Grocery Store Tricks

Options
Thought people would find this interesting. The article focuses on money but some of them could lead to extra or unhealthy eating too.

http://couponconnections.com/20-ways-grocery-stores-trick-spending-money/?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

Replies

• lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    the key to healthy shopping is to stay on the perimeter of the store !! all the unhealthy junk is in the middle and on the end caps of isles
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the stores are catching on and put the bakery stuff right nest to the fish and produce.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    go with a list and go with cash and don't go hungry.

easy way to make sure you keep the budget.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    the key to healthy shopping is to stay on the perimeter of the store !! all the unhealthy junk is in the middle and on the end caps of isles

I have never seen a store bakery that was in the middle of the food area.

(not that I think bakery items are junk, just yummy, calorie dense, usually nutrient sparse foods)
  • lalawaterlala
    Options

(not that I think bakery items are junk, just yummy, calorie dense, usually nutrient sparse foods)

I agree, but they're better than a bag of doritos, not to mention the breads have less preservatives in them than the ones found in the bread isle. Either way, I was talking more about the proteins, veggies, and nuts that are found on the perimeters of stores.

And also to someone else who said the grocery stores are catching on, they totally are. They have a science to make people want to buy more junk and they have actually started placing chips and sodas ALLL over the place!! It's so sad to see that they want to discourage people from making healthy choices.
  • lalawaterlala
    Options
    go with a list and go with cash and don't go hungry.

easy way to make sure you keep the budget.

Yeah I've heard about this too. Unfortunately I haven't made lists for my shopping and I still tend to by whatever my stomach tells me it's wanting. I might try to make a list though after hearing someone else mention it
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I agree, but they're better than a bag of doritos, not to mention the breads have less preservatives in them than the ones found in the bread isle. Either way, I was talking more about the proteins, veggies, and nuts that are found on the perimeters of stores.

And also to someone else who said the grocery stores are catching on, they totally are. They have a science to make people want to buy more junk and they have actually started placing chips and sodas ALLL over the place!! It's so sad to see that they want to discourage people from making healthy choices.

ROFL, they have a science to maximize profits and that's it. There isn't a conspiracy to force people to make 'unhealthy' choices but to encourage impulse buying. How dare a business try to do the best... business that it can.

And every bakery I've seen isn't just filled with whole grain, preservative free bread but cookies, cakes, pies, doughnuts and other tasty desserts.