need ideas for a potluck - using a secret ingredient

Options
mytime6630
mytime6630 Posts: 4,206 Member
Our garden club is having a potluck dinner next thrusday, and we are suppose to bring something that has a "secret"
ingredient in it.

One lady is bringing brownies, that use black beans in them.

I have NO idea of what to bring? Any ideas or recipe suggestions? Someone is already bringing a dessert, so anything else - recipes would be so appreciated!

Replies

• mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Maybe a pasta salad but using spaghetti squash instead of regular pasta? This recipe is pretty good (although I sometimes use store bought pesto in a hurry) http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/07/spaghetti-squash-pesto-with-tomatoes.html
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I actually made this recipe for a picnic on July 4th. I did add a dollop of low fat sour cream when mashing the potato/cauliflower mixture to keep it super creamy (which is not included in the nutrition info below). I also included some seasonings of my preference - salt, pepper, garlic powder and basil.

Not one single person even thought that there was cauliflower hidden in there. Hope this helps you out!

jl5u7a.jpg

Loaded Mashed “Potato” Casserole

INGREDIENTS:
    • 3 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
    • 1/2 small head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
    • 1 teaspoon olive oil
    • 1 medium onion, chopped
    • 2 ounces turkey bacon, chopped (center-cut pork bacon will work also)
    • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
    2. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and boil for 15 minutes, or until fork-tender. Remove to a bowl; do not drain the water from the pot. Add the cauliflower to the pot and boil for 5 minutes, or until fork-tender. Place in the bowl with the potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or an electric mixer on medium speed.
    3. Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bacon and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft and the bacon is done.
    4. Spoon half of the potato mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheese and half of the onion/bacon. Repeat layering to use the remaining ingredients, ending with bacon on the top.
    5. Bake for 10 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese has melted.

NUTRITIONAL FACTS PER SERVING (4 servings per recipe):
    CALORIES 208.5 CAL
    FAT 11.2 G
    SATURATED FAT 5.4 G
    SODIUM 585.6 MG
    CARBOHYDRATES 12 G
    TOTAL SUGARS 4.5 G
    DIETARY FIBER 4.6 G
    PROTEIN 14.7 G
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Try this one. Always get compliments on it. I have doubled the recipe and made it in a 9x13 with your own graham cracker crust,,,

Crystal Light Lemonade Pie

Introduction

Use the powdered Crystal light that makes quarts ... You will use one tub that makes 2 quarts.

Minutes to Prepare: 5
    Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients

One Tub of Crystal light lemonade powder
    14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk fat free
    one 8 oz container of Cool Whip Lite( Thawed )
    One pie crust graham cracker( reduced Fat)

Mix the crystal light powder with the sweetened milk and blend together. Fold in the cool whip and pour into crust and then place in the freezer. Take out a few minutes before serving to allow to thaw for cutting .
    Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 317.1
    Total Fat: 6.6 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 0.6 mg
    Total Carbs: 24.5 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
    Protein: 0.1 g
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Try this one. Always get compliments on it. I have doubled the recipe and made it in a 9x13 with your own graham cracker crust,,,

Introduction

Use the powdered Crystal light that makes quarts ... You will use one tub that makes 2 quarts.

Ingredients

Mix the crystal light powder with the sweetened milk and blend together. Fold in the cool whip and pour into crust and then place in the freezer. Take out a few minutes before serving to allow to thaw for cutting .
    Nutritional Info
    Amount Per Serving

What's the "secret" ingredient though?
  • HellyFaye
    HellyFaye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Cheese and Cauliflower crackers

For the Whipped Cheese

Ingredients: Whipped Herb Feta - 8 oz feta cheese patted dry, 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme, 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley, freshly ground black pepper

Method: Place all ingredients into the food processor. Turn the processor on high and walk away for about 5 minutes. The cheese should become smooth and creamy and look like whipped cream cheese.

For the Cauliflower crackers

Ingredients:
    2 1/2 cups dry white wine
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 bay leaf
    1 head of cauliflower, leaves removed

Method:
    1. Preheat oven to 475°.
    Bring wine, oil, kosher salt, juice, red pepper flakes, sugar, bay leaf, and 8 cups water to a boil in a large pot. Add cauliflower, reduce heat, and simmer, turning occasionally, until a knife easily inserts into center, 15-20 minutes.
    Using 2 slotted spoons or a mesh spider, transfer cauliflower to a rimmed baking sheet, draining well. Roast, rotating sheet halfway through, until brown all over, 30-40 minutes.

To Serve cut off a slice of the cauliflower and spread feta on. Eat!

It's seriously delicious.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Avocado pudding. <3
  • HellyFaye
    HellyFaye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Or you could make Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice

Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
    Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes Servings: 4
    A light and fresh take on cilantro lime rice that uses riced cauliflower instead of rice!

ingredients
    1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 lime, juice and zest
    1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
    directions
    Rice the cauliflower by grating it on the larger holes on a grated or in a food processor. (The food processor makes this so quick and easy!)
    Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower rice is tender and slightly golden brown, about 7-10 minutes.
    Mix the lime juice, zest and cilantro into the cauliflower rice and enjoy!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Kind of unfair that someone's already bringing dessert, as that's the easiest to hide 'secret' ingredients in.

Anyway, not a recipe, but you can probably find one... I went to a friend's house for dinner once and she'd made a savoury tart/quiche thing that I would have sworn was made with eggs. But actually it was polenta.

Oh, or something like this: http://betsylife.com/2013/02/05/pasta-gin-sauce/
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    chick pea blondies?
    sweet potato hummus?
    mac n cheese with pumpkin or squash for the creamy sauce,
    chocolate mousse made with avocado
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Spinach as the secret ingredient.

In something that has ground beef. Like lasagna or some type of taco casserole or something.

I heard spinach is easily hidden in ground beef casseroles with lots of flavor.

check recipes online.

ETA: I've been apostrophe happy lately.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Dorito crusted chicken?

1 Bag of Doritos, any flavor (I used Nacho Cheese)
    1 Egg
    2 tablespoons milk
    2 chicken breasts

Preheat oven to 400
    Cut chicken into strips (about 1")
    Place Doritos in a Ziploc bag and crush until you have 1 1/2 cups of crushed Doritos. (You don't want them powder, a few bigger chunks are ok).
    In another small bowl beat together egg & milk.
    Dip each strip in the egg mixture and then into the Doritos mixture. Press the chips into the chicken making sure the whole strip is coated.
    Place on a foil lined pan and lightly spray the tops of the chicken with cooking spray.
    Bake 15-17 minutes or until cooked through.
    Serve with ranch or sour cream.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options

Introduction

Ingredients

Nutritional Info
    Amount Per Serving

Instead of lemon filling..Um the Crystal light?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'd probably bring some kind of punch, with the secret ingredient being vodka :laugh: :drinker: .

Nah, kidding (maybe). I was also going to suggest cauliflower mashed potatoes, and that recipe looks better than mine (stealing it). Cauliflower potato soup works really well, too - here's the recipe I follow (stolen from the Pioneer Woman but with my own modifications...the measures on this aren't what I would use to log it; I'm copying and pasting from another source):

Ingredients
    6 slices Thin Bacon, Cut Into 1-inch Pieces
    1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
    3 whole Carrots, peeled And Diced
    3 stalks Celery, Diced
    3 cloves garlic
    3 whole Small Russet Potatoes, Diced (Peel if you prefer; I like the skin)
    1 small or 1/2 large head cauliflower
    8 cups Low Sodium Chicken Or Vegetable Broth, divided
    3 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
    1 cup skim Milk
    1/2 cup Half and Half
    1/2 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
    Black Pepper To Taste
    1 teaspoon Minced Fresh Parsley
    1 cup Grated Cheese Of Your Choice

Preparation Instructions
    Chop cauliflower into small pieces. Add to a small pot with 3-4 cups of stock and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Continue to simmer until cauliflower is cooked to soft.
    While cauliflower simmers, add bacon pieces to a soup pot over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp and fat is rendered. Remove the bacon from the pot and set it aside. Pour off most of the grease, but do not clean the pot.
    Return the hot to medium-high heat and add the onions, carrots, and celery. Stir and cook for 2 minutes or so, then add the diced potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper..
    Pour in the remaining broth and bring it to a gentle boil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are starting to get tender.
    While potatoes are cooking, pour cauliflower, broth, and garlic into food processor/blender (or use immersion blender). Blend until mixture is smooth. Add to soup pot.
    Whisk together the flour and the milk, then pour into the soup and allow the soup to cook for another 5 minutes.
    Stir in half and half, then stir in parsley, reserving a little for garnish.
    Serve in bowls garnished with parsley, grated cheese and crisp bacon pieces.

Makes 12 decent servings. I don't know if it would travel well, but it's tasty as all get out. The last time I made it (I adjust the recipe each time as needed based on the actual weights of everything I use) it was 101 calories per serving without the bacon/cheese garnish.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    Easy recipe for a sweet/spicy salsa...Hidden Ingredient -Strawberries

1/2 cup red pepper jelly
    1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon lime zest
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
    2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
    1 large diced tomato
    1 small avocado, diced

Strawberries would be the hidden ingredient I would probably puree the strawberries with just little tomato to "hide" it so it wasn't so obvious and leave plenty of tomato to dice. if you want it spicier I would add a favorite pepper of choice.

Paired easy with tortilla chips or what I made is mini fish tacos and have the salsa as a topping with slaw.
  • Mygsds
    Options

Introduction

Ingredients

Nutritional Info
    Amount Per Serving

Instead of lemon filling..Um the Crystal light?

Yes, just mix the 3 together ingredients together... No need even for a mixer.. So refreshing for Summer..
  • Mygsds
    Options

Introduction

Ingredients

Nutritional Info
    Amount Per Serving

The Crystal Lite instead of eggs and lemon juice..
  • smwright20
    smwright20 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump for reading later.:wink:
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have the best meatball recipe with a "secret" ingredient.

Bag of frozen meatballs, turkey or beef (or homemade even)
    Brown in frying pan
    add to crock pot
    one large jug of Pace Picante salsa
    1 large jar of grape jelly (secret ingredient)
    Cook 4-5 hours on high in crock pot, or 6-8 hours on low

They are really good, super easy and people always request them at every party/potluck I go to.
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options