DREADED PLATEAU! How do you overcome?

Options
I have since Jan lost 66 Pounds- Started at 242 Pounds am Now 176 Pounds. 6ft, 19 Year old Female.
Done this by eating 1200 Calories (Yes I know) + eating my exercise calories which were about 500 Calories + 1200 Calories.
I have been hovering over 177 and 176 for the past Month despite eating right + exercise 5 days per week. I do change my workouts up by level of intensity and different types. I miss the good ole days when weight was literally melting off now I feel stuck. I have heard/ read many forums and advice about upping my calories for a while which for force a change in my metabolism? Has this worked for you? if so share?

***I know 1200 Calories per day is ridiculously low for my height/age/etc... But It worked for me, I ate plenty of good foods that kept me well and full and even had calories left over some days. I know now that my body is used to so little that it's slowed down but I am scared to up my calories?

Thank you

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1200 plus exercise calories is fine, are you weighing your food though? If you're not, you might be eating more than you think and reached maintenance at your weight.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    A plateau is nothing to dread. It means you have reached your calorie maintenance level. You have to create another calorie deficiency in order to start losing weight again. If you are tracking in MFP then set your profile to reflect your lifestyle before any exercise. Enter your exercise and eat back a portion of those calories making sure you reach your macros (carbs, fat, protein) and have enough energy to fuel your workouts.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    How much more weight do you want to lose? I'm a 6' 179 lb female (27y/o) and I'm finding it very very hard to lose those last 10-15 lbs. You've lost a lot of weight in a short period of time, you'll have to reevaluate your cal intake. Set to 0.5 lb/week and go from there.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Have you stuck to the same kind of menu, which is so easy to do, you could try some new meals and foods and shock your body that way.

I personally put myself into maintenance a few weeks ago because I was bouncing up and down between 144lbs and 145lbs and I figured if I'm maintaining then maintain with the extra cals and I've lost 1lb each week, I've only 2lbs left to lose now so I'm staying in maintainance
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have no advice. Just wanted to say "Congrats." :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Open your diary for personalized advice, but you're probably underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. Get a digital food scale, and weigh everything you eat—even packaged foods.

Read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    The body adapts to calories in/out to a point. It may sound wacky, but try increasing your intake by 100-200 calories a day and see what happens. Don't work out any harder or longer than you've been doing either. Part of weight loss will be trial and error.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • peppiee
    peppiee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Is it a plateau or have you put on muscle? I weigh the same as I did 1.5 years ago, but my shape is totally different. I still get frustrated by the numbers on the scale, but remind myself that my clothes are fitting better. I am going to get my body fat measured and start tracking that instead.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Try upping you calories for a few weeks like others have suggested. Or, figure out your maintenance calories and stick with that for a few weeks then lower your calories once more to a deficit for losing weight. If you have only a few more pounds to lose, set your weight loss to .5lbs a week. That way you can have a few more calories and will have an easier time adjusting to maintenance when you get there.

Also, try walking on your rest days. Walk a few miles on those days for an active rest day, it will add a minimal calorie burn but it could be a change up you need. If you find time to workout five days a week, you can use that same time period to find time for a walk. Plus walks are nice and make your legs look fantastic. I lost all the weight from my legs purely from walking alone, nothing else made a difference like walking. It's so underrated as an exercise but it is really wonderful.

Are you drinking enough water for your weight? You should drink about 1/3-1/2 of your body weight in ounces of water a day to stay properly hydrated.

Congrats on your weight loss! You're a tall girl! Just like my cousin Melita. You must be a secret Aussie cause I swear that side of my family is giants!