A word about maintining

Options
Say what you will... Our bodies are not perfect machines. We are, after all, humans and not robots. So if you are beating yourself up over a pound or two maybe it's time to stop it.

In February I started to eat better and exercise so that I could lose 20 lbs. From 140 to 120. I achieved this in May. Since then my weight fluctuates daily. I have gone anywhere from 117.5 to 121.5. Up and down I go while trying to be 120. Then it hit me: I am, indeed, maintaining. This is just what bodies do. I guess if I started to go up or down 10 lbs at a time and have a trend in either direction where I was not returning to my goal then I would worry. But as it is, I'm just going to relax and enjoy it.

Is this similar to *your* experience?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I will never maintain one weight every day; that would be ignoring the fact that weight involves a lot more than fat - food choices, humidity, hormonal cycles, workouts, hydration all effect my weight.

I don't have a goal weight, I have a goal range. I also only rarely weigh in for that reason.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've had the same experience. I always weigh myself in the morning since later in the day I'd be weighing food, water, and clothes in addition to myself!

I have been maintaining too; first I went 3 lbs below my goal weight by mistake, then I tried to gain some back, and now I've discovered that I'm gaining weight consistently and am going to try and stabilize it again. It's challenging for me to find the right numbers that will allow me to stay in the same range without a longer-term gain or loss but I'm working on it! So far in maintenance I've been anywhere from 102 to 105.4 (I want to stay between 102 and 105) and many points in between.

It's hard for me to relax about it so far (I've been maintaining for about as long as you, OP, have). I still perceive myself as slightly fat/bigger than I really am and it's always a shock to put on my lovely new size 4/XS bottoms and XS dresses and have them fit. I'm thin now, but not happy with bodyfat level/lack of muscle so that is hard sometimes. . .working on that so I can't fuss over it anymore!

I like what you said. Thank you for this post. :flowerforyou:
  • ksarm
    ksarm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We have very similar stats. I started losing weight at 138 and got down to 118 in 6 months. Now my weight fluctuate between 117-120 depending on the day. I've been in the 117-120 range for over a month so I guess you are right. I -AM- maintaining. :) Woohoo!
  • jimdevico
    jimdevico Posts: 4
    Options
    Great thread!
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I went from 260 down to 195 then went into maintenance. I have been in maintenance since January 2014. The lowest weight I reached was 190 and I freaked out. The highest weight I hit was 196 and I freaked out. So I maintain between 190-195, usually on the higher side. Weighed 195 this morning. I am 6'1" so by the charts I am over weight until it hit 189. I don't like that number so I'll just stay here, hopefully for ever.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Yep, maintenance is a range.
  • jimdevico
    jimdevico Posts: 4
    Options
    I am 6'1" so by the charts I am over weight until it hit 189. I don't like that number so I'll just stay here, hopefully for ever.

Joey that's great. That's what it's all about. The charts say I'm overweight at 179 so I dropped to 175 but I'm considering 180 as I liked myself better there.

Congrats on the weight loss!