Not hitting my calorie target while exercising???

Options
For a while now, anytime that I attempt to watch what I eat AND exercise, I come wayyy under my calorie intake goal. It frustrated me to the point where I almost gave up because I felt that I must not know what I'm doing and this site was telling me that I wasn't eating enough. After logging for today I think I might have spotted the issue. I am BIG. I burn a lot of calories anytime I do anything. If I exercise for 20 minutes and walk to school then I have cancelled out half a days worth of calories. Is this normal?? Should I just keep trying my best and doing what I'm doing? I am just so tired of this weight...but I don't want to lose it in an unhealthy way. Advice please?

Replies

• alyssamaryw
    Options
    Hello,

I would take the calorie counts at the end of the day with a grain of salt because MFP overestimates the amount of calories that you burn when you exercise. In reality you're probably netting more than the final count. It sounds like you're doing great, and I commend you for reaching out.
  • Robotponysaurus
    Options
    It sounds like you might be slightly overestimating your calorie burns. Even if your daily calories were set at 1,200, meaning half a days worth is 600 calories, that is A LOT to burn in 20 minutes and nearly impossible without obscenely rigorous exercise, even for a very large person. (Edit! Not calling you very large! Just doing maths!)
  • TheLovelyKenne
    Options
    @Robotponysaurus It gave me roughly -300 for 25 minutes of exercise and roughly -300 for the walk to my school campus. Lol no offense taken. I can call myself large without sugar coating it. I'm 2 sizes (that I pray I will never see) away from those elastic waist mom-jeans that have to be specially ordered online or from a catalog. God help me :ohwell: I am big...
  • TheLovelyKenne
    Options
    @alyssamaryw That is really reassuring. I will just keep doing what I'm doing then. It's got to be better than where I was. Thank you :happy:
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You can do this!

Main thing, make sure you eat healthily most of the time, try to remain pretty consistent with your calorie intake and exercise, and if you don't lose weight, drop your calories a bit. If you lose weight too fast, up your calorie intake. Just keep adjusting it every couple weeks to get to the goal weight loss per week that you feel comfortable with (roughly 1lb per week).

Consistency is key.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You may need to pick & choose which exercise you log. Some of your normal daily routine is considered automatically based on the activity level you selected: sedentary, lightly active, etc.