Running and Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• cindypetty01
    cindypetty01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    PS Thank you for your reply and WOW I hope to get to 15 mile runs! That's awesome.
  • cindypetty01
    cindypetty01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use a scale and pre measure. I prepare portions in advance for several days.

I have a fitbit that helps with logging when I walk. I log my activity on my FitBit for any other activity. I know it's not exactly accurate so I tend to knock off a 100-200 calories burned at the end of the day.

I met with a nutritionist yesterday...he seems to think I'm not eating enough. Trying to consume more calories and though today is the first day, I'm struggling getting in calories...I'm just not hungry. Feel like I'm forcing myself to eat. lol

Thank you so much for responding.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I ran for months without budging an ounce. It wasn't until I found MFP and started logging my intake that the pounds began to drop. Over the winter I took a running break and did indoor videos and hit a stall despite continued logging. Once spring rolled around and began running again, the scale started cooperating again. But I think the stall was mainly due to 1) lower calorie burn from the videos and 2) inaccurate logging.

Running is a great way to increase your burn and either eat more or lose faster. But it's what you eat that counts the most. I'd say in addition to counting your macros and eating clean, take a few weeks to also track straight calorie intake (accurately). You might see a trend you didn't expect.

EDIT to add: I use a BodyMedia armband to track my calorie burn, and it has turned out to be incredibly accurate. So beware the apps that overestimate your burn as well.
  • vha2
    vha2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 9 weeks now. I just started week 8 of C25K and had to repeat week 4. I have noticed no weight loss, not much change in measurements, but people at work are noticing a difference.

Can I ask.. what have your colleagues been saying that tells you they've noticed a difference? Something positive must be happening or you wouldn't be getting these comments! (Feels good when people notice doesn't it? I've had a few people at my work ask if I've lost weight. Well yes, yes I have!)
  • mgpearce4
    mgpearce4 Posts: 71
    Options
    four months ago tomorrow I started running to lose weight. I also cut out most alcohol, sweets, processed foods, and fried foods. it truly is about what you eat! i eat clean, so i burn cleaner.

for reference i have lost 1 pant size 12--->10 and 19.5 pounds in 4 months. it takes time, but it will happen.
    i also had an injury that left me walking for quite some time.

KEEP PUSHING! never give up. i'm 30 more pounds to go for my goal weight. if i can do it, so can any of you!
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 9 weeks now. I just started week 8 of C25K and had to repeat week 4. I have noticed no weight loss, not much change in measurements, but people at work are noticing a difference.

Can I ask.. what have your colleagues been saying that tells you they've noticed a difference? Something positive must be happening or you wouldn't be getting these comments! (Feels good when people notice doesn't it? I've had a few people at my work ask if I've lost weight. Well yes, yes I have!)

It is a nice feeling. My boss tells me "you look thinner" and when I vented to her about this particular issue, "well you don't look like nothing has changed." I was speechless.
  • Ryan6691
    Ryan6691 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Imcorporste interval training when you run. Also lower carb and higher protein diet will do the trick.