calories burned?

Options
Why does my treadmill say I have burned around 1/3 less calories than what this website says?

Replies

• fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Because this website is WAY off when it comes to Calories burned!

I don't know why but it is not at all accurate when it comes to the burned cals. I have seen it double the cals burnt for some of my bigger workouts.

For cals burned best way to measue in order:

1 - From a HR monitor
    2 - From the Machine (treadmill etc)
    3 - From MFP.

If you only have the option of MFP (running not on a treadmill etc) then only enter 1/2 to 2./3 the time to make sure you are not overestimating your cal burn.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    The only real way to know how many you have burned is with a HRM :wink: If you don't have one I would guestimate somewhere in the middle :flowerforyou:
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yes - I halved them the first couple months before I bought an HRM. If you do get one make sure it is programmable for your height, weight, sex and age and has a chest strap for accuracy. Lots of people on MFP like Polar brand. I have the F6 and it cost about $85.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Don't ever trust the treadmill, elliptical, bike, or any other cardio machine!!!!! Even if you put in your height and weight, they aren't accurate. A heart rate monitor can be a good indicator, but if you are on any medications (allergies, blood pressure, asthma, cold, etc.) or have ingested caffeine within 12 hours prior to use, or aren't at a steady state of activity, then they can be off too because of heart rate changes not related to the actual exercise. MFP uses the MET system that has been proven in a lab to be the average amount of times the normal metabolic rate is raised during a specific exercise for the exercises that are standard (not user added exercises), which is what we use for my exercise physiology program at university. Granted, there are a lot of things that the MET level has been established for that aren't in the MFP database, but if it is in the database here originally, then it is pretty accurate.
  • ImCeltic
    ImCeltic Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a major gym and when I first started working out my body was very inefficient and I was lucky to burn 300 calories an hour. After 5 months of working out 3-5 times per week for an hour each time I got up to burning 600 calories per hour. Before and after those 5 months I had a metabolic assessment where my resting breathing and heart rates were measured (while I wore a mask that measured the breath rate). So each time I took the assessment my personal trainer adjusted my heart monitor accordingly.
  • kdfaughn
    Options
    Thanks for all the different replys and options. They were all helpful. Learned alot.