skipping

Options
Well, so I thought i would try some skipping. Yesterday i did 15 minutes, and today 16 minutes, but it says I have burned nearly 200 calories each time on Fitnesspal. Does anyone know if this is correct? I felt I worked really hard and definitely got my heart racing!

Replies

• cocobounty
    cocobounty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well, so I thought i would try some skipping. Yesterday i did 15 minutes, and today 16 minutes, but it says I have burned nearly 200 calories each time on Fitnesspal. Does anyone know if this is correct? I felt I worked really hard and definitely got my heart racing!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Where are you finding "skipping" for calories burned? Are you talking about the kind of hopping that kids do???? or is it something different?
  • cocobounty
    Options
    it is under rope skipping i think. I clicked on the moderate one
  • Katy009
    Options
    Oh, ok. I thought you were talking about how kids run sometimes.....you know.....skipping.

Yeah, I think if you jumped rope for 15 minutes that would burn quite a bit of calories....it's hard work and a great exercise!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! Seriously though, did you skip around the yard, or jump rope? I could totally picture the looks if I went skipping down the beach today. I should up my workouts to be different, so maybe around the yard? I need a new jump rope.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I could totally picture me either tripping and eating massive sh.. earth, or nailing myself right in the face with it and looking like a silence of the lambs actor! Im still weighing the consequnces for the benefical good calorie burn, I'll get back to you on that one.

From what I've read is the best way to know for sure is to get one of those fancy domowhoppers that shocks your heart faster to burn more. I mean that measures your bodys heart rate and actually learns your body. I can't say how well it is since I don't have one ( It's on my to get list, after Mario Kart for the Wii! Sorry I have been waiting for that game for awhile, but have to buy silly things like a wedding and a house, so it will have to wait till November for my Birthday, my logic is messed up I know!) But other members are really happy with the Polar ones with the chest band.

Good luck!:drinker:
  • cocobounty
    Options
    i have mario kart on wii and it is brill!! You must get it.

I have been in my back yard with a rope skipping. Would not dare walk down the street skipping!!! Not sure of the comments I would get.

Anyway thanks guys!! You have really made me chuckle!!!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options

I have been in my back yard with a rope skipping. Would not dare walk down the street skipping!!! Not sure of the comments I would get.

:laugh: Picturing other people's faces.. too funny!

Did you ever have one of those "Skip-Its" when you were a kid??? Man, I practically slept with mine!!! I loved my Skip-it!!! I think they still have them... I may have to go get one!!! And maybe a jump rope too!!!

Great new exercise!!! Thanks! :drinker:
  • Katy009
    Options
    What a great idea! Seriously though, did you skip around the yard, or jump rope? I could totally picture the looks if I went skipping down the beach today. I should up my workouts to be different, so maybe around the yard? I need a new jump rope.

:laugh: That's what I thought too. But, hey, if it burns that many calories in 15 minutes, I can sure skip down the street for a bit! :laugh:
  • cocobounty
    Options
    Yeah i had one of those too! it was fab!! Do you know where you can get one?
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Probably, Wally World. I will look next time I'm there! :bigsmile:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Um, I skip occasionally during a walk :blushing: It's fun and really gets your HR up. I find if you are laughing at yourself first, than others are laughing with you rather than at you. Also walking backwards works different muscles. I just read that walking on the beach burns twice as many calories as walking on the treadmill. So go to the beach, walk, skip, walk backwards, and do a few cartwheels. :bigsmile:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! Where did you find the beach info about walking? I couldn't find anything online. Do you have the link?
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options

:laugh: Picturing other people's faces.. too funny!

Did you ever have one of those "Skip-Its" when you were a kid??? Man, I practically slept with mine!!! I loved my Skip-it!!! I think they still have them... I may have to go get one!!! And maybe a jump rope too!!!

Great new exercise!!! Thanks! :drinker:

Yes, they still make Skip-its....I bought my daughter one for her birthday. This one has a counter on it to count how many jumps you do...they should make one for adults that has a calorie counter.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! Where did you find the beach info about walking? I couldn't find anything online. Do you have the link?

Took me a while, but here it is. I guess it has to be soft sand - so no sand pack next to the waves. If you went out ankle deep, that should burn more too. I'm afraid to bring my HRM to my beach vacation - those things are expensive! I won't be logging calories anyway :bigsmile:

http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/fw/fwFit04Walking.html
  • BikeChick
    BikeChick Posts: 121
    Options
    :laugh: I couldn't help but laugh and laugh while reading this thread. Skipping is a GREAT idea! Not only does it get your HR up, but it makes you laugh, which is another great form of exercise. I may be young, but I actually had to put effort into conjuring up an image of someone skipping. I couldn't even remember how it was done! I jump rope as often as I can, because I read somewhere that 6 minutes of moderate rope-jumping is equivalent to the calorie burn of 40 minutes of jogging. That makes sense, as I feel like my lungs are being run through a shredder whenever I do it. (Too graphic? :sick: )
    Great post! :laugh:
    P.S. The Skip-It ROCKS!