1200 Cal too low??

Options
yassy124
yassy124 Posts: 27 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm a 20 yr old female who's trying to lose some weight. I'm currently 5'7 and 163 lbs and I want to get down to 140-145. I want to be able to lose as much weight as possible during the remainder of the summer, and myfitnesspal has suggested for me to eat 1200 cal a day. I've been doing this for about a week now and I usually go 100-200 cal above my goal, but for the most part I'm actually not too hungry by the end of the day.

My question is, while I'm pretty comfortable with this calorie amount, is it actually healthy for me to only consume 1200 cal a day? Im not moving around a lot this summer so I'm not expending too many calories. If it's not healthy, how many calories do you recommend I consume (or what plan can I follow) so that I can lose the most amount of weight (in a healthy way) in 2 months?

Thanks for your help and best of luck with all your weight loss goals!!

Replies

• PetiteDandelion
    Options
    Track all of your exercise (even if it's just walking and such), and your net calories will probably be around 1200. That said, if you feel like it's too low it probably is.
  • amsecchi
    amsecchi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been on a 1200 calories diet for two weeks now and no, I don't think it is low. In total sedentarism, the body needs between 1400-1600 calories just to function. So, if you're not doing any exercise it is good enough. At first I though it was low and was always hungry (mostly thinking about food actually) but now I am in the range with little effort. All it takes is for you to make healthy choices, you'll see that lots of vegetables and fruits are low cal and that's what 80% of your diet should be. If you keep it mostly fruit and vegetables, you'll have calories to spare in a Starbucks Latte or some cookies.

Still, you may need to work out a little to have a firm skin after you loose the extra pounds :)
  • blancheandsmooshy
    blancheandsmooshy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too am on the 1200 calorie plan and I am eating mostly fruits and vegetables with 4 oz of protein daily. My problem? All those fruits and veggies contain sugar and I'm only permitted 46 g a day. I usually end up going well over my sugar intake attempting to make 1200 calories so I keep my caloric intake about 900-950, yet I'm still going over by at least 10-15 sugar gs a day, Any suggestions?
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You should eat above your BMR, which is the minimum number of calories your body needs to function at rest. Here's a calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I tried a 1200 calorie diet years ago and wouldn't recommend it. It was easy and I felt great the first week or two because I was so motivated, but not long after that I started to get hungry all the time, my energy level went down and restricting myself so much lead to huge binges -- so I gained the weight back.

You can lose weight by eating more than 1200 calories. It'll take a little longer, but you're more likely to stick with the calorie goal over the long term, get the nutrients you need and keep the weight off.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Do the scooby calculator. Its much more accurate. And eat back your exercise calories. Good luck!
  • yassy124
    yassy124 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your responses! I think I'm going to try and workout 3x a week so that I can be able to eat a bit more.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 for a while and couldn't lose. Went back up to 1400 and lost 3 pounds. For me it actually seems to work most for me to eat 1200 for a couple days a week and then 1400 a couple.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very similar situation, and MFP recommends 1290 for me. However, I'm typically eating 1350-1650 every day and bringing it down to 1250-1300 with exercise. I'm not sure how well this will work, but I'm giving it a couple weeks to find out...

For me, Scooby's Workshop is saying daily calories based on 20% reduction goal is 1390, so MFP appears to be about 100 cals. on the short side. However, that's if you pick Sedentary. If you claim 1-3 hrs./week of light exercise, Scooby's saying 1585, which is just about right for me, I think.
  • katerams
    katerams Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    1200 cal is how much a large dog eats a day.

I know a lot of people say "well Michelle Bridges puts everyone on a 1200cal diet" and that's great, but it's not realistic.
    You should be eating AT LEAST your BMR which would be 1400-1600 for sure. I burn roughly 600-800 cal a day in my exercises and I eat between 1900-2200 cal a day. My BMR is 1600. The process is slower, yes, but it gives your body MORE to use, more energy to rebuild the muscle tissue and to function properly. While your meals should be bulked up by veg, you also need lean proteins in there and some complex carbs (whole grains, sweet potato, red skin potato, pumpkin, beets, quinoa etc). 4oz of protein for a day is bull****. I eat around 3oz of protein per meal. If you are really concerned about calories have a protein powder or protein smoothie as a meal. My favourite is 1 scoop chocolate protein, handful of blueberries (or your berry of choice) and 1 cup unsweetened almond milk.

tl/dr
    If you eat 1200 cal a day you will drop weight, but you are more likely to gain it, and more, back.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I too am on the 1200 calorie plan and I am eating mostly fruits and vegetables with 4 oz of protein daily. My problem? All those fruits and veggies contain sugar and I'm only permitted 46 g a day. I usually end up going well over my sugar intake attempting to make 1200 calories so I keep my caloric intake about 900-950, yet I'm still going over by at least 10-15 sugar gs a day, Any suggestions?

Yes. Eat more protein. It will help you maintain lean body mass and help with feeling full. My go to is usually chicken or turkey anything (turkey: pepperoni, ham, burger, bacon)
  • Momjogger
    Options
    I'm in a very similar situation, and MFP recommends 1290 for me. However, I'm typically eating 1350-1650 every day and bringing it down to 1250-1300 with exercise. I'm not sure how well this will work, but I'm giving it a couple weeks to find out...

For me, Scooby's Workshop is saying daily calories based on 20% reduction goal is 1390, so MFP appears to be about 100 cals. on the short side. However, that's if you pick Sedentary. If you claim 1-3 hrs./week of light exercise, Scooby's saying 1585, which is just about right for me, I think.

This sounds like a GREAT plan to me. Have faith. You will lose, especially with the exercise!
  • cspinato
    cspinato Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to track your exercise. You get more calories for the exercise and need to eat a lot of them to not put your body into starvation mode. I am 52 and have lost 37lbs. I am usually about 200-300 under my calories after I work out, but a lot of days, I am right at it. It's worked for me. I am only a few lbs. from my goal. Be honest...and accountable. I have accountability partners too. We help keep each other honest.
  • Momjogger
    Options
    A lot of great advice here. I like the idea of exercise to allow you to eat more (I do that) and to eat within a range of calories depending on how much you exercise and how hungry you are that day. I try to stay between 1350 and 1550. That seems doable for me with lots of lean protein and fruits and veggies.
  • BiblioTrecho
    BiblioTrecho Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 26yo, 5'7 and started at 155. I'm currently at 145 and I've been eating 1415 (and eating back calories). I figure out the calories I've burned from my heart rate monitor.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I did the 1200 calorie limit also and it worked. As I understand-that is about the minimum your body needs to function properly so it is as low as MFP will take you. I only had about 15 lbs to lose so MFP took me to the 1200 minimum. People who have a lot to lose get more calories until they come down. With just 1200 calories to consume you need to eat healthy. You need more protein so try substituting it for something else-1200 cal of veggies is a BUNCH so something else is in there.
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Everyone debates this subject, but its really up to you to decide if that is too low for YOUR body. If you feel fine, and its working, and you aren't exercising excessively then use that calorie intake for your weightloss for a while. Obviously, you can't stick with that for forever, because you might hit a plateau and whatever you do when that happens, do NOT go lower than 1200. 1200 is pretty low, but anything lower is way unhealthy, and will only make you gain weight back once you decide you can't eat such low intakes everyday. However if you decided to start working out I'd go with 1500-1800 a day?
    I did 1200 for a while and lost about 10 pounds, and then hit a plateau and upped it to 1800 right afterwards and lost 10 more pounds. :) And since then I've just ate from 1200-1800 everyday and worked out and the other 14 have slowly come off! Just figure out what works for you, and if you feel hungry on one of those days you are eating 1200, don't deny yourself food, you obviously need food. Calorie intakes are tricky, especially with weightloss. Everyone will tell you theres a right and wrong way based on their opinion, so this is just mine. No right, wrong way in mine, just figure out what works for you :)
    Although if you're going to switch up calorie intakes like I did, I would wait at least 2 weeks with each intake so you're body isn't too confused? Who knows if that even happens? I'm not a doctor. :P Just what worked for me! :) Best of luck!!

Oh, and by the way, given you are eating 1200 calories you should probably make them count, and not eat poo! :P
    So, eat lots of protein, and (healthy) carbs to give you energy, because from experience you will be tired eating 1200 calories even without working out. :) So fuel your body :) good luck, again!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, 1200 calories is acceptable for the start of a long weight loss program. But at the end of the journey you may want to bump up calories.

When I was obese, I began at 1200 calories and had two weeks of headaches, mood swings, and irritability. There was a constant tiredness, malaise, and the risk of overeating. I went to bed hungry each night and took it day by day. I sometimes did three or four hours of light exercise per week. I lost 1.5 pounds / week . It quickly shaved off the first 30 - 40 pounds.

Later on, 1200 calories felt too low. Maybe I just got comfortable, but I wanted a slower, gentler weight loss. I also found it hard to improve fitness on low energy.

I increased my calories to 1500 - 1700. I did plateau around 118, 112, and 105 pounds (or maybe just hit maintenance), and was able to increase strength from a lifting program.

1200 seems low now. I would never do it, unless I were obese once again.
    Even small deficits will cause side effects, as the body is far less tolerant of weight loss once you hit a normal range.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Hi, I've been on a 1200 calories diet for two weeks now and no, I don't think it is low. In total sedentarism, the body needs between 1400-1600 calories just to function. So, if you're not doing any exercise it is good enough.
    If the body needs 1400-1600 "just to function" then why on earth eat below that?
  • tommytwista
    tommytwista Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Scooby is cool for calculating your total calories, but you need to look at your macros (protein, carb, fat). To determine that, use this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/6-pack-abs-diet-strategy-that-gets-results.htm
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Scooby is cool for calculating your total calories, but you need to look at your macros (protein, carb, fat). To determine that, use this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/6-pack-abs-diet-strategy-that-gets-results.htm

This doesn't related to the initial question! Sorry Yassy!!

But I asked everyone on my friends list this question earlier, and no one knew, does that site help you figure out the amount of macros you need?
    I looked at the scooby site, and you had to have a percent of macros you wanted set up with carbs, fat, and protein.