I CANNOT lose weight!?

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm sure this is a common topic that's brought up, but I have a constant struggle with my weight. I'm a 5'3" female, 20 years old, and around 130 lbs (I don't regularly weigh myself and mostly go by how I look/my clothes fit). I've been overweight most of my life and have only been somewhat "normal" looking for around 5 years or so. However, "the last 10 pounds" (mostly in my love handles and thighs) will NOT budge! I've tried almost everything, from HIIT to heavy lifting to steady state cardio to eating 1200 calories (don't do that anymore). Sometimes I see very little changes, maybe half an inch lost here or there, but it takes maximum effort on my part and the results are so slow!
I have NO idea how I can finally look and feel my best, and would very much appreciate any advice you all might have, or similar experiences you'd like to share. I'm contemplating starting bodyrock (along with additional cardio) and going "raw" in a desperate attempt to finally look as in shape as I truly think that I am. I'm really not sure. PLEASE help, and thank you!!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Vanity pounds come off very, very slowly. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and be patient. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    5'3 and 130lbs isn't overweight.... so I'm not sure if you mean you've previously lost weight? You said you have only become normal looking in the last 5 years, which would mean, going from 20 you were 15 when you started looking normal. In other words, you hit puberty. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure you have a healthy body image. Perhaps you should speak to a professional about how you look. As I said, you're by no means over weight.

As for your diet/exercise.... 1200 calories is way too low for you. It sounds like you're trying for an aggressive deficit when your body doesn't have the facilities to necessitate one. As for the exercise, have you considered a good weight lifting program? Body recomp is probably more what you should be looking for to lose inches rather than dieting and cardioing yourself to death.
  • ahmedsa1216
    ahmedsa1216 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah so just to make clear, I currently eat around 1800-2000 calories at maintenance - eating 1200 was just a phase when I was younger and more ignorant about health.
    Also, I currently am around 130 pounds, which is a normal weight for me. At my heaviest I was 150 pounds.
    My problem currently is to lose around 10 more pounds but, more accurately, is to finally minimize my love handles and thighs (NOTE: I know spot reduction is impossible). Thanks!
  • ahmedsa1216
    ahmedsa1216 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Also, I eat very cleanly and make sure to hit my macronutrient goals :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I'm sure this is a common topic that's brought up, but I have a constant struggle with my weight. I'm a 5'3" female, 20 years old, and around 130 lbs (I don't regularly weigh myself and mostly go by how I look/my clothes fit). I've been overweight most of my life and have only been somewhat "normal" looking for around 5 years or so. However, "the last 10 pounds" (mostly in my love handles and thighs) will NOT budge! I've tried almost everything, from HIIT to heavy lifting to steady state cardio to eating 1200 calories (don't do that anymore). Sometimes I see very little changes, maybe half an inch lost here or there, but it takes maximum effort on my part and the results are so slow!
    I have NO idea how I can finally look and feel my best, and would very much appreciate any advice you all might have, or similar experiences you'd like to share. I'm contemplating starting bodyrock (along with additional cardio) and going "raw" in a desperate attempt to finally look as in shape as I truly think that I am. I'm really not sure. PLEASE help, and thank you!!

1. You're not overweight.
    2. Body recomposition (what I think you're aiming for) will always happen very slowly. There are no quick fixes or you'd see a lot more people looking like fitness models. Nothing worth the effort is effortless.
    3. Get a program and stick with it for at least 6 months. You said you lifted heavy (hopefully progressive weight lifting and an actual program), do that again and stick with it. That will likely give you the body changes you're looking for as long as you're getting enough protein.
    4. Eat at a slight deficit (no more than .5 lbs loss per week)
    5. Good luck.
  • Lara124911
    Lara124911 Posts: 23
    Options
    I was over weight and tried so many things. Different things work for different people and I was lucky enough to find one that worked for me. I lost 18 pounds in one month without much exercise and it's been a life changer. I'm a little embarrased to post my before and after photos here but if anyone actually cares to hear what I've been doing then I'd be happy to help in any way. Just shoot me an email at secretosdelara@gmail.com and I'll show you my before and after photos, and tell you about how things are going for me with the stuff I've tried. I wish someone would have helped me out when I was struggling to find a solution so if I can help you then it would make my day