rice

Options
2»

Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    does anybody have a recipe though? I'm looking for an Asian/Chinese healthy recipe for rice that has a lot in it besides the rice i only have 2 cups of rice i just need something to put in it like veggies or meat and spices. I already understand that its good for you in small amount \s but im trying to find an actually recipe for it for a dinner not just to cook the rice and I understand I need the rice cooker but for a newly graduate of high school going to collage without a job I can't really get one until its either Christmas or my birthday which both is a long time from now and I'm trying to plain this dinner for this week.

You don't need a rice cooker. Ive gone years without one and I am not going to clutter my kitchen when I can make it on the stove. Rice really has a mild flavor. Put anything you like in it. Chicken, veggies, garlic, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, cilantro, etc. The possibilities are endless.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I use my leftovers to make a Mexican style goulash.....Though with his food allergy you'd need to be careful.
    taco meat
    rice
    corn
    salsa

I just cook my rice, and drain it. Then add other ingredients just to heat through. No specific measurement to ingredients it's more a matter of taste. You could garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, and guacamole. Add a few tortillas or wheat pita chips for dipping if you like.
  • LemonLizard
    LemonLizard Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy with the peppers and onions and curry however sadly my boyfriend cant eat peppers he highly allergic to them :ohwell: That garlic and onions sounds good too but I want to make it a main dish for a dinner and it sounds too little in a way and needs something more in it to make it a dinner plus my boyfriend would be board of it and not want to eat nice idea though I would have it on my own ^.^ and yes thats what I was thinking something Chinese or Asian but I never cook that stuff before.

I normally use sushi rice, because I love making rice balls to bring to work, but I also use sushi rice just as sides for my dinners. Oh, and you don't need a rice cooker at all. I follow this recipe every time and it works perfectly for me.

http://www.justhungry.com/handbook/cooking-courses/japanese-cooking-101-lesson-2-great-japanese-rice

Asian recipes often require ingredients that might not be too common, but a simple one is rice balls/onigiri
    http://www.justhungry.com/2007/01/onigiri_omusubi_revisited_an_e.html

All you really need is the rice, though fillings and nori sheets make it even better.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This is always good at our house..ww.simply food.com

Makes: 6 servings, about 2/3 cup each

Active Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

NUTRITION PROFILE
    Low calorie | Low saturated fat | Low cholesterol | Low sodium | Healthy weight | Heart healthy | Diabetes appropriate | Gluten free |

View Our Nutrition Guidelines » INGREDIENTS
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    1 cup long-grain white rice (see Brown Rice Variation)
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
    1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
    1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables (such as corn, peas and carrots), thawed

PREPARATION
    Heat a large heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add oil and rice and cook, stirring, until the rice is just beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute more. Pour tomato sauce over the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
    Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the rice is cooked, about 15 minutes. Stir in vegetables and serve.
    TIPS & NOTES
    Brown Rice Variation: Use 1 cup long-grain brown rice and 1 3/4 cups broth. In Step 2, simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes before adding the vegetables.
    NUTRITION
    Per serving: 193 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 438 mg sodium; 254 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Folate (25% daily value).

Carbohydrate Servings: 2

Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
  • Voww
    Voww Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love cold rice salads, especially in hot weather - make one with brown basmati and a little wild (black) rice, cook then cool it quickly with cold water and add a little of anything you like ... diced/sliced celery, sweet red/orange/yellow peppers, apple, sultanas, a few toasted cashews or pumpkin/sunflower seeds, loads of black pepper, a dash of chilli powder maybe, a glug of red wine, chopped fresh herbs like rosemary or coriander/cilantro ... mix together, cover and leave for a while or preferably overnight in fridge as flavour improves.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i make a huge batch of brown rice at beginning of the week and store in the fridge.
    stir fried chicken or turkey and veggies is mainly what i eat with it ..
    stir fry the veggies in olive oil with some garlic and ginger .. i use courgettes / mushrooms / asparagus / broccoli / cauliflower mainly ..not always together .. lol
    once its all browned off nicely add the strips of either raw or grilled chicken/turkey .. stir fry a couple of minutes till u can see its cooked then add the rice and stir fry again a bit longer..add soy sauce if you want and chinese 5spice .. once on the plate throw over the top some ground linseeds (flax) - ground pumpkin seeds and some sesame seeds ..makes a real nice dish
    i usually make enough for 2 days and microwave it at work ..

also try for quickness .. frozen sprouts / chicken or turkey with the brown rice and the ground seeds added after .. i have this at work and don't even stir fry the boiled rice ..it just gets added in the dish ready to heat up later ..

tip for stir frying rice .. don't stir fry it from hot ..make sure its been cooled or stored in the fridge ..it tastes much better.