Juice for Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    If you juice mostly vegetables, and have the kind of juicer that includes the skin and fiber like a Nutri Bullet, maybe. But some people gain weight on a juicing diet too.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Freebie pages of Dr. Hagan's "Breakfast: The Least Important Meal of the Day" are very enlightening.

How many more threads can you push this book on?
    I would understand if its a book of personal inspiration for you, but a quick look at your recent thread posts list shows that you've pushed this book a few times. In fact the first page of your recent posts alone has you push this book 8 times in 8 posts....

Just a snippet from the guidelines for you:
    14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising

a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. This includes, but is not limited to; posts that contain links to offsite blog posts and social media. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    He lost weight because he was consuming less calories than he was expending...the content of those calories (juice vs. 'regular' food) made no difference.

You don't need to 'kickstart' your metabolism. It is always running and doesn't stop.

Exactly what he said, but you do get a metabolism boost with high fiber and high protein foods versus higher carb and fatty foods with the Thermic Effect .

Still the best way to "kickstart" metabolism is over-eat for a day. Since the biggest direct effect on metabolism is the calories we eat it makes total sense to have a very high calorie day, a small caloric surplus, to make your metabolism work harder and break the pattern of caloric deficits from dieting.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    why do you consider it 'complete nonsense'?
    Ok, fibre doesn't boost metabolism particularly as far as I know, but it does change the 'CICO' balance a little, which is what most care bout.
    Protein does have a higher TEF than other food types and this is well known.

The concept of using higher calorie days to 'reset' or 'confuse' the body is used quite widely.
    Certainly eating more WILL increase the metabolism for that day at least.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Complete nonsense.

PLEASE BUY TEH EBOOKS OFF AMAZON

FIFY
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Show me a study. Something that is widely done doesn't mean anything.

Sure, it takes calories to metabolize ingested foods into useful forms, but if the useful form is FAT, well then, what's the point?
    Do you have studies to show that it doesn't?

What about the other points, or is not 'complete' nonsense, just one part?

Of course I worded it as I did because I haven't personally read studies that support that.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    So you don't have studies that support your beliefs? If not, what are your beliefs based upon?

What about the other points, or is not 'complete' nonsense, just one part?
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    There are people who live on the light from sun and air. I prefer real food though.
    Trees are people too!
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I did a 10 day juice "fast" in January and felt great and it did kick start my healthy eating plan. I ate much healthier for a few months because I was craving fruit and veg rather than chocolate and chips. Unfortunately it didn't last, as nothing did. I wanted to do a three day one this week, last one day lol. I switched it to juice in the days and food at night. That's much easier for me at the moment.

I did find it very useful for teaching me how much I eat when I'm not hungry and rther just out of habit. It's something I would like to do every now and again to remind myself of that. However as others have said he lost weight because he was at a calorie defecit, not from some miracle. The plans on his website says they average out to roughly 1200 calories per day, but when I logged it using his information I was getting more like 1000 calories which is very low.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    It's based on the standard medical textbook for dotors, called "Guyton's Textbook of Medical Physiology."
    And what was your belief in the case of eating higher calories after periods of lower calories?

(To me, your answer seems to be the same as mine, just that you've seen it printed in a recognised medical resource vs my information coming from recognised experts in the area who the same as far as desiccating research papers and so on.)
  • orlandogirl97
    orlandogirl97 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Why would anybody want to remove all of the fiber from their food? Boggles my mind!
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Why would anybody want to remove all of the fiber from their food? Boggles my mind!
    Why would you want fibre?

Sure, it reduces calories a bit, but it also reduces micronutrient absorption and has the possibility of some other negative things.

Since I read up on it, I've been a lot less bothered by it - as with a lot of things, actually!