my trigger. It constantly surprises me how many things it's included in... some brands of white frosting, some marshmallows, lots of chocolate things, some crackers, I've gotten to the point where I basically have to read the ingredients on everything.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Cheddar cheese for me. No other cheese, though. A chef friend of mine thinks its probably the dye, but I eat other foods that have red dye and I'm fine, so I don't know. I just don't eat it to be on the safe side!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sugar substitutes - can't drink diet drinks.

However - I find it's more the barometric pressure AND the time of year that most impacts me.

When my allergies are at their worst - which is late March through May - and in the Fall - September through early November - I'm more prone to migraines.

My Allergist has confirmed that there's a connection between allergies and migraines - it's spot-on for me.
    Ditto. October and February are my two biggest triggers.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Aspartame.

I used to get migraines regularly, as in 1-2x per week, but since cutting out aspartame nearly 2 years ago I've had maybe 2-3 total since then.
    Fabulous. I've completely cut aspartame and splenda as well the last while. I haven't had a migraine in the last while either...
  • eileengabaldon
    Options
    For me it's citrus (to the point I can't be in a room when someone peels an orange), most fruits (all but melons, berries, and peaches), any cheese that is "stinky", MSG, red wine, red onions (but I'm fine with white, yellow, and green), and super spicy foods. Took me about a year to narrow down exactly which foods were problems. Some of the foods the migraine is almost instant, while others take a few hours or even 10 or 12 hours.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Pringles! I wish I could eat them but even just a couple will trigger a migrain. Artifical sweeteners too, I also get very sick to my stomach when I have them.

My mom will get migrains whenever she eats chocolate. I don't know what I would do if I had that. I need my chocolate!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Cutting out all sugar substitutes has really helped -

AND - what has helped big-time - is I've been getting allergy shots for over a year -

The allergy shots have REALLY helped me - I had been getting 15+ migraines per month during my peak allergy months (March through May, and August through November) - now I'm down to about 2 migraines a month.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    There's a pizza place up here that I can't eat at because the pizza sauce gives me migraines.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Me: Soy. I CANNOT eat soy.

My Aunt: Dairy

My mother: Dairy and gluten.
  • ThisCharmingFellow
    ThisCharmingFellow Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Cheese, chocolate and red wine are my big three.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    My migraines are connected to food, stress, and weather. It's always a combination of the three (or at least two factors). Food triggers are: hard cheese, peanut butter (also have an allergy to that one), red wine, MSG, and aspartame.

It's important to figure out your food triggers because while other factors may be at play, they also may be less under your control than food triggers. If you haven't already, I highly suggest trying an elimination diet.

ETA: dark chocolate. Also a (very sad) food trigger. And refined sugars. I have no fun in life. ;)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Sodium nitrate (found in most pre-packaged meats, cold meats, hot dogs, etc) and aspartame, for me.

This ^^^^^^^^^^ gave my son in highschool terrible migranes. I figured out it was the salami he loved. We cut it out, and the headaches disappeared.