Quick Question...Advice for Tonight

Options
I know, I know, there are posts everywhere out there about eating calories, not eating them. Exercising then eating the calories and I have to admit, I'm still a bit confused.....I read those posts over and over :noway:

My question is.....
Today I ate several small healthy meals and feel great!
I worked out tonight and burned over 450 calories! I love it! :love:

However, I have like 350 calories in the green now. Do I need to eat some of that up? I'm not hungry but I would like some wine. Do I want to have a big number in the green like that or be closer to about 100 or so? It's also after 8pm and I try not eat any food this late.

Just looking for some quick advice, so I can attempt to figure this out before I call it a day. :smile:

Thanks a bunch! :smile:

Replies

• k8ieP
    k8ieP Posts: 54
    Options
    I am confused about it as well and usually just listen to my body. If I am hungry I eat my exercise calories and if not I don't. Sounds like you should drink your wine and enjoy your success:drinker:
  • MrBuckeye
    Options
    Did you eat at least 1200 calories today? If so you should be fine.
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    im confused still as well. lol sorry i cant help!
    ive been trying to find healthy snacks to munch on before bed but im just not hungry and my page was telling me to eat closer to my 1200 cal limit.
  • Fitzpoppa
    Options
    The calorie game is never any fun. The way i do it is, If i'm not hungry i don't eat. I have like 1200 calories left for the day and im done. I don't think a glass of wine will be too many calories. I know it sounds weird but pour it into a measuring cup first so you know its exactly 1 cup = 8 ounces. then add those calories too. I very rarely use all my calories for the day and I'm down 91 pounds. You'll be good.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    There are many theories on "starvation mode". I haven't seen any hard data on it. You do need to make sure your body has fuel, though. If you're not hungry and still have all those calories left, I don't think you should force yourself to eat. However, you probably just don't want to be that much under on a regular basis for a long period of time. This "starvation mode" wouldn't be immediate anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about that unless you make it a habit.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    As you say, there are many schools of thought about it. You should of course try to get as close to your number as possible but you should also listen to your body. IMHO If you're not hungry, don't eat. A little wine would be nice though. I also try not to eat within three hours of my bedtime so my body burns stored fat all night long rather than my meal or snack. I routinely come in under my goal but am still managing to lose. Long story short, you're probably okay just calling it a night and trying to get closer tomorrow. For what it's worth a post workout drink can add an easy couple of hundred calories while helping your muscles recover faster, something to consider. Good luck :)
  • adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, you should eat some of them. The site should have already adjusted your daily calorie limit to create the necessary deficit to meet your goal. For example, if you need 2000 calories to maintain your weight, MFP should be telling you to eat 1500 calories per day, plus whatever exercise calories you burn off.

Basically, do what k8iep said and enjoy your glass of wine :-)
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    For me, personally, I have to really work at eating much more than 1,200 and I don't like it, so I usually stay right around there +/- regardless of my workouts (except the week before "that time" when I am hungrier and may reach as high as 1,300 or 1,400 for a day or two). Also, I simply don't lose if I eat my workout calories. I don't drink, but if I did, I would see nothing wrong however with using the left over workout calories for a nice glass of wine.
  • DixieDee
    Options
    i feel the same way. Since i started (working on my 4th week) I have found that my body is telling me less and less that it's hungry, and when it does I am finding I don't want junk. I know I have close to 450 cals left for tonight but i am just not hungry. I think i am going to make me a cup of hot green tea and go for a soak in the tub.

I do find that I do better if I try not to eat after 7pm. I sleep better.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    alright you all - you twisted my arm!!! :drinker:

i did well all day, counted, ate my 1200, worked out.

i am going to end the night with a glass of wine. :bigsmile:

boy, i love this MFP, just a lot to wrap my head around.

thanks for your help and advice. :smooched: