Can serious lifting be done at home?

Options
2»

Replies

• gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Heck ya! You'll have to invest in some weights / machines, etc... but you can get great workouts at home if you can motivate yourself!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    21777730884898581982.jpg

99624627304581744703.jpg

Absolutely not.

I have just died from envy
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    21777730884898581982.jpg

99624627304581744703.jpg

Absolutely not.

...why so many barbells?

Oh, and I'm jealous too. :)

There's an EZ-curl bar, then a fat bar, then a unintentionally-bent bar (cheapie amazon deal that didn't hold up, I keep it around for technique work), then a 40-year old York bar (the rusty one) and finally a deadlift bar. I actually now have a new York bar as well (thicker than normal, 32mm or so, I prefer it to the rest for things like OHP and bench).

You should try a Safety Squat bar.

My shoulders are fine so I have no problem with a normal barbell. I wouldn't mind one for giggles anyway but they are too much $$$ when I don't really "need" one.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

You should try a Safety Squat bar.

I got one a couple of months ago and it's a killer and super humbling. I have that on my schedule tonight.

ETA: I bought one in Toronto for $99 plus shipping. Best deal ever.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    "Body by You" by Mark Lauren is a good book that works with body weight exercises to get strong.

It's serious stuff, no expensive equipment needed.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Look at Craig's list and garage sales. You can usually find really good little used equipment fairly inexpensively.
  • meanpooh
    meanpooh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. Just make sure you stretch and perform the exercise correctly.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I lift at home. I have a lot of lifting equipment but I almost always use the same basic things:

Barbell
    Weight for the barbell
    Bench
    Squat stands (I bench press out of these as well)

That's all you need. I spent a few hundred bucks on Craigslist and I have more weight than you would ever be able to lift!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Rack, bench, bar and plates.

Doesn't get any more serious than that.

With just a bar and plates: you can deadlift, do all the oly variations and stuff like push presses, front squats (by cleaning the bar from the floor) plenty of people throughout history have gotten seriously strong with just that.
  • Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Since you're just starting out, you can get a great workout in with just dumbbells. Add in an adjustable bench and a barbell and you'll be solid! You can always add things later as needed. Right now I'm looking for a cheap squat rack. Until then, I'm doing exercises with what I have. I still get a great workout in though!
  • eurochick64
    eurochick64 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Since you're just starting out, you can get a great workout in with just dumbbells. Add in an adjustable bench and a barbell and you'll be solid! You can always add things later as needed. Right now I'm looking for a cheap squat rack. Until then, I'm doing exercises with what I have. I still get a great workout in though!

This is a great answer, ...i lift at home, and LOVE it !! I don't have tons of fancy equipment, just enough to work out with for now !! :bigsmile:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Chiming in that you can get strong at home. I started with body weight exercises, and now have a power rack, bench, barbell, and plates and am following the Strong Lifts 5x5 at home. I also have a pull up bar and dumb bells that I use.

Use what you currently have and keep an eye for deals to add to your home gym as you can afford it.

I bought a "short" rack similar to this one last summer due to my ceiling height.

http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-92560-B-POWER-RACK-HIGH/dp/B008FPVTL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404943549&sr=8-1&keywords=short+power+rack
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you can get a serious workout at home, yes. and craigslist is your friend, as you can get a higher quality bench cheaper and at some point you probably will want a rack. i'd suggest getting metal plates rather than those plastic cement-filled ones, as the cement ones tend not to be accurate and also the seams split. and you can get metal plates for a decent price at walmart or on craigslist.