Need breakfast ideas < 300 calories total

Options
2»

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    1 Thomas' Light Multigrain English Muffin - 100 calories, 1g fat, 26g carbs, 5g protein, 8g fiber
    1 slice Sargento Ultra Thin Colby Jack Cheese - 40 calories, 3g fat, 0g carbs, 2g protein, 0g fiber
    2 oz deli ham of your choice (following info approximate) - 60 calories, 1g fat, 2g carbs, 9g protein, 0g fiber

Toast English muffin. Top with ham and cheese. Nuke to melt cheese and warm ham, if desired. (I warm the ham separately on a paper towel so it doesn't make the muffin soggy, then the heat from the ham and warm muffin [heh] is more than enough to melt the thin cheese.)

Totals - 200 calories, 5g fat, 28g carbs, 16g protein, 8g fiber.

(ETA: You can also trade out half the ham for an extra slice of cheese, which is extra cheesy goodness. That puts you at 210 calories, 7g fat, 27g carbs, 14g protein and 8g fiber....the macros are just a smidgen better [for me, at least...I usually am looking to maximize protein and minimize carbs] the other way, which is why I posted it first.)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I almost did not respond because all of my breakfasts are under 300 calories but 99% of the time they involve either eggs or Greek yogurt.

My best idea for you would be to eat non-breakfast foods. Anything you might enjoy for lunch or dinner, but in smaller portions or with a different twist.

Do you like oatmeal? Throwing in nuts and/or dried fruit (carefully measured) can make it seem a lot tastier.
    English muffin with cheese and some fruit?

I don't have a link to the recipe he uses, but my husband makes some vegan pancakes that are really good and don't have egg in them. They are low calorie too. You could top one with a banana and some peanut butter, or have a small stack and keep it under 300 cal especially with sugar free maple flavored syrup (Cary's syrup tastes good, I swear!)

I don't know if you're a coffee drinker but for me, a cup of coffee (black or with almond milk) is a great way to round out my morning meal and make it seem even more filling & satisfying than if I just had water.

Good luck!!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating more.

MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    2 servings of fat-free cottage cheese is only 160 calories. or 80 for one serving.
    I usually eat 1 or 2 servings for breakfast I think that the dairy is more filling than carbs like special K. (which I have tried too).
    My breakfast looks like this for 180 calories max:
    1-2 servings of fat-free cottage cheese
    1 large ice coffee. black or with truvia.
  • amarie878
    amarie878 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast food. Peanut butter and jelly (with 1 tbsp pb or 2 tbsp better n pb and low sugar jelly on a sandwich thin. Turkey rollup with cheese. "Grilled cheese" on a sandwich thin and bacon (basically and egg sandwich without the egg). Leftovers from dinner. Quick sandwich thin pizza in the toaster over. Most probably clock in under 300, if you're careful with amounts/servings.

Blend a good smoothie with protein powder. I don't know if it's a consistency thing, but plain greek yogurt with chocolate protein powder and peanut butter is a godsend for me.

Coming from a picky eater who always hated eggs, there's a light at the end of the tunnel! In my quest to eat better, I've started to suck it up and introduce eggs to my diet. I got by in the beginning using ketchup and cheese to help get over the "eggness" of them (watch the portions on those though) and now, I have eggs/egg whites a couple days a week.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. Some of these options look like they would work to at least give me some variety and be a little less calories than what I'm doing now. To be honest, I was hoping someone had a tasty, filling option that was only 100-150 calories. HAHAHAHA Now back to reality. ;)

I've done this. It's not a 1 or 2 minute quick thing but it's possible. I can't remember the name of the tortilla's but there are some that are really low cal. 50 or 70, can't remember which. Scramble some egg beaters. Add a little fat free cheddar cheese and top with a tablespoon of salsa. Roll it all up and your out the door. If you find the right tortillas and don't go over on the cheese you can get in around 150. Really though, you want to do more calories than that in the morning.

^ I agree on all counts.

I was under the impression that the OP would not eat eggs at all. But yeah, one of my favorite breakfasts is 165 calories. 77 cal Mama Lupe fajita size tortilla, fried egg, and 1/3 tbsp. chipotle ranch dressing. Fills me up until noon at least, and I wake at six.
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty picky eater too. I wouldn't eat eggs for MANY years, however, I found that I do like egg beaters. Mix 1/2 cup of egg beaters in a large mug with some laughing cow cheese (I like the chipotle flavor) and Italian spices, microwave for 2 minutes (stirring thoroughly after 1 minute). Pair with a light English muffin or now there's a double fiber English muffin with a little light spreadable butter and you'll come in at 265-285 calories.

Also, you mentioned you didn't like yogurt, but have you tried making a smoothie with vanilla Greek yogurt? I can't tolerate plain Greek yogurt, but I'll mix 1 cup mixed berries with about 4 oz of vanilla Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon each of ground flax and vanilla whey protein powder and a little milk or water. This ends up being about 245 calories.

There are many other breakfast options - I may have to try one of the previous posts of the cheese, ham, English muffin.