Are some people not meant to be thin

Options
Just wondering. I've hit a plateau at about 148-150lbs. I can't get past 148. I am 26 and looking back I've always been on the thick side since I was a baby. I've never been thin. Maybe I'm not suppose to be. I'm getting frustrated not being able to lose more weight. I started at 170 in feburary. Since May I've been at 150 and u keep losing and gaining the same pound. I've been restricting what I eat to only 1200 calories and still nothing.

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Every human body on the planet can become thin given the time and a calorie deficit. There are no special snowflakes concerning this issue. Some medical issues can make weight loss more difficult but even they can become thin.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' and if I put on 10 lbs of muscle, at 10% BF%, I'd be above a BMI of 25.

I will never be thin. I'm a big guy, and I'm damn proud of it.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    You are not at a plateau; you are most likely in maintenance mode.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Opening your food diary would be helpful.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone want to be "thin" anyway? Surely its about becoming the healthiest you can be with the body you have.
  • tjsims8
    tjsims8 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5
  • Robotponysaurus
    Options
    Most (not all) people aren't meant to be "thin," honestly. Healthy, yes. "Thin," no. Anyone can eat too little and become "skinny" but it definitely doesn't mean they're supposed to be that way.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    What does "thin" mean?
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I said that a lot back in the day. "I am big boned"... I have a "big frame". Come to find out.. after losing 50 lbs I have a much smaller frame than I thought. YOu might want to check out....

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

It is an ideal weight tracker for your body type..
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Several questions come to mind... Are you athletic? Do you have a more petite bone build or a larger one? Do you exercise regularly and eat back some of those calories? Do you weigh and measure all your intake?

You said you're 5'5". Depending on athleticism, body build, etc., 148 might not be a bad weight for you...

I'm just under 5'3", run regularly, not a super tiny build and weigh between 135-141 and can wear a size 6 in most brands, size 4 in a few, size 8 in a few. Most people "guess" my weight at much lower when they just look at me. While I could lose more and not be underweight at all, I think I'd reach the point of looking "thin" not fit and tired and I'd have a harder time maintaining that goal. Look at how you look, feel, etc., not just what the number on the scale is.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just wondering. I've hit a plateau at about 148-150lbs. I can't get past 148. I am 26 and looking back I've always been on the thick side since I was a baby. I've never been thin. Maybe I'm not suppose to be. I'm getting frustrated not being able to lose more weight. I started at 170 in feburary. Since May I've been at 150 and u keep losing and gaining the same pound. I've been restricting what I eat to only 1200 calories and still nothing.
    Your not eating 1200 calories otherwise you would lose weight. So either your over estimating your food or the numbers your working with are wrong.

Have a look at this link it will help with accurately weighing and measuring food

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Just a phrase that people use. There's no actual truth behind it. Anyone can starve given the right (awful) circumstances. So it's not like some people will always be heavy, no matter what.

Maybe change your mindset. Is "thin" really all you want? What about fit? What about strong? Is a number on a scale what matters to you, or would you rather become a fast runner, a strong lifter, etc. etc.

There are a whole bunch of goals a person can set for themselves. A number on a scale has never impressed me much.

You are capable of so much more.

FLAWLESS VICTORY!

(Seriously, this is an awesome answer.)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I do not believe this for one fraction of a second. I think it's the biggest cop-out in the world. My mom tried using this mentality on me, saying girls in our family are just genetically programmed to have big butts, fat thighs, and cellulite covering them, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Well guess what, I lost my jiggly butt, no longer have fat thighs, and got rid of all the cellulite covering them. People who say this--like my mom--I'm pretty sure are just using it as a defense mechanism and excuse to avoid putting in the hard work that losing weight takes.

Edited to add: This does not mean that I am not limited by my genetics in any way. We all are to a certain degree. I am not fine-boned, so I will probably never weigh under 106 lbs, despite being EXTREMELY short (5'0") and lean. I will never have Giselle Bundchen's legs, because my thighs are so muscular they could never get that slender, and they will never magically grow 6", so I will always have stumpy-short legs. There are certain things you have to accept about your body, and just be the best you YOU can be.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Just a phrase that people use. There's no actual truth behind it. Anyone can starve given the right (awful) circumstances. So it's not like some people will always be heavy, no matter what.

Maybe change your mindset. Is "thin" really all you want? What about fit? What about strong? Is a number on a scale what matters to you, or would you rather become a fast runner, a strong lifter, etc. etc.

There are a whole bunch of goals a person can set for themselves. A number on a scale has never impressed me much.

FLAWLESS VICTORY!

(Seriously, this is an awesome answer.)

Yup. I discovered this about myself as well. Number of times my actual weight has come up in conversation = zero.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

True.

However in one study they ran some mice on a treadmill and noticed that some of them gained more muscle when fed a surplus while others were more inclined to get fat, even when forced to exercise. Starvation is possible for all of us, but we are not born with the same tendencies toward body composition. It can take a lot more work for some to get lean and muscular than for others. Which doesn't mean it can't be done. Or I hope it can be done, because this belly of mine's days are numbered, even if I end looking like a shriveled little skeleton everywhere else.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    There are differences in body type and genetics that will impact the ultimate result. It's hard enough to sustain 1,200 calories for a long time (I've done it.) but without the motivation to lose, it would be even harder. I would think that increasing to 1,500 and trying just a bit more exercise would be good. But then, I would recommend you not obsess about results. You've accomplished a lot already. Congratulations.
  • lkugel
    lkugel Posts: 4
    Options
    First of all, everyone has a different body type and yes, some people, even women, have bigger bones and more muscle then other women. I think people who are saying it is a cop out etc.,etc., is a judgement. Some bodies don't want to be 120. My family is built shorter and stockier ...we have bigger legs, bigger ribcages, etc. Some people look great at 120lb or whatever but some look emaciated. I think you should look at your body fat %. Again, some bodies like a little more than others but I think that would be a much better gage on where you really are. If you are 5'5" with a 20% body fat, well..for a women...that is good, you can maybe go lower..what if you are at 15% body fat? Then you don't have a lot more room to lose anything because you are muscle.

Don't be judged and don't judge yourself. If you feel you can do more, work harder etc, then maybe you can. Go get your body fat tested before you start grinding on yourself...you may be a a healthy stable weight for you. The fact that you are at 1200 calories and not seeing results I think says that might be too few calories too. There is a lot going on in our bodies.

Congratulations on going from 170 to 150 since Feb and keeping it off! That is amazing and you should allow your body to adjust. Do we sometimes make excuses so we don't have to work as hard to get to a certain weight..probably. Are some of us coping out for various reasons..probably. Do we need a kick in the butt sometimes to get things going again and be accountable...yes. That said, constant judgement and beating ourselves up for not being leggy, wispy, models doesn't really do any good either. We are who we are and we're all made in different shapes and sizes. I will never be a long legged blond. I can pull of the blond but at 5'4" leggy I'll never be. I will never look like that no matter how thin I get. Be reasonable with yourself. Check your body fat. If you are 35% body fat, well then I'd say you still have some room to move and you need a different technique because 1200 calories isn't doing the trick. Talk to a trainer and see if you can modify something. Be honest with yourself and look at your food diaries. Are you eating 1200 carbohydrate calories? Can you add more protein and oust the sugar? Maybe dial in more on that and exercise. Be reasonable and pat yourself on the back, a 20 lb loss is amazing, more power to ya!
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    That said, constant judgement and beating ourselves up for not being leggy, wispy, models doesn't really do any good either. We are who we are and we're all made in different shapes and sizes. I will never be a long legged blond. I can pull of the blond but at 5'4" leggy I'll never be. I will never look like that no matter how thin I get.

Bingo. If your definition of "thin" is Nicole Kidman, then I with my 5'3", large-boned frame will never be "thin". I just wish someone could have convinced my mother of that :laugh:.