Fit Bit for my 10 year old? Good or Bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I would mostly be worried about a younger kid losing the darn thing (depending on how expensive it is). If she just wants steps, maybe just a regular pedometer or the kids' version? There's also one for the Wii U system (my son has one).
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    In reply to 'wildly inaccurate'--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/activity-monitor-accuracy-fitbit-jawbone_n_5516156.html

I guess 10%ish would be 'wildly' to some, though. Mine have been good predictors, better than a TDEE calculator that just applies a multiplier to BMR based on 3-5 activity level settings you pick between.

There have been a handful of studies in regards to the accuracy of accelerometer-based fitness trackers and the consensus is that they are quite inaccurate. Again, I'm not knocking them as I believe they are extremely valuable in that they are motivating people to exercise, but I don't think they're terribly valuable in terms of tracking actual calories burned.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/12/how-accurate-are-fitness-monitors/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

If used properly then based on my experience I'd disagree with your thoughts. I've been using mine since March last year to track my TDEE. I log all non-walking exercise on the Fitbit site and adjust the calories burned for steady state cardio based on my HRM reading (alhough I've found that usually the Fitbit site is pretty close and tends to under estimate slightly rather than over estimate burn). I've set my walking & running stride as well as adjusting my weight as I lose. I log my daily TDEE and daily intake ina spreadsheet and base my deficit on a rolling 8 week average of my TDEE. Over the last 9 months I've been doing this (prior to taht I was eating a set cals + exercise cals back) I've lost 4.5lbs less than I "should" have based on 3500cals = 1lb loss. This can be attributed to me estimating weight of veg plus a few days on non-logging on special occasions. My weight loss is directly attributable to the data I've gathered using my Fitbit as I've based calorie intake on that information. 117lbs down and losing steadily so I think in my case using the devise peoperly along with other tools like MFP & a HRM I'd say the Fitbit is extremely valuable in terms of tracking actual calories burned.

However if people just clip them on with default settings and don't log non-walking exercise properly then I can see how they'd just be a movement motivator. But that's blaming the tool for incorrect use when its user error (or lack of wanting more form the tool).
  • raghuvirgupta
    raghuvirgupta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's always good. This tracking device motivates your kid for exercising and it will make your child more active. https://www.thecrazybuyers.com/best-fitbit-for-teenagers/
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread from almost four years ago
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

OP - So how did it work out? The kid is 14 now. Did she like it? Did it have any positive or negative results?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Deleted
  • alltimeburrit0
    alltimeburrit0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Knowing myself as a child, and knowing I have mental problems when it comes to calories etc I would say no steer away from a Fitbit.
    I like the suggestion of a pedometer which just shows steps and not calories etc! I think she’s too early to be obsessing over stuff like that. I think if you’re teaching her how to prepare healthy proportioned meals and good proportions and when to eat etc she shouldn’t have to worry about calories etc! Nothing good comes from obsessing over calories from a young age, and I know having a Fitbit at that age would have been toxic for me.

Obviously it’s down to you and how you see your child and how she’ll use it
  • alltimeburrit0
    alltimeburrit0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    (Also to add) it’s hard to know what your child is thinking or how it develops, so although she might act as if she’s using it maturely keep an eye on her usage and make sure it doesn’t become an obsession. (Link accounts?)
  • williamjohns2021
    Options
    I have to research Fitbit for my daughter. As I am searching got this Fitbit for Teenagers
  • LazyBones_1985
    LazyBones_1985 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I had a digital speedometer/odometer for my bicycle. I thought it was great fun to see how fast I was riding and how many miles I would ride in my neighborhood. I pretended I was a taxi cab driver and would drop make believe people off at different houses. It kept me quite active both physically and imaginitively. I don't see any difference in this if it's based on steps and active minutes and not calories and nutrition.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Kids don't tend to think of dieting and exercising to keep a body image. However kids DO like to see if they progressed in something that might be measurable, like how high they can climb a tree, how fast they can run, etc. And if measuring steps keeps her wanting to progress or exceed what she previously did, that's not a detriment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I think you're right to feel a bit cautious about potentially reinforcing poor body image/ weight obsession that is common among girls her age.

But I think as long as you have model body positivity and a healthy attitude towards activity tracking, it could be a positive experience
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I hate when the OP never comes back...
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    This is so old, but wanted to comment anyway. My 11-year old wanted his own tracker because he was interested in seeing the data, and knowing he wasn't getting nearly as many steps by doing remote learning as he would at in-person school. It was one for like $30, and it works pretty well. I tried to get my 9-year old to wear my old cheap one I had as well, but she wore it for a few days and stopped.

I think teaching kids to be active is never a bad thing, especially when you frame it in the context of overall health. It's never to early to start establishing good habits, as long as you don't overdo it or cause them to become obsessive about it.