HIT Calorie Burn?

Options
I meant HIIT calorie burn for the title.

I don't know much about HIIT, but I'm researching it and I'm about to start doing it on my elliptical once I buy some new batteries. Should I go by the calorie burning feature on my elliptical or is there a more accurate reading on here? If so, where do I find it? I am interested in HIIT because of the high number of calories that can be burned in a short amount of time. Any info/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :happy:

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Because it isn't a steady state cardio workout, a HRM may not be as accurate for giving calorie burns. I'd use the MET system, personally, as I've been taught that it is more accurate for estimation due to all the variables that can throw off a HRM. HIIT training is usually estimated to be about 12.5 METs, so multiply that times your weight in kilograms to determine calories per hour. Example:

220 pound person doing 15 minutes of HIIT training

220 / 2.2 = 100 kilograms

100 kilograms x 12.5 METs = 1250 calories per hour

15 minutes / 60 minutes = 0.25 of an hour

0.25 hour x 1250 calories per hour = 312.5 calories in that 15 minute HIIT workout
  • mlwalters
    Options
    Thanks Tonya! Do you think I can use this formula to figure out my cal. burn for a HIIT Turbo Fire workout?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    Yeah, any HIIT workout. Just make sure you hit it as hard as you can. ;)
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Tonya,
    I have just one thing to say... You're amazing.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I also have something to ask you. My HRM doesn't have calories burned so I use Calburn to plug in my numbers. I use it for every workout. Would using something like Calburn's website give me a decently accurate estimate?

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    Tonya,
    I have just one thing to say... You're amazing.

No, I'm just lucky enough to be in a great program at university so that I have all the tools at my disposal to learn this information (or look up the specific numbers for anything I can't remember) and a strong sense of duty to share it with as many people as possible. I figure if I'm going to spend a small fortune on this education, then I'd better not be the only one to benefit from it. :wink:
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    Thanks, Tonya! I did your formula with my weight and got a 177 calorie burn per 15 minutes! That's a great workout! Thanks!!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    I also have something to ask you. My HRM doesn't have calories burned so I use Calburn to plug in my numbers. I use it for every workout. Would using something like Calburn's website give me a decently accurate estimate?

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

There are actually several formulas out there that are being studied like this one. While they all show promise, none of them have been ruled the Gold Standard yet that I'm aware of for me to be able to say use this one over that one. If it makes it easier for you to track and you are seeing the results you want by using those calorie burn numbers, then I say stick to the method you prefer. I would caution, though that using heart rate can be thrown completely off if you are on medications (Blood pressure meds will lower heart rate and, therefore show a lower calorie burn, even with intense exercise and asthma medications can raise heart rate, and therefore show an increased calorie burn, even without exercise.), use caffeine (which will raise heart rate and show a higher calorie burn without exercise), etc. then you won't get an accurate reading by going with a heart rate formula. If you are not on any meds (even over the counter cold meds) and don't consume caffeine (even chocolate), then this could be a very accurate formula.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Because it isn't a steady state cardio workout, a HRM may not be as accurate for giving calorie burns. I'd use the MET system, personally, as I've been taught that it is more accurate for estimation due to all the variables that can throw off a HRM. HIIT training is usually estimated to be about 12.5 METs, so multiply that times your weight in kilograms to determine calories per hour. Example:

0.25 hour x 1250 calories per hour = 312.5 calories in that 15 minute HIIT workout

By definition the intensity of HIIT (and any other exercise) is relative to the VO2 max of the exerciser--it is a percentage, a relative number, not a fixed intensity. I'm curious to know your reference for the 12.5 MET figure.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Azdak from CalorieCount?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options

By definition the intensity of HIIT (and any other exercise) is relative to the VO2 max of the exerciser--it is a percentage, a relative number, not a fixed intensity. I'm curious to know your reference for the 12.5 MET figure.

Dr. Mark Kasper gave us a METs compendium last year in Exercise Epidemiology. As we've worked through things in the exercise physiology program, we've added to it and HIIT is one of the things we've added to it. Dr. Kasper is now the Director of the Sports Science program at FSU and focuses on research in the health and athletic performance fields.