Please People.. post a photo

Options

Replies

• MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    no thanks. you do your thing...I'll do mine. I have made a bunch of friends just because they see my adorable dog and like the picture.

So....maybe you wanna back off a little, being new and all?

Oh I'm not new sweetie, and I will agree; you do your thing and I'll do mine.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I don't post my pics to websites, especially when they have no privacy setting. My FB is set to friends only and some of my albums are select family and friends only. once I know my friends on here a little better I will post a pic for a brief "heres me, put a face to all the words" but then I will remove it, I have nothing to hide but I don't want to be found by people from my past who are there for good reason. Not being found by old class/work mates is better than telling them "we didn't keep in touch for a good reason so sod off"
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Why is this such a touchy subject? I don't quite understand the harsh replies she's getting.
  • TwiFan5
    TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was never going to post any photo's of myself but then I changed my mind but I can understand why people don't want to post photo's.
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    Why is this such a touchy subject? I don't quite understand the harsh replies she's getting.

I was wondering the same thing! I feel like Casper.. trying to be friendly & scaring everyone away by saying...Boo! I've worked in customer service for 20 years and I can take anything they throw at me and sleep like a baby, So it's okay. I think I will post an open letter and say.. excusssssse me, I just wanted to see who I talk to, but if it upsets you that much forrrrrrrrrr getttttttt itttttt. lol
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Lol
    Not having faces for avatars doesn't bother me. Actually I think it might be just dull!
    An avatar is supposed to be something fun and personal to represent you but not necessarily a face. At least for me.. Kinda like your user name. Not many people use their own names on this site either.
  • Lillyofthevally
    Options
    I think it would be nice to see your buddies too, I am going to put my picture in as soon as my hair grows out a little more. Thanks for the post!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Some people are uncomfortable with posting their pic.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    ok, you're new here obviously. it is a wonderful, free site with valuable resources and you waste a post because your prurient curiosity compels you to see everyone on the site? seriously, i value my friends for their posts, their ups and downs, victories, setbacks. in other words, real life. if some people want avatars, it's fine. if someone is glowing with victory and does before and after pics, i celebrate with them in their hard earned success. however, if you bother to check out the site, you may notice everyone is different here and people express themselves and their opinions differently. you have expressed your opinion. i disagree with it but you have a right to your post. you do NOT have a right to insinuate about posters as you have already done a couple times in this thread. perhaps you felt it was a witty rejoinder. perhaps you consider that everyone's circumstances are different and try to respect that whether you agree or not.

Oooo cranky!! HA HA!! This makes me laugh. I am pro-photo and do not add friends on MFP that have no photo. If you are too ashamed to show who you are then where is my motivation to befriend you? Relationships are supposed to open and honest right? That being said I haven’t used the “friend” functionality on here for quite a few months, the news feed was getting annoying just repeating when everyone worked out, when they finished their day and repeat. It was pretty boring and at the end of the day we are all here for ourselves so I don’t see the need to see that someone else burned 300 calories, good for you but you don’t need my applause. If the community helps you, great!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    ok, you're new here obviously. it is a wonderful, free site with valuable resources and you waste a post because your prurient curiosity compels you to see everyone on the site? seriously, i value my friends for their posts, their ups and downs, victories, setbacks. in other words, real life. if some people want avatars, it's fine. if someone is glowing with victory and does before and after pics, i celebrate with them in their hard earned success. however, if you bother to check out the site, you may notice everyone is different here and people express themselves and their opinions differently. you have expressed your opinion. i disagree with it but you have a right to your post. you do NOT have a right to insinuate about posters as you have already done a couple times in this thread. perhaps you felt it was a witty rejoinder. perhaps you consider that everyone's circumstances are different and try to respect that whether you agree or not.

Oooo cranky!! HA HA!! This makes me laugh. I am pro-photo and do not add friends on MFP that have no photo. If you are too ashamed to show who you are then where is my motivation to befriend you? Relationships are supposed to open and honest right? That being said I haven’t used the “friend” functionality on here for quite a few months, the news feed was getting annoying just repeating when everyone worked out, when they finished their day and repeat. It was pretty boring and at the end of the day we are all here for ourselves so I don’t see the need to see that someone else burned 300 calories, good for you but you don’t need my applause. If the community helps you, great!

Nothing to do with being ashamed, but people talk about all sorts on here and they may not want their families etc seeing. i've had many people add me because they like my picture or my user name. If they asked to see a pic of me to put a face to the words I would direct them in the right direction which would be my photobucket site that is not open to public.

I agree a couple of posts on here have been pretty rude to the OP but I think the majority that don't use their own pic do so because there is no privacy setting on here, google will pull up your profile and show any pics. I'm not a public person, hate my photo being taken (even when I was a skinny minnie) and do not feel the need to display myself to the world via my profile pic.

Horses for courses and if someone wants to reject a friend request because they can't see what I look like then fine, but whats the difference between rejecting someone because you don't know what they look like versus rejecting someone because you DO know what they look like?
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options

I'm on the fence about it... its hard to get the tone from the posts - that's the funny thing about the internet. Your words might not quite come across as you want them to...then again, they might. :shrug:
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If not posting a photo of yourself is being ashamed of what you look like, doesn't it follow that not using your true name for screen name means that you're ashamed of your name? :smokin:
    Who is to throw the first stone and is this worth throwing stones in the first place?
  • pennfields
    Options
    my before pic...
    when i get to where i want to be i will post the after, i dont actually feel ashamed to post on a weightloss site whereas i would on any other with my before pics,

i am 36lbs down so far and have the during pics
  • vbhoj74
    vbhoj74 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've never posted photos to websites out of concern for security and online privacy.

Still, all the comments here made me feel I should post one, since this is a very nice community and it will help strengthen the same.

You have a beautiful family! Yes this is a very nice community and I wish you the Best on your weight loss journey. : )

Thanks !
  • smithbuddy
    Options
    "Why is this such a touchy subject? I don't quite understand the harsh replies she's getting."

People are touchy about this subject because, we as overweight people have been judged on the way we look for all or most of our lifes and some are looking for a place of nonjudgement. it is hard to put your pics up when you have been slamed for the way you look and it takes time to get the self confidence to do that AND THAT IS FINE. I am not made at the poster i understand her wanting to see the before and after pics but people should be able to post theirs at there own pace.
  • Fitzpoppa
    Options
    <
    Here i am.... LOL
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Its free and people have the right not too...but I cant remember who said it, I will not friend someone without a pic but thats just me.....I could careless if people throw up a pic or not because thats on them

But most people are here for a reason and it baffles me why they wouldnt want too
  • Vivx
    Vivx Posts: 121
    Options
    i really dont get this

this is a page to encourage each other and motivate !

this is far from motivation !

i have a picture but some people dont like it
    its always on the news that you get alot of weirdos on the internet
    there could be someone on this doing the same thing
    if u want to put a face to someone only add people with their pictures
    theres no point in agruing or acting witty its not the sight for that try facebook instead !

even if u have a picture or not hope use are all enjoying mfp and feel free to add me as a friend for motivation

THATS WHAT THIS SITE IS FOR !!!!
  • Vivx
    Vivx Posts: 121
    Options
    If not posting a photo of yourself is being ashamed of what you look like, doesn't it follow that not using your true name for screen name means that you're ashamed of your name? :smokin:
    Who is to throw the first stone and is this worth throwing stones in the first place?

exactly !
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I am not ashamed of how I look. I am not ashamed of my name. I HAVE however been on the bad end of of a vengeful SOB who could not take no for an answer. There were pictures posted on multiple websites that were intended for private viewing. There were multiple "singles/swinger" accounts made using my real name that were NOT made by me. This SOB stalked and harrassed me for years. I have been left in peace for 2 years now, and would like to stay that way. No name, no pic to be googled.