Newbie here....I'm scared but I need to do this now.

Options
I am taking that first step, but it's sooooo hard to do. I need to find something that works for me....but I haven't a clue. No time really to exercise (mom of 4 - 10 and under). Realized I can't walk far dstances anymore cause my back hurts....my back hurts cause I am not active enough...I am stuk and want to start....trying to take little walks w dogs, but 1 block kills my back now. Any pointers....its time for me to get back on track.

Replies

• Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool ? great workout an easy on the joints
  • SuzelleTogo
    Options
    Right after I posted a domins pizza ad posted......too funy
  • SuzelleTogo
    Options
    Not yet but hopefully within the next few months. Moving closer to a YMCA in safe neighborhood.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am taking that first step, but it's sooooo hard to do.No time really to exercise (mom of 4 - 10 and under). Realized I can't walk far dstances anymore cause my back hurts....my back hurts cause I am not active enough...I am stuk and want to start....trying to take little walks w dogs, but 1 block kills my back now. Any pointers....its time for me to get back on track.

I was in the same boat 8 and a half months ago. I couldn't walk from the parking lot at Wal-Mart into and around the store without my back killing me. I started out on an elliptical trainer at the Y. It was easier on my back and joints. I did that for a couple of months. Started losing some weight and started walking a mile here and there.The pain subsided more and more as the weight came off. I'm now walking over 20 miles a week. On Saturday I walked over 8 miles without stopping and most importantly, no pain. In addition, I'm down over 90lbs which seemed like a dream to me 8 and a half months ago. You can do it!
  • SuzelleTogo
    Options
    Thanks scott...my first goal was to commit now I have to find something where I can workout...I am giving myself a couple of weeks o find something and then gonna shake it up. How is this board with pep talks and stuff. I don't get much from this side other than from my parents now (they are very supportive). Any other pointers. The treadmill has always been my fav...as long as I keep moving I hope will be good....it's wheni stopped I spiraled downhill. Thanks for the suport
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Begin by logging your food and losing weight. You can lose weight without exercise. As you lose weight the walking will become easier. Start with short distances.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Begin by logging your food and losing weight. You can lose weight without exercise. As you lose weight the walking will become easier. Start with short distances.

This. ^^
    When I started I couldn't even make it up a flight of stairs without stopping to rest.
    You can do this, just don't give up.
    Good luck to you.
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The thing that got me to start working out was starting with the basic way of working out...getting a trampoline for the backyard. Jumping on that big thing is a workout, then it lead to me starting small like the stationary bikes so I got one of those to use while watching tv so that I don't sit on the couch.. I workout on that while watching instead. Another thing I did was if I'm laying on the bed watching tv, every time a commercial comes on I put it on mute an play a song that I do fast punches to until the commercials is done or the music goes off.. Really helped with my arms.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Hi love, I'd recommend that you start logging right away. I usually log just what I'm eating normally first(couple of days) then move it towards my goal over the course of a week or two. It makes the transition easier for me, but that's just my personal opinion. As already said, how ever you can start, just start, doesn't have to be a big start and any deficient will result in weight loss in the long run <3
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Here is a ginormous brain dump... I'm sure all the other MFPers are sick of seeing this already, but it's what helped me so I like to share it....

The good news is you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better.

++Track for a week or two before worrying about losing. This way you'll see where you really stand, odds are it is different than where you thought you were, which is actually good news... information is power

++Be scrupulously honest... you can lie to your friends, you can lie in your diary, you can lie to yourself, but YOUR BODY KNOWS EVERYTHING YOU EAT. So you might as well be honest in your diary (keep it private if you like) but you need that info because you can't get where you are going if your are not honest about where you are right now.

++See where you can make small changes on things that aren't so important to you.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

++Focus on what you should eat not what your shouldn't.
    Eating your nutritious foods first. Your body will be more satisfied and have less cravings.

++Small sustainable changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress.
    (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort, sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves. Also rather than having to think about everything all the time. You only have to think about a 2 or 3 new things to focus on.

++Rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me. (I swear this saved my life.) I was happier once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

++Only worry about it 1 lb at a time.
    Forget I *NEED* to lose 20, 30, 50, 100 lbs. I'm only worried about 1 lb the next one. I'll worry about the others later.
    Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. )

++Think of losing weight like the stock market. Yes, there will be fluctuations but as long as the overall trend is the the right direction don't worry

Food is not the enemy. You need nutrition to fuel your body and make it strong. and healthy just feels so damn good.

Most vitamins are fat soluble... so remember to include plant and fish based fats (HAPPY FATS) so you can access the nutrients in your food.

All of your foods fall into 1 or more of 3 macro nutrient categories
    FATS • CARBS • PROTEINS ... I personally think it's unwise to severely restrict any one of these categories.
    Instead of eliminating or limiting quantity focus on the quality...

HAPPY FATS (Plant and fish bases)
    COMPLEX CARBS (un or minimally processed)
    LEAN PROTEINS

Oddly enough, on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occasional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time, now the occasional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Its hard to get started, maybe start with 5-10 minutes a day of exercise like squats that you can fit in while the kids are playing or lunges or jumping jacks and little quick things that get your heart rate up and just get you started.
  • amakayg
    amakayg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is eat healthy and give your body the nutrition it needs. I know several people who have lost weight by just changing their diet and never exercising. One of them lost 30 lbs. eating healthy and started exercising afterward to gain lean muscle. The pool is a great suggestion for starting out.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thanks scott...my first goal was to commit now I have to find something where I can workout...I am giving myself a couple of weeks o find something and then gonna shake it up. How is this board with pep talks and stuff. I don't get much from this side other than from my parents now (they are very supportive). Any other pointers. The treadmill has always been my fav...as long as I keep moving I hope will be good....it's wheni stopped I spiraled downhill. Thanks for the suport

For pep talks, I would recommend adding some friends. Find people here (such as those in this thread) who you feel are motivational and supportive and send a friend request. It is nice to include a message with the request to let them know where you saw them, they can then choose to accept it. I find it very helpful to have supportive people here to help me refocus when I need it, or to give me a thumbs up when I work out, or have a good day for food choices. It doesn't make or break me, but it's nice.

As for the pains you get in your back. I have had lower back issues for years. I find that the pain improves greatly and occasionally disappears completely when I focus on strengthening my core and specifically my abdomen. I find this gives me the support I need to help reduce the pressure off my back. My suggestions until you move would be to look for Pilates and yoga videos on YouTube that you can do while the kids are otherwise entertained.

As for your eating etc. I highly recommend looking through this post. I has great information that will help you along the way:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Welcome to MFP. :flowerforyou:
  • amakayg
    amakayg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think this should be very helpful!
  • stuntmonkeyok
    stuntmonkeyok Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    From a fellow back pain sufferer (DDD, arthritis, bulging disks, AND stenosis) just got to take it slow and commit to the lifestyle change.
    My conditions put major pressure on keeping my diet in check as my back only allows for a few hours of standing or exercising a day; I have to make every minute count. If I'm on my feet- I'm exercising.
    This site has helped a ton, hope it helps you you.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Here is a ginormous brain dump... I'm sure all the other MFPers are sick of seeing this already, but it's what helped me so I like to share it....

The good news is you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better.

++Track for a week or two before worrying about losing. This way you'll see where you really stand, odds are it is different than where you thought you were, which is actually good news... information is power

++Be scrupulously honest... you can lie to your friends, you can lie in your diary, you can lie to yourself, but YOUR BODY KNOWS EVERYTHING YOU EAT. So you might as well be honest in your diary (keep it private if you like) but you need that info because you can't get where you are going if your are not honest about where you are right now.

++See where you can make small changes on things that aren't so important to you.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

++Focus on what you should eat not what your shouldn't.
    Eating your nutritious foods first. Your body will be more satisfied and have less cravings.

++Small sustainable changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress.
    (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort, sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves. Also rather than having to think about everything all the time. You only have to think about a 2 or 3 new things to focus on.

++Rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me. (I swear this saved my life.) I was happier once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

++Only worry about it 1 lb at a time.
    Forget I *NEED* to lose 20, 30, 50, 100 lbs. I'm only worried about 1 lb the next one. I'll worry about the others later.
    Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. )

++Think of losing weight like the stock market. Yes, there will be fluctuations but as long as the overall trend is the the right direction don't worry

Food is not the enemy. You need nutrition to fuel your body and make it strong. and healthy just feels so damn good.

Most vitamins are fat soluble... so remember to include plant and fish based fats (HAPPY FATS) so you can access the nutrients in your food.

All of your foods fall into 1 or more of 3 macro nutrient categories
    FATS • CARBS • PROTEINS ... I personally think it's unwise to severely restrict any one of these categories.
    Instead of eliminating or limiting quantity focus on the quality...

HAPPY FATS (Plant and fish bases)
    COMPLEX CARBS (un or minimally processed)
    LEAN PROTEINS

Oddly enough, on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occasional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time, now the occasional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

I agree with the majority of what you are saying here, but only Vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat soluble. It doesn't negate your point about eating fish and healthy fats. Most vitamins are water soluble.
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    To start off with, just log what your eating and figure out how to change your diet to make it healthier. Once you know what changes you need to make, make them. As far as exercise goes, I know pain can really discourage you. I just spent 6 months in my recliner because of the damage I did to my knee and the pain I was in. What did I learn? That's an awesome way to gain 40 pounds and by not working to improve my knee, I was just making the pain last longer. If your body is hurting to the point your trying not to move, you need to see a doctor. If the doctor doesn't think there is anything they can do, ask for an evaluation by a physical therapist. I have to tell you, I was skeptical but I've gone from not being able to walk around the block without crying to being able to walk a mile twice a day in just six weeks of pt. Sorry if that sounded a little abrupt. I've just had the same discussion with both my mother and my brother in the past week.

One more thing, as a stay at home mom I wanted to throw something out there. Yes it's nice to get in a workout without the kids around but I've found it's really helped me to have my kids do the exercises with me. Or even just dance for a few minutes with my youngest. When she was a baby, I'd do crunches with her strapped to my chest. You'll be getting yourself moving, setting a good example for your kids, and they can offer encouragement when your ready to say forget the whole thing.

Don't be afraid to ask for help or encouragement. We're all here for the same reason and it really helps to share the journey.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Suzelle, I started on MFP several months ago and I've found having several really good MFP friends has made a huge difference for me. I was already logging my food daily for several months at another site (Map My Fitness) but what I found here is that having friends was the support and encouragement I needed to push on.

Logging EVERYthing that you eat and drink will give you accountability and knowledge, two things that will be invaluable as you start on this path. When you are honest with yourself and log your intake, you'll see patterns, discover where you're doing good and not so good, and of course, get occasional praise or feedback from your more active friends here. Having an open diary is truly helpful and I would encourage it but it's totally up to you. Also, invest in a digital kitchen scale so you can weigh all your foods (liquids you measure...everything else goes on the scale). I got a nice simple one at Walmart for $18. You'll be amazed at how valuable that little tool is so don't wait to start using it.

You mentioned that you have no time to exercise but let me suggest that you can incorporate movement right at home:

Whenever you answer the phone, start walking around the house--no more sitting and chatting. You'll be amazed at how many steps you can get in during a 15 minute chat with a friend. And if your home is small--no excuses. I live in a 1200 square foot townhouse so I just do laps through my kitchen and living room. If I can do it, you can do it :flowerforyou:

My husband built an 8 inch box out of scrap wood and I use that for step exercise. Make it part of your morning route--do a couple of minutes before the kids wake up. Then every time you go into the kitchen, do another 2 minutes on the step. Or when you turn on the microwave or toaster or blender for a couple minutes...go over to the step and do another 2 minutes. If you incorporate even just 10 minutes of step time into your day, you'll be burning calories and heading down the path to better fitness without any special effort :bigsmile:

Get yourself a set of inexpensive hand weights. I have two 8 pounders (Reebok, I think, from Target) and those let me do quick little upper body workouts. Put them in a very obvious place--next to your desk, on the dining table, on the TV stand, etc--so you have to see them all day long :wink:

I hope this gives you some ideas and encouragement...good luck!!
  • babykizzy
    babykizzy Posts: 9
    Options
    hi am new to mfp and looking to make friends to help with my weightloss . thank u
  • HellyFaye
    HellyFaye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Back pain - what has helped me the most with my back pain has been doing yoga before bed. Here is the yoga sequence I do before bed each night. http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/91/35/ee/9135eef3f4db39aef1a3bd7c94df8ce2.jpg

I really suggest getting friends on here. Having a good support network totally helps you stay on target. The other thing that helps me is by joining challenge groups. Keeping myself challenged weekly and daily is helping to mix up my workouts and keeping me focused.

Logging everything you eat helps you be a lot more consciousness about what your putting into your body. I've actually put down or eaten less of something I know is junk food because I just couldn't stand the thought of logging that into my food diary.

Good luck.