Feminine Question.... HELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!

Options
I'm really feeling depressed!

I seem to have GAINED three pounds! Except for having NOT walked the past three days, I haven't done anything differently!

Hmmm... well, I've eaten carefully. But I HAVEN'T been on MFP recording everything... :-/

Maybe I've eaten more than I thought?

My main question for all of you, I guess is this: Can a woman GAIN mid-cycle? I know I'm right at that point.

I always thought the gain (water weight?) is cycle related for a woman sometimes... but... I thought that was just before menses?

Please, help!

I feel very sad and frustrated with myself.

Am I meant to be FAT for the rest of my life!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Ugh!

Carrie

Replies

• carrierella
    carrierella Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm really feeling depressed!

I seem to have GAINED three pounds! Except for having NOT walked the past three days, I haven't done anything differently!

Hmmm... well, I've eaten carefully. But I HAVEN'T been on MFP recording everything... :-/

Maybe I've eaten more than I thought?

My main question for all of you, I guess is this: Can a woman GAIN mid-cycle? I know I'm right at that point.

I always thought the gain (water weight?) is cycle related for a woman sometimes... but... I thought that was just before menses?

Please, help!

I feel very sad and frustrated with myself.

Am I meant to be FAT for the rest of my life!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Ugh!

Carrie
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    yes, no, yes yes no.....

I gained an average of at least 3 pounds every cycle, then they dropped off.

Keep recording everything. It's really easy to sneak in extra calories when we don't write them down.

No, you're not meant to be fat the rest of your life. You are meant to be healthy.

Start over tomorrow morning, record everything, get your walk in and you'll feel much better.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Have you had a lot of sodium? That can cause 3 - 5 extra lbs. Try a lot of water and fresh veggies for a couple of days with lower sodium foods, it will probably drop back off.
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Honey, I gain starting at ovulation point and keep going until I am through. So, if you are mid-cycle, it could be that, or everything else everyone said. weather changes cause it for me too. Should I say, my body hates everything. It will come back off.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I would bet it is water weight. Soy sauce always gets me! You can eat something healthy like sushi...and while soy sauce is low in calories it contains TONS of sodium and tends to cause me to gain up to 5 lbs! Any time i eat any asian food i usually weigh a few extra lbs the next day! Drink lots of water and watch your weight...i wouldnt worry about it unless it stays up for several days in a row even ster watching sodium intake.

Good luck!
  • carrierella
    Options
    WHEN will it come back off!?

And will it take another five weeks to do so!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

:-(

Carrie
  • thegirlwholived
    thegirlwholived Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Honey, I gain starting at ovulation point and keep going until I am through. So, if you are mid-cycle, it could be that, or everything else everyone said. weather changes cause it for me too. Should I say, my body hates everything. It will come back off.

I thought it was just my imagination, but I seem to be much more bloated and puffy when I'm ovulating. It's very noticeable around my mid-section. I'm going to ask my ob/gyn about it next week when I see her. If I find out any new info, I'll let ya'll know.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You should start recording your foods and exercise again. When I don't record I seem to forget the little things that I eat. I find that I gain when I don't record even though "I thought" I ate well. Watch your carb intake, processed carbs are the killer of all, try to stay away from white carbs, such as bread and rice.

Watch your sodium intake by limiting processed foods and drink lots of water. If it's water weight due to sodium then it will come off easily by cutting down on sodium and drinking water.

Good luck.
  • fynendandi1
    fynendandi1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sure, it is just water weight. Just drink lots of extra water, and stay on your diet plan and when you end your cycle you should loose it no problem. And no, no one is destined to be overweight all their life, it may take some of us longer to reach our goals but it will happen if you do it slow and steady.
    Have a great day:flowerforyou:
  • Meriller
    Meriller Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely fluid retention due to ovulation -

" Water retained in tissues from heavy salt consumption, constipation, or ovulation cycles can affect overall performance in any competition. It can also affect attitude and self image."

Excerpt from:
    http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20070313/HEALTH/103130088

Be kind to yourself, take a deep breath and give yourself a pat on the back - you are not losing the battle! :flowerforyou:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    water gain may be a contributer but muscle may be also same with the fact that your body loves to hold on to fat cause it gets so used to having it around and the person who said the cycle will cause you to gain a little but it will come off. Try upping the intesity and shock your body so to speak it as well as holding on to fat hates routine and if you stick with routine, then it will stick with it as well and not make any changes
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I have just started on mfp but I can tell you one thing... it WORKS. I have tried everything to lose weight, I have been overweight my whole life... even started a group for women that wanted to lose weight. Nothing worked. I could never find anyone that was as motivated as me to do the work and make the sacrifices.

Since I started recording EVERYTHING (even beverages) that I eat.... I find myself accountable and when I see those numbers.. even though I don't feel like getting my butt to the gym or going for a walk.. I make myself do it! Keep recording everything. I thought I ate pretty well until I saw it all on paper (or computer.. as the case may be). Also, your cycle is the WORST time.. you just feel icky all together. Keep recording and it'll all balance out. Promise! :)
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    To gain 3 lbs of fat you would have had to eat over 10,000 calories in the last 3 days. Highly unlikely! You probably just splurged a little on high sodium foods and are retaining water now. My weight fluctuates 1-2 lbs every day, more depending on my cycle. No worries, just drink water and throw out your scale! :tongue:
  • carrierella
    Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

And guess what! -- This morning my reading is back to "normal"... my lost weight seems to still be... well, LOST! Yippeee!

And to those who said it HELPS to have everything recorded... this is SO true. Like at the dollar store, those "little things" really, really add up!

Carrie
  • Annabel_Lee13
    Options
    I gain, I lose. I try not to weigh myself everyday because it is so depressing to see the scale go up and then down and then up again, etc. However, I do not believe that any of us are going to stay the way we are forever, we just have to persist in our quest for weight loss.:smile: