The Importance of Failure

Options
I’ve gained weight this week and gotten very wobbly with my diet. I feel bad about it. For whatever reason, though, I’m thinking of challenges and failures as gifts rather than a stone around my neck, proclaiming to the world I’m weak.

There is power in failing. At such crossroads we are forced to stop. We are forced to consider, very deliberately, which way we should go. We are also forced to confront the question: “How much do I want this? Should I just give up? Where do I go from here?” We have a chance to promise ourselves that we won’t abandon the road, that we won’t slink back to familiar places where we just let ourselves rot. It’s not for lack of bravery we give up, I think. Courage is on a spectrum and it can change depending on the context. Each time we get up and try again, we build our character, which helps build our health and body, which gives us the strength to promise ourselves, once again, that we can reach the next goal post, and the one after that, and because life is this way, all the stopping places, good and hard, that follow. There is no true end if you are determined to keep growing and learning. That means there is always—ALWAYS—another chance, a different angle, many side journeys that should not be see as wastes of time or inessential. Like failures, deviations from the path can hold great lessons and great gifts.

Success propels you, you speed along, getting energy from the momentum , the journey like the wind at your back, helping you along (although it is really you helping you along). There is such a thing as success; we all know what it looks and feels like when we taste it. But for me, my failures teach me the most about who I am and what I am capable of. They keep me humble (mostly…). Failure burnishes me, and without it, I can’t succeed.

Replies

• avril2626
    avril2626 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I love this!! I think we have been on a parallel path lately. I think that our failures, deviations, and the bumps in the road that we encounter ( or cause), are all true opportunities for growth. I tend to do more self- examination when i am struggling, and there is a lot of emotion and history wrapped up in my relationship with food, as there is with most of us. If i just cruise though this process without any struggles or setbacks, i think i won't address any of my underlying mindset and ways of behaving and coping that got me where i was. I also need to know that i am having problems with this in order to work on being proactive in taking care of me... not always as natural as taking care of everyone else in my life... great post ;)
  • Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    We all fear failure, losing and not being the best but what we forget is we don't grow from perfection, we grow from our struggles and failures. What we are capable of is usually restricted by our minds - So we must try to over power that mental negativity we may get and continue with our actions we need to reach our goals.
  • turtlebeth
    turtlebeth Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! I feel that the successes I cherish the most are the ones I have truly had to work hard and long for. I am working hard on this journey, harder than I ever have before. I finally feel like I am doing the right thing because the struggles and intermittent failure days remind me that in the end I will appreciate what I have done, been through and accomplished!
  • caj45
    caj45 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a quote on my fridge

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now"
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    YES!! This!
  • awesome_ani
    Options
    Great post. Well said.
  • bjhazel
    bjhazel Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you this makes me feel better about myself . Instead of digging deeper into a hole it make me feel that I have now learned something about mysel
    f. Thank you.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I’ve gained weight this week and gotten very wobbly with my diet. I feel bad about it. For whatever reason, though, I’m thinking of challenges and failures as gifts rather than a stone around my neck, proclaiming to the world I’m weak.

There is power in failing. At such crossroads we are forced to stop. We are forced to consider, very deliberately, which way we should go. We are also forced to confront the question: “How much do I want this? Should I just give up? Where do I go from here?” We have a chance to promise ourselves that we won’t abandon the road, that we won’t slink back to familiar places where we just let ourselves rot. It’s not for lack of bravery we give up, I think. Courage is on a spectrum and it can change depending on the context. Each time we get up and try again, we build our character, which helps build our health and body, which gives us the strength to promise ourselves, once again, that we can reach the next goal post, and the one after that, and because life is this way, all the stopping places, good and hard, that follow. There is no true end if you are determined to keep growing and learning. That means there is always—ALWAYS—another chance, a different angle, many side journeys that should not be see as wastes of time or inessential. Like failures, deviations from the path can hold great lessons and great gifts.

Success propels you, you speed along, getting energy from the momentum , the journey like the wind at your back, helping you along (although it is really you helping you along). There is such a thing as success; we all know what it looks and feels like when we taste it. But for me, my failures teach me the most about who I am and what I am capable of. They keep me humble (mostly…). Failure burnishes me, and without it, I can’t succeed.

OP Thanks for sharing.:flowerforyou: Never really thought about it that way.
  • Leighsters
    Leighsters Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Amen.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Why you need to fail (long video, but awesome if you have the time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhxcFGuKOys&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have to recommit to my goal every single day!! I consider it my "practice".
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes to all of this
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    CoSign!

It has taken me a long time to learn this lesson. Some days I ask myself which I want more. To eat this giant thing or ice cream or keep losing. Some days I have chosen the ice cream some days I chose to lose.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I love this!! I think we have been on a parallel path lately. I think that our failures, deviations, and the bumps in the road that we encounter ( or cause), are all true opportunities for growth. I tend to do more self- examination when i am struggling, and there is a lot of emotion and history wrapped up in my relationship with food, as there is with most of us. If i just cruise though this process without any struggles or setbacks, i think i won't address any of my underlying mindset and ways of behaving and coping that got me where i was. I also need to know that i am having problems with this in order to work on being proactive in taking care of me... not always as natural as taking care of everyone else in my life... great post ;)

Beautifully said! And it is exactly how I feel. It gives me more hope that this time I'll be able to stop the yo' yo'ing, because instead of fighting myself at every step, or throwing up my hands when I hit those bumps, I'll embrace the difficulties and see what they can teach me.
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    We all fear failure, losing and not being the best but what we forget is we don't grow from perfection, we grow from our struggles and failures. What we are capable of is usually restricted by our minds - So we must try to over power that mental negativity we may get and continue with our actions we need to reach our goals.

Absolutely.
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    Excellent post! I feel that the successes I cherish the most are the ones I have truly had to work hard and long for. I am working hard on this journey, harder than I ever have before. I finally feel like I am doing the right thing because the struggles and intermittent failure days remind me that in the end I will appreciate what I have done, been through and accomplished!

That's how I feel too! I find that feeling of accomplishment goes deeper when you've grappled your way toward your goals. I'd like to think that when we wrestle with our body/health challenges and come out the other side, the change will not be ephemeral. The roots will be stronger.
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    I have a quote on my fridge

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now"

I love this!
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    Great post. Well said.

Thanks Ani!
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    Thank you this makes me feel better about myself . Instead of digging deeper into a hole it make me feel that I have now learned something about mysel
    f. Thank you.

The struggle can be so hard at times. I think I've been more patient with the bumps and turns now that I'm filtering them through a belief that no struggle is in vain.
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    Why you need to fail (long video, but awesome if you have the time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhxcFGuKOys&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thank you! I'm definitely going to check it out.