HELP!! I listen to my HEADPHONES too LOUD!!!

hadl0032
hadl0032 Posts: 117
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone~

I am curious if anyone else has this same issue or if you have any suggestions to help wean me off the cranked volume that I am currently using when doing cardio. I have always been like this.... I do almost all of my cardio with my iPod at almost MAX volume. I can only imagine the damage that I have already caused to my ear drums and the damage I am still causing everyday. Plus...due to the insanely high volume of my music, I sometimes leave the gym with a slight headache! (And it is not dehydration.) No good people. =(

There is just something about having the music LOUD that keeps my adrenaline pumping that much harder and longer, but my poor ears are begging for help!!

Any ideas??

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Buy headphones that insert into your ears & have foam-like covering that mold to the shape of your ears. "Marshmallows" are my favorite. Don't need the volume as loud if the sound is that close to your hearing source!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Buy headphones that insert into your ears & have foam-like covering that mold to the shape of your ears. "Marshmallows" are my favorite. Don't need the volume as loud if the sound is that close to your hearing source!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    do u have it turned up so loud 2 drown out other sounds or b/c u have trouble hearin the music?
  • jamielee37
    jamielee37 Posts: 57 Member
    I get ya! I love having mine cranked up too. Try it one click down from the top at the start of your workout and see how low you can go. Or maybe just turn it up during the best part of the song when you really need a kick in the *kitten*. I do that ALOT! haha.
    But really, your body is telling you that it needs a break....please listen!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Hey there-
    I recently upgraded to slightly better headphones and do not have to crank the volume as high as with my super cheap headphones. But I do have to turn it up higher that I would like.

That said, I run outside and purposely wear NON-sound isolating headphones. If you are indoors, I"m wondering if the sound isolating type will allow you to have the volume lower...

Finally, there are companies that make ear plugs (for ear protection) that also make custom-fit pieces for headphones (like Etymotic) - maybe look into that if you think it's a 'fit' issue?

:wink: Not sure how helpful this was. I'm curious to see what the audiophiles on the site have to say!
  • Yes, your body is telling you to turn down the volume. Once your ears are damaged it may be to late so please be careful . :D
  • I say go with the inner ear headphones.

My exhusband swears by them. especially when on public transport and the like.

They're definitely worth the investment in the long run, and just remember you HAVE to have them turned down lower. ha.
This discussion has been closed.