Does weight lifting chill you out like running/ HIIT cardio?

Options
From reading the experiences of people here on MFP experienced with getting healthy, there seems to be a trend of first cutting cals, then adding cardio and then later adding weight training. I am thinking about adding weight training. I am wondering:
1) Do you get the same high/ chill-out effect from lifting as with running or HIIT? That's a big motivator for me because I really enjoy that aspect.
2) Do bodyweight alternatives work well? I haven't heavy lifted for a long time, thought this may be a good way to ease into it.
Thanks!

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents-- I think it's called 'runner's high' because most people get it from sustained cardio (among those who get it at all). Though there are ways to get a cardio effect from lifting. l like kettlebells.

Body weight is fine in place of free weights, too. You can do some really tough stuff with body weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    That'd be subjective. Each person will feel differently about any exercise. When I'm done with cardio, I don't get the "chill out" feeling. I'm just glad it's done because I don't like doing it very much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LambrettaVVespa
    LambrettaVVespa Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I enjoy weight training a whole lot more than I enjoy running. That's not to say that I don't enjoy running though - I hate it at first and then enjoy and afterwards feel chilled out, relaxed and in a good mood. With weight training, I enjoy the entire thing. I also actually find I have MORE energy and feel really motivated after a good session of weight training whereas with running I just want to settle down and chill.

As ninerbuff said: it's subjective. We don't all enjoy and react in the same way to the same things.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure - I don't like running. I love a good intervals class though! While I don't think the high is the "same" - I do feel just as proud of myself. I leave both workouts with a big grin on my face.

I just started lifting and don't feel ready to completely drop cardio. I like spin and I like the interval class... so I'll keep going.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If I lift without any activity during rests no I do not get that "chill" feeling after a workout so I prefer to still do bursts of cardio in between sets. I know for some this may hinder progress or take away some bit of strength for the reps themselves but its how I roll, anything from jogging to jumping jacks. It amps up the calorie burn and it keeps my heart rate up a lot more and I actually feel much more pumped to finish the workout strong.
  • marylynndrake
    marylynndrake Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experience, quite a variety. I will try it and see what happens.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I find resistance training to be incredibly boring, all the messing about with plates disrupts the experience for me. If I'm running or riding then I can just clear my head and enjoy the space that it gives me. More challenging when it's a trail or offroad session, either on foot or two wheels, but both are far more satisfying.

I find that bodyweight gives me a useful compromise, I can run for 5km out to the park or into the woods, do 45 minutes of bodyweight work and then run home.

The health warning on all of that is, I'm not doing this with the objective of weight loss, I'm interested in distance running and cycling performance. The weight training supports my running and cycling objectives.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I do both distance running and weight work and love both but for different reasons. I don't experience that runners euphoria stuff, have never noticed any sort endorphin rush, but I love the time to myself and the feeling of accomplishment I get when I finish a good run.

Weights are a different thing entirely, weights are about pushing my muscles, feeling strong and, (I admit it) grunting like a cave person :laugh: . It lets me be aggressive and work out tension in a healthy way. Luckily, I'm alone in the weight room at my school, so no one hears the screaming and cursing when I bomb out on a lift I was going for, but you get the idea.... Also, haven't seen this mentioned, but I sleep like the DEAD after a good weight day, whereas running can leave me wiped out physically, but mentally amped and having a hard time settling down.