Swimming weight loss success???

Options
Hi all,

Pretty new to mfp and have been trying to lose for a long time but always fell off previous new fad wagons!

I recently overcame some confidence issues and i think i could be more comfortable swimming than in the gym.

I was wondering if people had success this way; how long did you swim and how often? how much weight did you lose? How long did it take? Did you notice a bigger change in the mirror rather than on the scales? Etc

I have never really gone swimming to workout so i imagine i wont be burning so much at first?

Any tips appreciated and before and after snaps are welcome!

Thanks

SW: 190
CW: 175
GW: 140

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating less than you burn. So if you like swimming, swim.

With 35 lbs. to go, set your goal no higher than 1 lb. per week. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

The Sexyoants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    back when i weighed over 300lbs i found it hard to do anything at all. i always loved the water when i was younger and used to be on the swimming team when i was much healtheir and active . so i joined a gym at the time that had a pool in it . it was easier on the joints . i participated in the water aeorobics too as much as i could . it was still hard to do but not so stressful on the joints. now i have my own pool and i praise the high heavens when its time to open it up . i love doing my laps and even relaxing and floating.
  • pelpec
    pelpec Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I joined April 2013 and began with 30 mins daily swim, increasing to 60 minutes daily. After a month or two I added in the 30 day shred and cut back to 30 mins daily swim. After the shred I went on to Boost metabolism burn fat dvd and 6 weeks to 6 pack.
    I started at 189 and lost around 40 lbs over 4-5 months.
    I just got back to it again as I lapsed over the winter and put back on 14 lbs...been making excuses all spring and here we are in the summer already......so back to logging and 60 mins daily swim to try and get down from 161 to 147
    Good luck...I know it can be done but it isn't easy to stay focused.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    It has worked wonders for me. First off, I understand the swimming alone has not made me lose the weight, the calorie deficit has. I have been swimming for an hour a day 5 to 6 days a week since January. I just do laps, breast stroke one way, back stroke the other. It has been great for my joints. It burns many more calories than I ever would have thought. I was at 333 pounds when I started, and swimming an hour burned over 1000 calories for me. Of course the calories burned have lessened as I have lost weight, and I generally do not eat back all of my exercise calories. Half to 3/4 depending how hungry I am. Anyway, it has been great for me, I hope if you choose this route it will work for you as well. Good luck OP :)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Swimming and walking are ways I have lost most of my weight. Swimming is a total body workout and you can really burn a lot of calories doing it. Try looking it up on youtube for ideas on how to get a good workout in the pool.
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It has worked wonders for me. First off, I understand the swimming alone has not made me lose the weight, the calorie deficit has. I have been swimming for an hour a day 5 to 6 days a week since January. I just do laps, breast stroke one way, back stroke the other. It has been great for my joints. It burns many more calories than I ever would have thought. I was at 333 pounds when I started, and swimming an hour burned over 1000 calories for me. Of course the calories burned have lessened as I have lost weight, and I generally do not eat back all of my exercise calories. Half to 3/4 depending how hungry I am. Anyway, it has been great for me, I hope if you choose this route it will work for you as well. Good luck OP :)

For me, this pretty much sums up my experiences. Basically, you will only lose weight if you burn more calories than you consume, and swimming burns calories, so it's going to help.

I started swimming more seriously on 1st July, and my weight previously had been up / down around a pound each week as I'm on a maintenance plan. This week, with the swimming I've lost nearly 4 pounds. Undoubtedly the increase isn't just down to the swimming alone, but it will have helped.

So, I say go for it!
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Love swimming!!!
    I am 32 lbs down and swim everyday.(although, I try to take days off).It is great for burning calories and like the other posters I found I started at about 30 minutes and now will go an hour or more.