Does mfp take in consideration our BMR?

Options
The BMR says I burn 1674 calories doing nothing (sitting, sleeping etc) is that already calculated in my calories needed daily?

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yes, you do not get to add on 1674 to your calorie goal each day.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes.

MFP accounts for BMR than multiplies that by the daily activity factor you choose. Bear in mind that this activity factor does not include exercise, just daily life like your job, etc.

It then subtracts the number of calories needed to put you in a deficit according to your weight loss goal.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    To lose 18 lbs., set your goal to .5 lb. per week. Log your exercise, and eat back at least half your exercise calories. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The Sexypants post should be required reading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The BMR says I burn 1674 calories doing nothing (sitting, sleeping etc) is that already calculated in my calories needed daily?

Yes. When you tell MFP (I want to lose X pounds daily and I am Y active and here is my bodyweight, height, age and gender) here is what happens.

For this example I am going to provide my own numbers just to give hard numbers.

I tell MFP I am a 6' tall 35 year old man at 188 pounds and lightly active. It gets from my gender age height and weight that my BMR is about 1800 and then on top of that it multiplies my BMR by probably around 1.3 for me being lightly active. I tell it I want to lose 1.2 pounds per week and as a result it calculates what I would have to eat for a 1.2 pound a week goal which would be a 520 calorie per day deficit. So it tells me I should eat (1800 *1.3 - 520) = 1800 calories per day.

If I had told it I was sedentary it probably would have multiplied my BMR by about 1.1 instead of 1.3 and it would have told me (1800*1.1-520) = 1500 calories per day.

If I exercise I enter my calories burned from exercise and it adds that to the total I should eat for the day. That is MFP in a nutshell.
  • madmanmk
    madmanmk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    yea it calculates your average daily uses
  • Bambi8137
    Bambi8137 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Darn lol!
  • Bambi8137
    Options
    Ok got it! How do I reset my goal from the app?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Tap the three bars at the top left of the screen, then tap "Goals". From there you can change your current weight, Activity level, how much weight you want to lose per week , and what percentage of fat, protein and carbs (aka macro breakdown) you'd like to target. You can also manually enter a daily calorie number rather than allow MFP to calculate it for you. Lots of people calculate what they should be eating from other sites and manually plug it into MFP as their daily goal
  • Bambi8137
    Options
    I'm so happy I found this site!! You Guys are so nice and helpful! (Most of you)
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options

HI - The app isn't great about resetting the goal. It is much easier on the desktop program.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/8008105-change-calorie-intake-manually
    Website, Windows Phone and BlackBerry:

Log in to http://www.myfitnesspal.com in a web browser Click “My Home”, then “Goals”, then click the “Change Goals” button at the bottom of the page. Choose the “Custom” option and you’ll be taken to a page where you can set your own targets for all of the nutrients we track. Once you’ve saved your changes, those same changes will appear in the app the next time the app syncs to the website Windows Phone and BlackBerry users can adjust their Net Calorie goal directly in the app on the “More” page by tapping “Edit Profile” then “Net Calorie Goal.”
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options

Yes. When you tell MFP (I want to lose X pounds daily and I am Y active and here is my bodyweight, height, age and gender) here is what happens.

For this example I am going to provide my own numbers just to give hard numbers.

I tell MFP I am a 6' tall 35 year old man at 188 pounds and lightly active. It gets from my gender age height and weight that my BMR is about 1800 and then on top of that it multiplies my BMR by probably around 1.3 for me being lightly active. I tell it I want to lose 1.2 pounds per week and as a result it calculates what I would have to eat for a 1.2 pound a week goal which would be a 520 calorie per day deficit. So it tells me I should eat (1800 *1.3 - 520) = 1800 calories per day.

If I had told it I was sedentary it probably would have multiplied my BMR by about 1.1 instead of 1.3 and it would have told me (1800*1.1-520) = 1500 calories per day.

If I exercise I enter my calories burned from exercise and it adds that to the total I should eat for the day. That is MFP in a nutshell.

^^this!
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's what it's based on. Depending on your activity level, MFP will add on more calories to your BMR so that you can still lose weight and be healthy. Of course, you can pick your own calorie goals based on your BMR instead. For instance, my BMR is 1528 and MFP recommended 1890 for my activity level, but I found that around 1700 works better for me, especially if it's a day off.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

HI - The app isn't great about resetting the goal. It is much easier on the desktop program.

Actually, the app is pretty great at doing it.