is this a healthy "diet"

Options
I use diet in quotations because im not on a gimicky program.

ive struggled with my weight since i have been a child, and tried last year to lose weight (i counted calories, but wasnt watching
WHAT i was eating... only how much. i always felt hungry and got stressed out and quit... gaining an extra 10 lbs over the courcse of a year, which brought me to around 215-220.)
i also tried to implement exercise at the same time, going from never going to the gym to a lot. that whole plan was a mess
now, i am trying again but taking things differenty.

instead of counting what i eat, i am watching what i am putting into my body. so far its working, since april i've gone from 215 to 197ish

i started working at a physical job, 5 days a week..

anyways this is what my foodintake looks like, i just wanty to know if this is healthy??

bring to work with me (i work mornings)
a container of raw fruit, usually a banana and something else, either apple or mango or berries
a container of raw veggies, like peas, peppers, raddishes and cucumber. a mix of between 4 and 5 different kinds each day
and a container of a peice of chicken breast and a cooked veggie, either baked squash or fried garlic and onion, in grapeseed oil

i work from 8-4ish and have lunch around 11, with a break before and a break after. those three containers are snacked on throughout that shift. i usually eat it all, sometimes get full before i can finish all of it, and just toss out the leftovers.

then i get home and i make something like a meat and cheese sandwhich with assorted veggies, like kale and tomato on it with mustard on whole grain bread, or eggs and salad.
i also drink coffee with cream (no sugar, real cream) in the morning, and tea either black or with a litte cream at night...

is this healthy???i always hear to eat a big breakfast, mid lunch and small dinner, but i don't really like breakfast. i just pack a lunch and snack on it all day at work and then eat a small dinner. thats ok right???

Replies

• CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Calories in / calories out. Eat less than you burn and log by weight (oz / grams) for everything.
    There is no "healthy" or "unhealthy" in terms of weight loss.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has nothing to do with calories. All you have to do is eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. You don't even have to count calories, you just have to eat less of them. Good luck!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    If you have a health concern related to your intake, I'd suggest consulting a registered dietitian.

For the general population, there's usually nothing unhealthy about getting a good balance of proteins, fats, and carbs.
  • xbadboy33x
    Options
    Calories in / calories out. Eat less than you burn and log by weight (oz / grams) for everything.

Wow, wow, wow, Ummm I wouldn't go that far. There certainly is healthy and unhealthy weight loss. So you're saying that eating cake 24/7 as long as it's below your deficit is healthy? Seriously?? Not only should you be eating your micros, but macros as well. Maintaining lean body mass while losing fat is the healthy way, you don't want to be "skinny fat." Because, studies have been done, and skinny fat has been proven to be as unhealthy as just being overweight. Just because there's no fat showing, doesn't mean there's not fat around your organs, and have you ever heard of a fatty liver?? So, you're diet is spot on. Since you didn't specify exact measurements, it's quite healthy. As far as when to eat your calories, 5-6 small meals works better than three meals, because of TEF, (thermo effect of food.) DIgesting food actually burns about 15% of the calories, so if you spread the calories out into smaller portions, consuming less calories at a time, the TEF will be more effective.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

As far as when to eat your calories, 5-6 small meals works better than three meals, because of TEF, (thermo effect of food.) DIgesting food actually burns about 15% of the calories, so if you spread the calories out into smaller portions, consuming less calories at a time, the TEF will be more effective.

No.

While you will get more thermal spikes eating more frequently, they'll be smaller than if you ate fewer meals. There's no significant difference in the amount of calories you burn eating 5-6 meals compared to 2-3 meals, assuming equal calories at the end of the day.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

. As far as when to eat your calories, 5-6 small meals works better than three meals, because of TEF, (thermo effect of food.) DIgesting food actually burns about 15% of the calories, so if you spread the calories out into smaller portions, consuming less calories at a time, the TEF will be more effective.

image.png
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options

image.png

lol true dat
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Wow, wow, wow, Ummm I wouldn't go that far. There certainly is healthy and unhealthy weight loss. So you're saying that eating cake 24/7 as long as it's below your deficit is healthy? Seriously?? Not only should you be eating your micros, but macros as well. Maintaining lean body mass while losing fat is the healthy way, you don't want to be "skinny fat." Because, studies have been done, and skinny fat has been proven to be as unhealthy as just being overweight. Just because there's no fat showing, doesn't mean there's not fat around your organs, and have you ever heard of a fatty liver?? So, you're diet is spot on. Since you didn't specify exact measurements, it's quite healthy. As far as when to eat your calories, 5-6 small meals works better than three meals, because of TEF, (thermo effect of food.) DIgesting food actually burns about 15% of the calories, so if you spread the calories out into smaller portions, consuming less calories at a time, the TEF will be more effective.

I said weight-loss. I never mentioned anything about body composition and health of internal organs, etc.
    However, eating cake 24/7 below your TDEE will STILL cause weight loss.

Everything else you wrote about meal timing, etc is ....well.... look at the posts above this one.