I want to start running.

Options
I want to start running. I have never run before. Any tips of how I can build up my fitness?

Replies

• DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend couch to 5K. Download an app and get started. It works.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The C25K program is the holy grail of a running beginner. It builds you up at the perfect pace to avoid injury and over training.

Also as of recently i recommend cross training, i've been running 4 months and it's the only exercise i do and whilst i'm strengthening some muscles and probably over working them others are left weak so i'm having leg and shin troubles, once a week or so just mix it up! i wish i had listened to my own advice. (this is just my personal experience though)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I got the Zombies, Run! 5k app. It starts you off slow. Week 1 is a 10 min walk, 15 second run + 1 min walk x10, then 10 minute 'free run' where you just run when you can, then it builds up from there. I like it, and I've never been a runner.
  • betty_2010
    betty_2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i also recommend c25k
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Try couch to 5K and then work up from there. I started running just to my corner (2 houses away), and then around the corner, etc. even before doing couch to 5K and have run up to 10 miles recently.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Definitely do the C25K plan, it will help prevent injury. Make sure you get some really good shoes as well and try not to run on concrete if you can.

Jeff Galloway has good beginner training plans and running tips as well.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    C25K for sure. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you can't complete something. I'm starting week 6 today. When I first started I barely got through the 60 second runs, and last week I did 20 minutes with no breaks.
  • Jinnie69
    Jinnie69 Posts: 22
    Options
    Couch to 5 k is how I started. It's a good guide, some days you might need to repeat a workout some days you might skip on ahead. It's a great program to keep it real for beginners. And don't be cheap with running shoes, take care of your feet and they will keep you moving. Good Luck!
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i never did before either and i was afraid id trip and fall down. I do elliptical trainer in a fitness room alone. Im working my way up to actually running by practicing on elliptical trainer. maybe that would work for you too.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i can't praise the Couch to 5K program enough, it starts you off gently then 9 weeks later you're running 5K, sounds crazy but it really works

i personally preferred to use the NHS podcasts to start with

other than that, the only other advise i have is go to a proper running shop and get some proper running shoes
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest a Couch to 5k program. There are several good apps for it. I also suggest that you go ahead and find a 5k in your area (2 to 3 months from now) and go ahead and sign up. Already being committed to a race will give you the incentive to stick to the training.
  • candyinmyheels
    candyinmyheels Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i agree with the above people who like couch to 5k programs. basically you do intervals of running and walking for certain amounts of time, and you gradually increase the percentage of time you are running, and increase the overall time. even if you do not want to work up to 5k, you can do it up to the distance that you want.
    After you do this for a bit, I recommend a heart rate monitor if you have a little extra cash. This will let you train to a target range for your heart rate, and I found it really useful when I first started running. If you don't want to spend the cash on one, you will certainly get plenty of benefits from running/walking intervals without a heart monitor.

you can also check and see if there are any run groups in your area, if you want to do something more social. A good running shoe store or something like a lululemon store will probably have information on local run clubs. Starting out running near your house or on a treadmill somewhere is great. I really liked a treadmill to start because it let me monitor time, distance, and speed. Then i liked running outside in a nice park because the treadmill got boring. Now I like the treadmill again because it is crazy hot in the summer, and I moved to a place with not a lot of great parks nearby.

oh yeah, and i recommend a good pair of running shoes. I have found local running shoe stores to be great, find somewhere that will watch you walk/run and spend some time with you to make sure you get a good fit.

Have fun!!!
  • IAmKellOnWheels
    IAmKellOnWheels Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Another C25K advocate here! I download audiobooks from my library and hit the road. It's a wonderful program and if you had told me I would be jogging regularly as a result, I would have thought you were crazy. But here I am! Week 3 done!
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I had the same question.
    I downloaded the C25K and listened to it.
    I can not walk 90s and then run 60s intervals, this is too much. And this would be the first day :huh:
    And I'm not a couch potato. But probably too heavy.
    So I start my own program.
    On my dog walks I have my watch with me and when I warmed up, i try to run 60 seconds.
    Then I walk again and when it feels right, I run again.
    Or a little sprint.
    The Zombies,run sounds interesting. Starts obviously on a lower level.
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have started jogging the last 2 days I wasnt keen on the c25k prefer to do what worked for me and time will tell if I stick at it lol at the end of the day u just need to be motivated its hard walking out the door u feel silly and jogging does not so far fill me with any kind of buzz lol but i still am making myself do it because i want to shift the weight and exercise is definitely good for my mental health as i am much more relaxed and happier at home just doing a little exercise

u start with a small target I do a mile I planned my route well in advance I do a big loop from my houseand back altho to avoid boredom I will have to change routes reguarly I dont forget my mp3 I need music to push me on and u start jogging and then alternate between that and brisk walking I just make sure that my heart rate doesnt dip the first day I did more walking than jogging and yesterday was the same but I noticed I defo jogged a fraction more and thats what its about small progresses also joining a running grouo on here is a must there is a running for july I started a week late but u decide on a target and then keep charting progress on there along with all the others on mfp I find it helps motivate me
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Is Couch to 5K a good app to use for advanced walkers looking to transition to jogging? I power walk between 3 - 5 miles about 6 days per week. Now my heart rate is not getting up like it used to so I know I need to start jogging.

I've been incorporating short bursts of about 45 seconds of light jogging and it's getting the job done, but I would like a guide to tell me when to start/stop/walk/jog etc. because I drift off too much. Oh I have never jogged or ran in my entire life and I live in a completely flat area.

Thanks!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I started at barely running a mile without stopping last year...doing a half marathon this morning.
    GOOD SHOES. Don't skip. I'm not talking Nikes. If you are looking to really make this something that is a part of your life, I strongly recommend getting fitted with good insoles and good shoes. I skimp elsewhere (clothes, etc) but the shoes I saved for. My knees, hips, etc have thanked me for it.
    Don't think you have to go fast. Start at a comfortable jogging pace-there is no shame in a walking break.
    Make a good playlist of music.
    Run in areas you are familiar with and you know are safe-and try to run in daylight the most you can.
    A 5k, as many others have said, is a fantastic place to start. There are lots of training schedules/plans available online for free.
    Cross train-you need to give your body a rest from running now and then or 1.) you'll get sick of it and 2.) your body will get worn out faster...
    Make it fun! I am one of those that cannot stand running on a treadmill. If doing that while watching TV is fun for you-do that. If not, find a pretty trail outdoors and do that instead.

Most importantly, ENJOY! Running has become my favorite thing in the whole world...as far as physical activity and recreation :)
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    just to add on with everyone else: you're never too slow, you're never too fast, a good workout will kick your ***.

For real though, do not set your goals way too high if it is your first time.
    -following apps/programs is extremely helpful (helps with knowing what you are doing)
    -having a team or a partner is even more helpful (accountability)
    -music on days you need it (more motivation)

I have a let's see how I do kind of thing in my head and then train from there.
    Then I build little goals from that let's see how I can do. If I have success, can I go longer, can I go faster. This is where the PR's (personal record) come in and you can have a mini ego party afterwards.

Can I run a mile non-stop? Let's see how I do. Did it!
    Can I run a mile fast? Let's see how I do. 6:50 (this is subjective)
    Can I run a mile faster? Let's see how I do. 6:49:59 (nailed it! PR=mini party)

Can I run long distance? Let's see how I do. 5k done.
    Can I go longer? Let's see how I do. 1/2 marathon, success.
    Can I go even longer? Let's see how I do. marathons finished.
    Can I go even longer? no.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Can I run long distance? Let's see how I do. 5k done.
    Can I go longer? Let's see how I do. 1/2 marathon, success.
    Can I go even longer? Let's see how I do. marathons finished.
    Can I go even longer? no.

Hahaha-the last part made me giggle.