How the *kitten* do I get all the protein I need for the day?

Options
Hello!

I have counted calories for a few weeks, and have lost about 11 lbs, but now recently I have started watching my macros(I don't track them, I just watch them change based on what I eat during the day). I don't follow a certain diet, I basically eat whatever fits my calorie goal(However I do not eat fast food and crap like that...).

I'm cutting atm, so my daily calorie goal is 1350 calories. My "macro-percentages" are set to (50% Protein/30 Fat/20 Carbs). It seems I would have to eat only pure protein to even come close... What am I doing wrong?

(Sorry for the messy layout, Im kinda in a hurry...)

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I can personally only get above 80 or so grams per day if I take a protein powder as a supplement. But that's me.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    That is not enough calories for you.
  • Fentyman
    Fentyman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    whey protein.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    19yo male eating 1350?

bro, do you even nourish?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    19yo male eating 1350?

bro, do you even nourish?

My thoughts exactly!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    but it's a cut, I have to eat like a teen girl!

geeez.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    That is not enough calories for you.

This. And why that macro breakdown? Especially if you are not following a particular diet plan. With that breakdown, yes, you basically will be eating pure protein and lower carb veggies. Maybe some additional fat.
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You need to readjust your macro levels. You're on an very high protein, but low carb and fat diet and it's just not feasible at that calorie level. It looks like you're trying to get 169 g of protein, 45 g of fat, and 68 g of carbs a day. Lower your protein macro and increase carbs and fat a bit to make your diet doable. You also need to eat more, even though you're on a cut you need more than 1350 calories a day since you're a 19 year old male.
  • Robotponysaurus
    Options
    I have a lot of trouble getting in protein too. I usually only get like 40-50, but I'm a vegan with a tiny sleeved stomach, so what's your excuse? D:
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

^this also.

You don't have that much to lose and you're a guy!

I lost my weight on 1900 average as a 5'3.5" female. Keep your muscles and take it slow.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I have counted calories for a few weeks, and have lost about 11 lbs, but now recently I have started watching my macros(I don't track them, I just watch them change based on what I eat during the day). I don't follow a certain diet, I basically eat whatever fits my calorie goal(However I do not eat fast food and crap like that...).

I'm cutting atm, so my daily calorie goal is 1350 calories. My "macro-percentages" are set to (50% Protein/30 Fat/20 Carbs). It seems I would have to eat only pure protein to even come close... What am I doing wrong?

(Sorry for the messy layout, Im kinda in a hurry...)

You're a 19 year old male. You need to eat way more than 1350 calories. Target 150+ g protein / day
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Strong first topic title.

Why are you set at 50% protein? That's a lot. Also, eat more calories.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You need to readjust your macro levels. You're on an very high protein, but low carb and fat diet and it's just not feasible at that calorie level. It looks like you're trying to get 169 g of protein, 45 g of fat, and 68 g of carbs a day. Lower your protein macro and increase carbs and fat a bit to make your diet doable. You also need to eat more, even though you're on a cut you need more than 1350 calories a day since you're a 19 year old male.

Only partly agree with this. Keep your protein macro at 169. Up your fat macro to 70. Get the remainder of your calories in carbs, but for the love of Pete and all things good, please eat more. I'd suggest aiming for 2000 calories at the very least and lift like a beast. You're cutting, so do it right. I will say I am pulling the 2000 calorie number out of my butt because I don't know enough about your stats to be more accurate.

How much do you weigh? What's your height? Do you have a food scale and are you weighing your foods? How much and how often are you lifting?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My maintenance calories are around 1500+ cals a day (I'm a 34 year old female). I agree that you probably need to eat more calories than 1350.

I have my macros set closer to 40% protein. I eat back most of my exercise cals (which also requires eating extra protein). I eat over 100 grams of protein/day.

Eat meat, whey protein, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, nuts, seeds, peas, tofu...
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how eating 50% of your calories from protein equates to 'eating almost pure protein'.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows 1,200 calories is not enough. Except MFP which continues to recommend it based on certain inputs and The Mayo Clinic, which publishes suggested 1,200 calorie-per-day meal plans. I eat more than twice that now but I lost weight on 1,200 calories per day. It's difficult but not fatal, and no, it won't cause muscles to atrophy.
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I do agree your calories are set low BUT that diesn't help you.... high protein snacks.. I just got done eating hard boiled egg whites and a cheese stick as a snack! Things like egg whites, peanut butter, nuts, I've been known to use some grilled chicken as a snack, ham slices rolled around cheese, greek yogurt.
    Search the forums for High Protein snacks, I'm sure there's a few threads on that. But I am pretty sure (from experience) 50% macros for protein is hard to hit unless you use some sort of supplement like whey powders or protein bars, they just come with lots of calories attached sometimes so read your labels and keep them "clean" Quest bars are yummy (chocolate chip cookie dough) :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how eating 50% of your calories from protein equates to 'eating almost pure protein'.

I know I used the phrase too but I agree it is a bit of an exaggeration. My point was at his level with those macros, pretty much every meal and snack has to be protein focused. It's a lot of protein for that intake.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Not enough calories. Protein percentage too high.
This discussion has been closed.