Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Should I have separate cardio and strength training?

So, I recently decided I would start incorporating strength training into my gym routine as, with the exception of the occasional weight machine, I tend to stick to cardio at varying resistances. Do people find it easy to do both strength and cardio work outs on the same day at the gym? Or would it be better to do one day cardio one day weights one day cardio... and so on?

Thank you all in advance! :)

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I would say give it a shot and see if you can. It is very beneficial for weight loss.

As far as easier no. I do both in the same workout. I am a pretty fit person so I hear on MFP and out in the world.

I do not know what people see.
  • vickiem74
    vickiem74 Posts: 49 Member
    I always do some cardio on strength days and then I have some dedicated cardio days.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I'M NOT AN EXPERT!

Depends on the activity. Running while doing upper body/core strength training always works fine for me. But if I'm running/biking and then try to do leg strength, that can be tougher.

You could also think of something like running (I don't know what cardio you do) as a "pushing" exercise. And some people do all their "pushing" on one day, and then all their "pulling" exercises on the next. (Bench presses are pushing, Lat pull downs are pulling, for instance)
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Sometimes I'll do some cardio before strength training but I keep it short and low intensity. I don't want to wear myself out on cardio then lift poorly. If I'm pressed for time, say I lift at lunch, I'll do cardio later in the day or not at all.

Also, I would suggest lifting free weights mostly instead of machines. Machines won't provide the results of free weights.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    I separate my days, too hard for me to do everything at once.

Or, cardio in the morning, strength at night, or the other way around.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    It sounds like when you think you hit a plateau there is a lot of room workout wise to change it up.

Also research weight before cardio. Cardio of course would get in the way of max potential on lifting .

I agree with free weight > machines. Free weights adds in a lot of stability using other muscles.
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    personally i am no expert but i do work with a trainer and he always incorporates 2-3 short bursts off high intensity cardio to keep my heart rate elevated along with a mixture of strength lifting. Alternate days focusing either on top half or bottom half but always incorporating that cardio. This has made an awesome change to my body shape. My suggestion is you try for few weeks and see how that works for you, noting pros and cons pertinent to yourself.

good luck with your journey