Protein Shakes & Gas

Options
I know this is gross, but I get gas from protein shakes. I have been using GNC Total Lean shakes and well.... they give me bad gas. Does anyone know why this does this and suggest maybe other shakes to try. Thank you!!!!!

Replies

• lordofultima
    Options
    I imagine it's dairy whey, dairy can give you gas. That's just life!
  • rckola911
    rckola911 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i use isopure and have never had an issue. i have tried various protiens some are just more rough on the stomach than others. u must find one that digest better for u and u will be good.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I can't say which brands are better for gas, but I can say to stay away from NitroTech shakes. Gas will be the least of your issues with those! Yeah, I call those the cure for the constipation type of IBS. ;) Honestly, I think that some people can only handle so much protein at one time and a lot of the different protein supplements have so much protein per serving that it causes problems. I know the NitroTech stuff I tried was over 40g of protein per serving. I stick to a 20-25g per serving protein powder now and don't have any problems.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with anything with soy or whey. You may try Hemp powders. Also, I like the Fat Flush Protein Powder, which is rice and pea, dairy free and I believe vegan. I stay fuller much longer. The texture is different and you have to blend it longer, but very pleased with the results of it.
  • halzuzu
    halzuzu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I notice I get really bloated after a protein shake. I've been using one scoop of the Trader Joe's whey Protein Powder with one cup of Unsweetened soy Milk.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    It happens to me because of the milk I use.....watch out for the grenades:laugh:
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing and for me it was intolerance to both soy and whey.

Try a chocolate milk recovery drink after your workout and see if it does the same thing. If not, it's probably intolerance.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Its not the Brand you are using. Its just how much protein you are consuming. How many grams a day are you taking in? Weather its from a shake, chicken, or protein bar. The more protein you consume the more gas you will have.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I would check with the milk first. You didn't say if you mix the shake with milk or not. If you do then you may have a problem there. Try almond milk, it's sold everywhere now and is non-dairy. It gives your shakes the same consistency.
  • sbranaghan
    sbranaghan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So I usually take in on average about 60 grams of protein. I mix the shakes with water, never milk. I also try to add in some fruit and quick oats! I also use them as a meal replacement, thats why add more to them... to make me feel fuller!
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    If they are made with whey they will most likely give you gas whey causes the large intestine to produce gas.. bloating, flatuelence etc. Same way people give milk to babies then burp them. Your normal not to worry.
  • WTFitness
    WTFitness Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I used to have the same problem! Not so much when I have protein in my oatmeal or milk, but definitely when I mix protein powder with fruit juice (as a recovery shake)!
    What I have found works for me is I blend the juice and protein powder together and then let it sit for 10-15 minutes so all the little bubbles burst. Mix it again for a second or two, drink and I'm golden!