morning workouts

Options
i really want to start working out in the morning so i dont have to worry about it for the rest of the day. haha does anyone have any tips? like do you eat anything before you go to the gym etc thanks in advance! :bigsmile:

Replies

• SkierElle
    Options
    Maybe you saw my other post about this but i love my morning workouts,so here goes.

1. wear your workout clothes to bed. no one likes to change in the wee hours of dawn when it's cold!
    2. you can eat before, but it has to be at least an hour before, because you don't want cramps or a stomach ache to stop your workout halfway thru. if I am really hungry before a workout, I will just have some tea and an apple.
    3. take longer doing a nice easy warm up.
    4. get a friend to do it with you, you wont want to ditch because it's not nice especially early in the morning. (mine have ditched me, as i like to get up way earlier than the rest of the normal people)
    5. Put your alarm clock really far from your bed so you have to walk to turn it off.
    6. Working out for an hour is much more beneficial than having an extra hour of sleep (given you've already had like 6-7 hours)
    which leads to
    7. learn to love to go to bed early most nights.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If I work out first thing in the morning, I drink a large glass of water and will often have something small to eat like half of a banana or some other fruit for example. Then after my workout, I have a proper breakfast. This way, I'm not working out on a full stomach, but there is a little something there to give me a bit of energy.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I always eat before going to gym. Usually something small & with some carbs. I go first thing usually, like today was at 5:30am (I'm up early so might as well go). Without any fuel in your tank your workout will be less productive and can become anaerobic, which wouldn't be worth it when you can just have a small meal or snack & a healthy breakfast sometime afterwards. I learned last summer not to eat right away after a workout, especially if it was a good one. The body decreases blood flow to your digestive system and reroutes it to the muscles & lungs in order to provide more oxygen to the cells. Eating too soon (like within 10 minutes of getting home) gave me the worse stomach ache ever! So now I hit the shower first and then eat. Gives my system a chance to go back to normal and my tummy a chance to be ready for good eats!
  • brunettegoddess
    brunettegoddess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If i dont do it in the morning I wont do it!! I come up with way too many excuses... ALWAYS fuel your machine before you run it!! I slam my water with my vitamins. Eat some protein like toast with peaut butter or a egg.... Then after your thru working out eat some more protein...for your recovery. I once forgot to eat before...working out was a waste of time... my heart was not in it. I was not thinking about the workout at all...and i about fell off the elliptical!!! ;)
  • cathykonkle
    Options
    If I work out super early, I take an Isagenix "Want More Energy", (it's all naturall-no caffeine), and IsaDelight (dark chocolate) and an Ionix Supreme. It give me the energy to work out early, and it's not really eating, but you are supposed to take it at least a half hour before working out. I notice that it takes at least that long after taking it to get started anyway. I have never been able to work out super early, but with this I can.
    Personally, it's the only way, I have been able to work out really early, otherwise I just wait and work out around 10 or 11 am.
    Cathy
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hey hun,

I have just got back into my morning workouts as I found them the most beneficial for me and my body. I keep my gym clothes next to my bed (or last night I slept in them!), I always set my alarm but wake up before it goes off - my body get's excited for it's workout I think lol.

I don't have time to eat anything before and I find this works well for me. I will have a protein shake afterwards but working out after eating just doesn't agree with me, I need atleast an hour and a half between the 2 and don't have that time in a morning. I always have plenty of energy though and get a good workout :)

I tend to do a DVD workout in a morning (30 Day Shred/Turbo Jam/Billy Blanks) to save time and then go to the gym in the afternoon/evening.

Hope you can find something that works for you - I do love my morning workouts, it's just getting into the habit that was the hard part :)
    -x-x-