Count it or not...it still counts!

I've encountered many a moment, especially around holidays where I've been hesitant to log things. If I don't log it...it doesn't count right? I can sit in silent bliss that no one knows that I had an extra slice of cake, that lick of BBQ sauce, the oils I used in my pan to cook my eggs, the idle candy sitting on the counter left over from Halloween (ya, I've found some starburst lying in the back of the pantry). But then, I sit there and I think. Sure. I'll be over, maybe even hilariously so but who am I really lying to if I don't log it? Does me not acknowledging the deed negate what I did? Nope. I can still gain weight from it. And then, days from now I'll probably have forgotten it and weeks from now when I lack progress I'll sit and wonder why. Not logging things does no good. I can't complain about the results I didn't get from the work I didn't do.

Sure, there will be days my logging won't be accurate, maybe I'll even have an unlogged day or two due to vacation, etc. It'd be unrealistic to think I could always do this every single day for the rest of my life (though I intend to do so to the best of my ability) and not have a few blank days. But I guess the point of it all is before you question the validity of calorie counting. We must first look to ourselves. First ask,

1. How long has it been? Only a few weeks? Keep going 3+ weeks and no progress, I'd probably look at that diary.

2. Am I logging everything?

3. Have a I started a new routine that could be causing temporary water weight? (For me it's like once a week on my heaviest lifting day)

4. How's that sodium? Excess sodium can cause temporary weight gain, too

5. Ladies...has mother nature come a knocking lately?

6. Do I weigh my solids, measure liquids if I'm having issue losing? It was actually a complete shock to me what a real portion of something was (some people do not need to do this, some people are pretty good at overestimating portions)

Remember that weight loss is not linear. A better test of progress will always be measurements and mirror. How you feel is ultimately important. Ideally, you'll see scale loss but for those with little to lose, slower is better, so don't fret.

Ultimately, whether or not to log it or not, if you ate it, it counts! Happy logging ;)

And a serious question that requires an answer asap...

Is this Tywin Lannister?

35899iq.gif

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Is this Tywin Lannister?

35899iq.gif

Yes lol
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    In
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Is this Tywin Lannister?

35899iq.gif

Yes lol
    Thunk

Thunk

Pllllflffrrrtttt
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Count it! The hips don't lie.

tumblr_mv05hmdS6F1qm8bpmo1_400.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    e304d33dc5e23c70e48029f073c49c0a.jpg
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Yay! Dance parties!

2mga8b5.gif
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    I don't count everything.

My favorite example is a salad bar: Stuff like lettuce and, most raw vegetables, come on,there is no way you could eat enough lettuce, spinach or kale to gain weight! Now stuff like croutons, cheese, salad dressing, bacon bits, boiled eggs, nuts and raisins; those have to be counted because that is where your calories actually come from.

I can start with a bowl full of greens and be under 100 calories; if I add too much of that other stuff, I'm easily over 1000 calories. It seems much more sane to worry about the 900 than the 100 but that is only my opinion.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    1119.gif
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I log everything so I know where I stand. It would be impossible to know if I should really be losing or not if I didn't log all the stuff.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    I log everything so I know where I stand. It would be impossible to know if I should really be losing or not if I didn't log all the stuff.

I'm definitely the same way. And given my lifting goals of doing bulking and cutting cycles, I like knowing I can pinpoint a range of calories that works, depending on my goals.
  • natalee8
    natalee8 Posts: 34
    I count everything - including mouthfuls of the children I look after's leftovers - my goodness do they add up?!?!

I count veggies and salad because:
    a) Whilst it's unlikely I'm going to go over I'm calories enough to make a difference eating iceburg lettuce, it's still good practice trying to keep under my goal, including not going over by 5 calories, just because I'm new to this and getting used to the numbers &
    b) I like seeing the foods with low numbers compared to those with high ones, it gives me a better understanding of what I can include more of in future :)
  • SoFab007
    SoFab007 Posts: 2 Member
    Great post, and seriously I think it is Tywinn L. Lol, love it!
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member

Is this Tywin Lannister?

35899iq.gif

Yes, but Tywin Lannister doesn't smile.
  • BombshellPhoenix

Is this Tywin Lannister?

35899iq.gif

Yes, but Tywin Lannister doesn't smile.

Fair point! ;P
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    This post is just full of common sense and just awesomeness!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    This post is just full of common sense and just awesomeness!

:flowerforyou: so are you, though! :P
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Great post. There have been a few times I've been tempted not to log things (last night's biscuits!) as I didn't really want to admit to myself that I'd eaten them. But as you rightly say, the calories are there whether I log it or like it or not... the only way to make real progress with this is total honestly.

Weighing has also been a real eye-opener for me. I'm still amazed at the different between a 'regular' portion of pasta and what I used to eat!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    eorfd1s8zzx8.jpg
    It's a butt rock
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    It's better to log so you know what works for you. I am tempted when I have something not good like a,weekend drink or doritos not to log but think knowing I will log them means I think twice before having them and am accountable if I do. New to this so hoping I continue with this mindset.
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Great post! I have to count it all because that's the only way I will know what works and what doesn't. Seeing as every body is different, a certain amount of trial and error is inevitable and it sure helps to be able to crack open that diary and figure it out.