Three Years of Progress in pictures

Options
268207_2018853602961_4056124_n.jpg
Three years ago today, on my 21st birthday. I'd been out of the hospital for a few weeks after complications from swine flu led to an ordeal that kept me in the hospital for 3 months. I even died for a little bit. I learned how to do everything again at rehab - from little things like moving my fingers and feeding myself, to big things like walking. At the point of this picture I had graduated from using a walker but was still sometimes using my cane. I had been on life support for 12 days and the drugs used caused my hair to fall out so, at the point that I started getting bald spots, I shaved my head. Kinda like "I'm going to fire you before you can quit!" sorta thing. I didn't want any pictures taken but my dad made me take one with him on my birthday. The black stuff on my neck is leftover hospital gunk from where I had had PICC lines and ports and all sorts of things that have no business poking into my neck. I couldn't properly scrub it off because I would start to have a panic attack if I tried. I was a mess, inside and out.

269414_2018882123674_2307228_n.jpg
I got a wig for my 21st birthday. In hindsight, I think I looked better with no hair, but at the time I was too anxious about being bald and had to cover it somehow to enable myself to go in public. They didn't have any red wigs that looked decent, but I'd always wondered about being a brunette.

1004064_10200825926442455_2112099493_n.jpg
Around my birthday last year. Still growing out my hair and still stuck with all the weight that I'd gained during everything. This was about when I hit my highest weight ever, probably.

10455702_10203271760426776_5702324795802596529_n.jpg
And this is from a couple days ago. I haven't used a cane, walker, or shower chair in three years. I'm not fit yet, but I'm also not half-dead. I rarely have panic attacks, which is a huge step up from the panic attack/passing out that happened whenever I would have a follow up doctor appointment at first.

Three years ago, I tripped coming up the stairs to my house. Two single stairs and I was too weak to make it. I was definitely too bad off to have come home from rehab yet, but a combination of depression and anxiety meant that my doctor gave in and let me go home as long as I had someone take me to pt several times a week. But still. Two stairs got me and I wasn't even strong enough to stand back up. I had to crawl across the porch and into my house. Now, not only can I bend over to pick things up, but I spend all day at work standing, or crawling around in the floor wrestling with big dogs. I work at a vet hospital and even though it "smells like a hospital" I don't freak out and pass out. Exercise now is more than walking three laps around the couch. My hair grew back in curly. It had been straight/frizzy before and I could never get it to hold a curl, no matter how hard I tried. I'm still getting some of the last health effects sorted out, but I'm so much better than before. I'm healthy enough now that I've been able to really work at losing weight and so far I'm down 66lbs.There's still a long way to go, but I'm just happy that I'm not dead. Sometimes its the little things like that :wink:

I took myself shopping last week, for my birthday. None of my old clothes fit me at all anymore and for the first time ever, I had to return everything I took to the dressing room because it was all too big and I needed smaller sizes to try on. What a great feeling and I'm sure you will all understand. I bought a skirt sized 18/20. Never thought that would happen again!

Replies

• delphinese
    delphinese Posts: 12
    Options
    You are amazing!
  • 29forever
    29forever Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wow! Inspiring story. Congrats on all you have accomplished and the hurdles you have overcome in the past 3 years! And I like your hair curly :) You are beautiful!
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Love to see you're doing so much better and going after your goals and getting stronger in all aspects of your life. You totally rock!
  • ilceh
    ilceh Posts: 4
    Options
    You have conquered a giant. I am inspired by your courage and progress. Keep us posted.
  • Joyfulkneves23
    Joyfulkneves23 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow you have gone through a lot. Congrats on your success thus far and keep up the good work :)
  • ossentia
    ossentia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    So impressed! Keep up the great work!
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You are very brave and very, very strong.
  • provence9
    provence9 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wow ! Inspiring!
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    Amazing work!! Also inspiring! Btw you have gorgeous eyes and skin!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story, you look wonderful!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you've been through so much. Thank you for sharing.

You are inspirational. So many people, on here, but throughout the world want to wear skinny jeans or look good, you just want to be strong and healthy, and by the looks of it are getting there. Great work!
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    Wow! Amazing!
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Your hair is beautiful and you are too can't wait to read your next success post! Keep on!,,
  • Bexchubb
    Bexchubb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    SUCH and inspiration. Well done you :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Way to go! And thanks so much for sharing. I was having such a crappy day mentally and your post totally brights my outlook. Thanks for putting me in my place!
  • weblur
    weblur Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Inspiring!
  • determinedgirl1
    determinedgirl1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Incredible, truly inspiring. I hope you meet your next goal, and every goal after that! Stay strong and keep up the great work.
  • DivaKom
    DivaKom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you! You are a fighter and a winner!
  • soberlicious
    soberlicious Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    you inspire me and i would be honored to be your friend <3 xoxoxo
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!