I just don't get it...

Options
If losing weight is calories out over calories in then why exactly am I eating back calories after I've exercised. I just need help in understanding the logic.

I haven't been eating my calories burned as of yet as it just doesn't make sense to me but maybe my mfp friends can help.

Replies

• brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back... Personal choice.

The reason is that safe deficit has already been made between what your body burns in a day and what you are eating.. So that exercise will make to large of a deficit. Exercise is still recommended.

You can google the different opinions out there.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you're setting your calorie goal for the day.

MFP's goal is determined based on you essentially sitting at a desk job all day and just basic body functioning. So if you're doing exercise above and beyond that standard, you'll need to replenish some of those calories spent.

If you're using a TDEE-% method and calculating your calorie goal on your own, then an 'average' amount of exercise is already figured into your calorie allotment. In that case you'd only need to eat some back if you had an extraordinarily high burn day.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Yup, I don't eat anything back when I work out. To me, it defeats the purpose.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If losing weight is calories out over calories in then why exactly am I eating back calories after I've exercised. I just need help in understanding the logic.

I haven't been eating my calories burned as of yet as it just doesn't make sense to me but maybe my mfp friends can help.

But looking through your diary it appears you have a basic aversion to food - you're not even hitting 900 calories total most days. If you're exercising, you really do need to eat to fuel your body. Under eating is NOT healthy. You could get dizzy and pass out from that stuff, or start having issues with hair, skin, nails, etc as your body starts digging way too deep for energy supplies. Not to mention robbing muscles and bone for nutrients

As stated in previous post, the calorie target MFP gives you doesn't take exercise into account, yet you'll still lose weight. The exercise then becomes like "free calories" that you can eat. This is especially helpful for people who do strenuous exercise and need to fuel the workout, and also people who just love to eat. Especially if you're not cutting any food in particular out of your diet, which can be great to help not feel deprived, eating the exercise calories could really help fit in a few more foods we love. Many prefer to start with about 50-75% of the calories MFP gives us for exercise, because those numbers can tend to be inflated
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you up at a deficit. It is based on the NEAT method. This means it is designed for its users to eat their exercise calories back to net their calorie goal (which again, still keeps you at a deficit).

TDEE includes exercise calories, which is why you'll see people who do this log their exercise as a 1 calorie burn.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    In short to fuel your body. If you used MFP to calculate your calorie goal the deficit is already worked in. That means if you eat your exercise calories back or don't exercise at all you should still lose.

I eat most of mine back. I don't want to get into the habit of eating too little net calories and have it affect me in a negative way later down the road.
  • projhex
    projhex Posts: 23
    Options
    Sometimes you just need the energy. If you go out and run 10 miles and burn 1000 calories or whatever, you might need to replenish. You're going to be hungry.

Otherwise, you don't need to eat them back. You'll lose weight faster if you don't. Depends if you're trying to speed up your weight loss or if you're happy with your dietary goals alone.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fuel. You should net at least 1200 a day.

Here are some links and info that ight help

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1346163-change-your-mindset

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Because the deficit is built in. If you don't want to eat back exercise calories then switch to TDEE and eat more food daily, or, set your goal to maintenance and create your deficit strictly through exercise. If you're using the NEAT method you need to eat back some of your exercise calories. MFP's database is a little skewed, so I'd aim for 50%, but that's me.

Rigger
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories.
    Don't get me wrong, in the first couple of weeks, I considered it, as I "thought" about food constantly. (Psychological), laughs! Now, I feel full on my standard allotment, yet know those are there if I need them.
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Because your body needs fuel to do stuff? Most people don't eat back all their exercise calories because there's always the possibility that mfp has overestimated how many calories they have burned, but you should eat back some otherwise you're not going to have the energy to keep doing what you're doing
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you're setting your calorie goal for the day.

MFP's goal is determined based on you essentially sitting at a desk job all day and just basic body functioning. So if you're doing exercise above and beyond that standard, you'll need to replenish some of those calories spent.

This actually has to do with your day to day non-exercise activity level, which is a customizable level for each user

What you have described is sedentary. Here are the descriptions given on my MFP app:

Sedentary: desk job (me)
    Lightly active: on your feet most of the day - teacher, salesman
    Active: working with hands and on feet as well - mailman, waitress
    Very active: like a carpenter, or bike messenger

Then when you exercise you enter the type of exercise and duration and it gives you even more calories for that day. I have no problems with TDEE method, but MFP is not stuck on just one activity level
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't know how accurate your diary is but eating 600-700 calories a day regularly is ridiculously dangerous.
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I will never understand how people don't get this.

To lose weight you need a deficit. MFP sets you a daily allowance which includes that deficit. Not eating back any calories burned simply increases that deficit to potentially unsustainable levels.

For example, if you burned 600 calories at the gym every day without eating them back you'd be averaging about 700 calories a day. You would struggle to maintain that and be fit and healthy.