Exercise phobic!

Replies

• je0689
    je0689 Posts: 10 Member
    Hi everyone.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to bother replying to my topic!
    I have previously been wary of such online community forums (keyboard support!) however, I'm finding it therapeutic to be able to talk to you all and share support and tips so THANK YOU!

Todays update - woke up this morning feel groggy, sick and dizzy. Got myself in a fluster feeling like I'd failed before I begun.
    So I continued with my day, had some breakfast and completed some household chores then I began!

I did the 'Josie Gibson's 30 second slim' DVD - Level 1. It was so hard!! Sweat was pouring!!! Had to follow the easier exercise options at times but now I am sat here typing this and I feel so much better! My legs are like jelly and I still feel slightly sick, but in a good way? Fairly proud of myself and if it wasn't for knowing I was going to have to type on here and say 'I couldn't do it' I don't think I'd have had the guts to just get on and go for it!!

I've logged the activity as aerobics (high impact). Does this sound right to you guys? I am unsure exactly how to log the dvd given that I don't own a calorie counter wrist watch thingy! The makers of the dvd say the 'average' person will burn 300-350 calories per session but Im dubious to rate my calorie loss so high and came out with '190 burnt'.

Jen x
  • je0689

I also love the couch to 5K program for running, if you want to get into that sort of thing :)

This sounds intriguing as I will definitely be starting from the couch! Haven't heard of it before?
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Well done for getting a dvd and doing exercise, easiest way to log it is get a HRM and then that will tell you what you burn, then you can create the exercise you have done input the cals.

I do this for a lot of my exercises, excluding Running, swimming and cycling, but I am currently doing the tough mudders workout and MFP doesn`t have that so I add it in use my HRM which gives you the most accurate cals burned.

Also the red face will go as you get fitter, the first time I cycled 20miles I was red faced sweaty etc, I still get sweaty (sign of a good workout) but now I`m fitter I don`t get a red face more just cheeks. It all gets better, just take it slowly.
  • AshleighCowie88
    AshleighCowie88 Posts: 100 Member
    I know how you feel!!! I wont go to the gym alone (even with a friend I feel like people are staring) and I cant go running outdoors (though hoping to change that in the next few weeks!)

I bought a treadmill which I use for doing C25K. I also use Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (I have some other DVDs of hers but not used them yet).

Im training for Tough Mudder in June and its proving a real motivator for me.

Hope this helped :)
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    I felt the exact same and was in almost the same position/age you are. I hated that shiny red wheezy me, but a) that was the old me sweating out so the new me could exist and b) sweat is just fat crying!!
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Keep in mind that a lot of those "slim" girls you speak of were more than likely in your shoes at one time too and would never pass judgment at someone who was trying to improve their health! I actually use the skinny girls as motivation to work harder while at the gym. I also really envy the people who are soaked with sweat! No matter how hard I work I've never been able to achieve that kind of burn! I know it may seem weird, but this is actually a mini goal I have because I feel it shows that I've really kicked *kitten*! :smile:
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    :flowerforyou: It's been my experience that the people at the gym don't care what you look like. Don't judge the skinny perfect girl, because you don't know her story. She may have had to struggle to get there or maybe she would like to gain weight for health reasons. We shouldn't compare ourselves to others, but take a look at what we think we want to change about ourselves and take the healthy steps that are necessary to do just that.

Also you might just want to talk to some of those perfect looking people. I have said things like I might joke and say here I am sweating and feeling like I'm going to pass out and you still look like you can enter a Miss America contest. How do you do it? When you talk to them you will se what kind of person they are if they smile and joke back or say something nice or encouraging maybe. They might even offer some advice or tell you how they got to that point and who knows you might even become friends. They may be snobs and that's even more reason to not worry about what they think any way. In the end when you work at this no matter what you will know you cared enough about yourself to try. Also who cares, because when your wedding day comes you will be the beautiful bride wearing that beautiful dress and making that man that asked you to be his wife feel like the luckiest man on earth.

So keep in mind why you go to the gym. It's doesn't matter what the other people may think of you. What matters is how you feel about you. Get moving and doing what you need to do at the gym or at home, but don't let other people stop you from reaching your goal.
  • je0689

You're brave! Best of luck!! x
  • je0689
    I felt the exact same and was in almost the same position/age you are. I hated that shiny red wheezy me, but a) that was the old me sweating out so the new me could exist and b) sweat is just fat crying!!

Thank you! Its great to know I'm not alone :)
  • je0689
    Thankyou tuckeychicken.

I realise I am doing the exact opposite of what I want - I am judging those 'perfect girls' whilst praying that they do not judge me.
    Perhaps this journey will help me learn a few things about myself rather than just attempting to make physical changes?

We are nowhere near setting a date yet, I still have a year of university left to complete but that was a lovely comment. If I can make myself feel happier, and we are happy together that should be all that matters.

x
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    I have always avoided exercise. I was sedentary even as a child. Physical activity makes me agitated, hostile. I am told this is "adrenaline." I tried taking swimming lessons at age 15, just in case anyone ever tried to murder me by throwing me in the river. I wss unable to learn to float, much less swim. My limbs were not strong enough to cut through the water! Never have I at any time of life been able to run more than several steps. Literally. I came in dead last every single time we were forced to run in school. Never learned to dance or skate. The only child in my first grade class who couldn't skip. Energy is a foreign concept to me. I watch my dogs run, and I am in awe. I am 61 years old and very healthy. I am 9 pounds over my ideal weight of 112, but I started my diet this past Saturday. I have a very fast metabolism and can eat much more than most people to be this size. I am not a masochist. I have. a low tolerance for pain. I realize that high-strung, energetic Type A personalities find exercise relaxing and stress-reducing. I am a mellow Type B. Physical activity stresses me tremendously. My point is this: exercise is not for everyone.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    walking is great- do it at a good pace and it will have real benefit.
    Do whatever exercise you feel comfortable with and then increase as you get used to it.

DVDs at home are brilliant but honestly don't worry about what other people think of you at the gym. Anyone who is there to work hard doesn't notice anyone around them anyway.

And give yourself more credit- you are trying hard, getting out of your comfort zone and making changes- Well done!
  • AshleighCowie88
    AshleighCowie88 Posts: 100 Member

You're brave! Best of luck!! x

I'll need all the luck I can gather! Thank you! :)
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Hi everyone.

Bit of background:

I'm a 25 year old couch potato! Would like to lose around 40lbs in the hope of boosting my self esteem and so I can stop being
    "The fat friend" !! Got engaged at Christmas and there's absolutely no pressure from him to do this - it's about me and how I feel about myself. My weight has been consistent for about 4 years now (suppose I should be pleased it hasn't increased!) but my main issue is I don't like exercise! Well....that's a bit of a lie. I enjoy swimming when I actually go and I started jogging a few months ago (not for very long!) but I hate being the "fat girl" sweating it out. Literally bright red face and sweat pouring. It's so unattractive and embarrassing next to all the slim, perfect hair and make up types!!

Anyone else feel like this? Words of wisdom or support?? :(

X

Sweat is just fat crying! Embrace the sweat, who cares what people think! Once you start losing weight you won't be the "fat" girl exercising for long! Good luck :)
  • Take up a team sport that you love, you will bearly know you are exercising!

I never get time to 'work out' as such, but I still do around 2 hours exercise a day as I own a sports horse and ride with my local riding club, so every day I am mucking out, grooming and training with him. I've been doing it all my life and have never had to watch my weight because of it! In fact the only reason I have this 7 pounds to lose now is because my horse injured himself last year and was out for months, and I really love chocolate. Combination between no riding and lots of chocolate, well you can imagine, ha.

Good luck! x
  • I feel exactly like you! I can't stand going to the gym or doing the same routine exercise over and over again. So I started looking for activities where I could do something that didn't remind me of exercise, but that moved my body sufficiently to where I felt like I got a good work out.... so I signed up to volunteer at a local horse rescue. (Not for everyone, but I love animals!!) I mostly volunteer as a barn hand, but I get to ride horses etc. and after an hour or two of feeding, watering and grooming horses it feels like I got a great workout.
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    I loved doing T25 at home before I was confident enough to go to the gym. And there are so many at home exercises to do! Even doing jumping jacks during commercials while watching tv helps tremendously!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member

I've logged the activity as aerobics (high impact). Does this sound right to you guys? I am unsure exactly how to log the dvd given that I don't own a calorie counter wrist watch thingy! The makers of the dvd say the 'average' person will burn 300-350 calories per session but Im dubious to rate my calorie loss so high and came out with '190 burnt'.

It depends on how accurate you're trying to be with your logging in general. If you're using a food scale, and trying to get everything dead on, then, you'd probably want a Fitbit to accurately log calories burned, as well. 190 might be just a touch on the low side ( how long did you exercise for? ) But, better to log calories burned low, and calories eaten to the high side, than vice versa. As you did.

Physical activity stresses me tremendously. My point is this: exercise is not for everyone.

I read all the replies to see if someone had already pointed this out. And you did. Since the OP has already embarked on an exercise program, or is actively trying to get one started... I don't want to take away from that. But, the fact is, for weight loss only, it's calories in / calories out. Nowhere does it say that anyone HAS to exercise to lose weight. Simply eat at a caloric deficit, and you'll lose weight. Not everyone exercises.

That said... I lost some weight before I started exercising. I just wasn't 'ready' to start exercising right away. After I'd lost some weight, I slowly ( I am a sloth :blushing: ) started exercising. I got back on the stairclimber that was being used as an indoor clothesline, then I went back to the pool. Then, back to the gym. I don't really like physical activity. But, as time went on, I found it more tolerable. And, I don't wanna jinx myself, but maybe, just maybe, I'm starting to enjoy it. I am now somewhat addicted to it.

And while there is no requirement to exercise to lose weight.... I know for myself, that I feel much better physically, and about life itself, because I am exercising. And the #1 reason that I exercise, is because it means I can EAT MORE FOOD ! And gawdamn, I like to eat. :wink:

Also, check these links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ETA links
  • cmouse41
    cmouse41 Posts: 1 Member
    I reckon most people who don't like sport or exercise just didn't happen across something they like doing yet.
    I never got on with most team sports that well and yet that is what most schools focus on but luckily back then I found gymnastics and then trampolining (excellent all round exercise...give it a go if you haven't tried it yet).
    I didn't do any exercise for many years and then realised I really needed to do something (gaining weight and still being a smoker back then) so joined a gym which bored me to tears so I went back to my childhood sport of trampolining and 10 years later (and into my 40s now) am still doing it and loving it and trying other sports out every so often too. Latest discovery is bouldering (no harness and ropes to worry about) which is great fun.
    I also have a load of fitness games for Wii and PS that I do such as Zumba and EAactive etc. though I'm happy to admit that somedays I really just cba and just fall asleep on the sofa :-)
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Then why do something so strenuous? Just do what you like, but do some of it everyday.

If your intent is to keep this off permanently, your solution has to evolve into happy habits. Do what you LIKE.

(note my picture - there is no exercise called "running around like a goofy kid swatting at your friends with swords" - but I do it and love it and it is exercise, except I don't even think of it like that. I probably burn about 800 calories or more any given practice)