My baby carrots aren't very tasty.. can I reuse them?

Options
So I bought some baby carrots yesterday and they looked OK... the bag was a little wet but I picked out the least-wet/soggy bag and they looked normal. I packed some for my lunch today and they just don't quite taste right. They're not very sweet and taste pretty blah and not so tasty so eating them by themselves as a snack isn't going to happen.

I know I should buy regular carrots and cut them up into sticks and bring those instead, but honestly I don't have the time sometimes and prefer to just dump some out of the bag and into a Tupperware. Looks like after this experience I might have to find the time though; I HATE wasting food!

Anyone have any ideas of how I can reuse them or do I just suck it up and throw them out?

Replies

• Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I throw them in when I make roast. With all the seasonings I add, I bet even your soggy carrots would taste good!
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I love baby carrots steamed. They always seem a little sweeter that was! YUM
  • teddyann
    teddyann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Veggie soup!
    :smile:
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I throw them in when I make roast. With all the seasonings I add, I bet even your soggy carrots would taste good!

A roast is a really good idea! Or I can make a thick stew. Great idea! I bet once I add all the other veggies and seasonings they won't taste like blah.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Pitch them!! Here's the article that I read. Snopes.com says that it is both right & wrong but I am not taking any chances!!

Once the carrots are cut and shaped into cocktail carrots they are dipped in a solution of water and chlorine in order to preserve them (this is the same chlorine used in your pool) since they do not have their skin or natural protective covering, they give them a higher dose of chlorine. You will notice that once you keep these carrots in your refrigerator for a few days, a white covering will form on the carrots, this is the chlorine which resurfaces. At what cost do we put our health at risk to have esthetically pleasing vegetables which are practically plastic?

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/260034#ixzz15OzT6H89
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I agree, they are the best part of a pot roast! Or cook them and carmalize them. Not the healthiest, but do it on a day with cals to spare! So good! Or just cook them in general for soft carrots and you can use italian and other seasonings to make them taste better, even some butter.
  • sltx1002
    sltx1002 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Pitch them!! Here's the article that I read. Snopes.com says that it is both right & wrong but I am not taking any chances!!

Once the carrots are cut and shaped into cocktail carrots they are dipped in a solution of water and chlorine in order to preserve them (this is the same chlorine used in your pool) since they do not have their skin or natural protective covering, they give them a higher dose of chlorine. You will notice that once you keep these carrots in your refrigerator for a few days, a white covering will form on the carrots, this is the chlorine which resurfaces. At what cost do we put our health at risk to have esthetically pleasing vegetables which are practically plastic?

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/260034#ixzz15OzT6H89

from the same article, if you read just a bit further down...

"Is this dangerous? No. Chlorination is a well-known and well-tested way to disinfect food products. Our tap water is chlorinated as well. I would nevertheless like to issue a warning. When you disinfect something, that means that you kill the bacteria that are present. Chlorine kills bacteria. It can also kill us, or be very bad for us. The bleach you use to clean and disinfect your toilet, contains chlorine. Do not drink it. This will kill you because it is far more concentrated than we can safely ingest. The chlorine in your tap water and in your baby-carrots, presents no danger whatsoever. It is precisely to make the carrots safe that the chlorine is used."
  • Oranda
    Oranda Posts: 121
    Options
    You can also get baby carrots without preservatives, you just have to eat them quickly. The ingredients just read "carrots". I eat Bolthouse Farms baby carrots and they are really tasty.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dog? My dog LOVES baby carrots. :)
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have Green Giant baby carrots and it's just carrots. They are tasty!