I could use some 5k training advice

Options
2»

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

No doubt. Race times were always better than training that is for sure. And if ths is your first.....be careful not to start too fast! I have seen too many people blow their times by going too fast and dying in the last mile!

np.. my last mile is always faster than my first mile, but that might have something to do with the congestion
    I set my GPS watch to alert me when I go too fast or too slow and the first half to 3/4 mile it always beeps to slow down so I oblige. It seems like I am barely moving early in a race but I know my pace, know what my body can do so i set it accordingly.
  • Jarrod4275
    Jarrod4275 Posts: 37
    Options
    I truly appreciate everyones responses. This life is all new to me trying to become a runner. I have been a pack a day smoker and heavy drinker for over 20 years and quit drinking, smoking, changed my eating habits and started exercising in January. I've lost 70 pounds and feel amazing. Literally I feel better than I have since I was a child. I have found new goals that continue to fuel me to want to try harder and go bigger than people think I can go. So I know that it sounds unreasonable to go from alcoholic and 1 pack a day smoker for 20 years to 20 minute 5k running in less than a year. But you know what? It's that I shouldn't be able to do it that makes me want to so bad. In January, walking upstairs in my home left me short of breath. Now I run (pretty fast too) 10min / walk 5min / run 10 min. I have 15 days of 5k training behind me and 9 more to go on my 5k runner app. I just wanted to know the very best way to get faster once I am capable of running the whole thing and you all answered that. Thanks!
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    So I know that it sounds unreasonable to go from alcoholic and 1 pack a day smoker for 20 years to 20 minute 5k running in less than a year. But you know what? It's that I shouldn't be able to do it that makes me want to so bad. In January, walking upstairs in my home left me short of breath. Now I run (pretty fast too) 10min / walk 5min / run 10 min. I have 15 days of 5k training behind me and 9 more to go on my 5k runner app. I just wanted to know the very best way to get faster once I am capable of running the whole thing and you all answered that. Thanks!

Awesome job! Keep up the great work!

Just remember Thomson's Rule for First-Time Telescope Makers: "It is faster to make a four-inch mirror then a six-inch mirror, than to make a six-inch mirror." Meaning, it can often be more efficient to do the "smaller" goal before the "bigger" goal than to plow right on to the bigger goal directly.

The things you learn while doing goal #1 make goal #2 a lot easier and, where running is concerned, possibly safer. Setting a currently-inappropriate goal can lead to injury, which is very inefficient! I remember getting all gung-ho about hillwork once, only to wind up screwing up my knees and having to take a month+ off. Sort of defeated the purpose. :mad:

Oh, and as part of your "training", I recommend that you watch the movie "Without Limits" if you haven't seen it already. :glasses:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's great that you have achieved so much, and have inspiring goals.

BUT

Running your first 5km in October AND expecting to get a place?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    You might want to check last years results for the race you plan on doing. What really shocked me (and still does) is that the 30-40 age group for men around my area is actually the most competitive class. Even if you run at the lower 6 min paces you would be lucky to make it in the top 10 of the age group.

So yeah, check the results from the previous year and if you are nowhere near that then find a small 5k that no one really does :)

As for speed, track workouts have really been making an impact on my times. I am currently doing one from McMillon.

BUT

You are probably best on working on endurance before you worry about track workouts. I don't think I would worry about 5k geared track workouts until I could at least run a 10k at a decent pace.

I wish you all the luck in the world but I just don't see you goal as anywhere close to realistic. Give it hell anyway though and see where the chips land.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Running your first 5km in October AND expecting to get a place?

It really depends on the size of the race. I placed 3rd in M 40-44 in my first 5K in June, where there were only 300 runners in the 500. When a ran my first 15K a couple of weeks ago, I got a 1st place medal for males, where there were only 8 of us. In my first big 5K of 3000 runners, I finished in the top 3rd in my division.

Congrats to the OP for the change in lifestyle and wanting so much more. There is nothing wrong with setting lofty goals. It depends are your mentality if you don't meet them. There's a difference between goals and targets.

I've always been an active person and was always the athletic fat guy. Losing 100 lbs and enjoying running has help feel so youthful. My current best mile time in training is 8:18. In my last 5K, I paced at 8:14. I will break the 8 minute mark in my mile training runs, with the ultimate goal of beating my best mile time of 6:30 from when I was 15.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have no advice but wow you must walk/run really fast! Your 5k time is about the same as my best 5k time at my (apparently slow) running pace haha! Nice work and good luck! :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to know the very best way to get faster once I am capable of running the whole thing and you all answered that. Thanks!

Run more, most of it at conversational pace (85% of total weekly mileage). Do some faster stuff for the other 15%.

Build mileage slowly so as not to develop an over use injury.

More easy running will build your aerobic capacity which will make you faster at every distance race distance (defined as 800m and up).
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I've also read about wall sprints. Dunno what's best. I'm researching this too so... bump.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've also read about wall sprints. Dunno what's best. I'm researching this too so... bump.

Wall sprints ?!? :grumble:
  • dwood1231
    dwood1231 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the post in this thread, but i have been doing C25K. Downloaded it free into my phone, put on some pandora radio, 30 minutes+- 3 times a week. Throw in some free lance workouts on the other days you will do great. Good luck
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

"Wall Sprints: Learn to Sprint Faster Without Actually Running"

These are strength techniques for sprinters.

The way to get faster, for the long haul, is to run more. It's a tried and true formula. You can make short term gains with other methods, but to have sustained speed increases, you need to run high volume. Period.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options

The way to get faster, for the long haul, is to run more. It's a tried and true formula. You can make short term gains with other methods, but to have sustained speed increases, you need to run high volume. Period.

Good to know!

So if I need to learn to sprint faster, I can do these too, but mostly, I just need to sprint haha. Right?
    I'm so slow at running bases at baseball..
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I don't have any real advice, though I think you got some good info from other posters.

I just want to congratulate you on the major health changes you've made and wish you the best of luck in your run!! I think you may be the type of person who needs to shock and awe and if you can place in your first 5k, that will keep you motivated. I think you can do it, but it only matters what you think! Best of luck!
  • Jarrod4275
    Options
    I don't have any real advice, though I think you got some good info from other posters.

I just want to congratulate you on the major health changes you've made and wish you the best of luck in your run!! I think you may be the type of person who needs to shock and awe and if you can place in your first 5k, that will keep you motivated. I think you can do it, but it only matters what you think! Best of luck!

Thanks a lot! Saturday I did a 5k in 29:35 which is my best time yet! I walked for 5 minutes of that so I am getting closer! I am almost running it with no walking and once I can do that I am going to start trying to increase my speed based on everyones advice. Pretty pumped! :)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Good to know!

So if I need to learn to sprint faster, I can do these too, but mostly, I just need to sprint haha. Right?
    I'm so slow at running bases at baseball..

Well, 90' at a time is totally a sprint ;) Explosive sprinting training is what you need (but totally useless in a 5k)
  • Jarrod4275
    Options
    So I know that it sounds unreasonable to go from alcoholic and 1 pack a day smoker for 20 years to 20 minute 5k running in less than a year. But you know what? It's that I shouldn't be able to do it that makes me want to so bad. In January, walking upstairs in my home left me short of breath. Now I run (pretty fast too) 10min / walk 5min / run 10 min. I have 15 days of 5k training behind me and 9 more to go on my 5k runner app. I just wanted to know the very best way to get faster once I am capable of running the whole thing and you all answered that. Thanks!

Awesome job! Keep up the great work!

Just remember Thomson's Rule for First-Time Telescope Makers: "It is faster to make a four-inch mirror then a six-inch mirror, than to make a six-inch mirror." Meaning, it can often be more efficient to do the "smaller" goal before the "bigger" goal than to plow right on to the bigger goal directly.

The things you learn while doing goal #1 make goal #2 a lot easier and, where running is concerned, possibly safer. Setting a currently-inappropriate goal can lead to injury, which is very inefficient! I remember getting all gung-ho about hillwork once, only to wind up screwing up my knees and having to take a month+ off. Sort of defeated the purpose. :mad:

Oh, and as part of your "training", I recommend that you watch the movie "Without Limits" if you haven't seen it already. :glasses:

I had seen Without Limits before but it had been a while. Stumbled upon a copy for $3.00 over the weekend and assumed it must be a sign :) After watching it I ran my fastest time yet and it was 98 degrees outside! If that don't kill me I have no excuse not to run now. Thanks for the tip! :)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Thanks a lot! Saturday I did a 5k in 29:35 which is my best time yet! I walked for 5 minutes of that so I am getting closer! I am almost running it with no walking and once I can do that I am going to start trying to increase my speed based on everyones advice. Pretty pumped! :)

9 minutes / 3:00/mile is 3 months? VERY tall order, as you know.

In other news, podiuming a race - AG or OA - it depends on the race. I run 20:00 almost all the time. I often podium my AG (either 30-39 or 35-39).
    My last race? I ran a 20:50 and came in 59th in my AG!
    Race before that? Ran a uphill 21:25. Came in 12th OA, 1st AG (really 2nd, but top 3 OA didn't get included in AG)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Congrats on the time - it's very impressive when considering there was a 5min walk too. If you were able to run, you might have been able to get 27... I still think 20min 5K in your timeframe is a very tall order, and I hope by "start trying to increase my speed" you mean "run more slow easy miles and build up aerobic base." Speedwork is no good without a base to build it upon - you might as well just race a 5K every weekend and get the same results.
  • Jarrod4275
    Options
    With 2 minutes of walking included I ran a practice 5k in 28:06. I'm pretty pumped about that time. Next training run will include no walking and I have 6 training sessions left. I think I should be running it in 27:00 in a couple weeks and then I have 2 months to try and shed 6-7 minutes. Looking forward to the challenge!