50 lbs and 5 miler goal and looking for supportive friends!

Options
Sonja1211
Sonja1211 Posts: 58 Member
Three months ago I was in a car accident. My roommate and I were passengers in a car that smashed into a tree. I was lucky and only ended up with a concussion, but my roommate died about five minutes after impact. My doctor prohibited any exertion until my concussion cleared up. I decided to self medicate with ice cream, and went overboard, gaining 25 pounds.

I was recently cleared for exercise. I have cut out most processed sugar (ice cream is just a memory now) and have started to exercise. Went to the gym yesterday, where my trainerhad me do a total body workout. He asked me to do additional cardio, and to let him know today how I was doing. I did 20 minutes of moderate rowing (at his suggestion), and today I feel like a newborn calf. I texted my trainer to update him, and he said not to worry, the soreness gets worse by the hour. :)

I'm glad I'm starting this. My roommate was active duty Navy and I signed up for a 5 mile run mid-September, to run in his memory. Hopefully I don't have to low-crawl over the finish line - I'll do it one way or the other. According to my trainer I need to work on my core. After doing some exercises yesterday, I realized I am coreless. This is going to change. I may need intravenous caffeine, but change it will.

So let the journey begin. If any of you have advice, or just words of encouragement (which I will reciprocate), please add me. I appreciate any and all support!

Sonja

Replies

• 1HappyTurtleRunner
    1HappyTurtleRunner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear your story. Just sent an add, I like to run. Anyone is welcome to add me, I have an open diary but there are times that I am not online during the weekends.
  • Sonja1211
    Sonja1211 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm a rower myself, but I'll have to get that running in! :)