Marathon runners - am I running enough?

Options
Hello all... this question is for all the marathoners out there. How many miles do you run per week in training? I really have been thinking that I was doing plenty to train for my first marathon... then I read that the average number of miles ran per week during marathon training is 40. That's making me doubt my whole regimen. I'll only do 40 miles once in my whole training plan, and here's a short summary of my training:

I've been at it for over 11 weeks, and I have another 9 weeks to go. I typically do 1 long run per week with 3 - 4 shorter runs in the week plus strength training. My long runs started out at 5 miles and built quickly to 18 miles over the weeks. I will run a couple 20 - 22 milers in the next few weeks before I start to taper down. My short runs are now between 4 and 8 miles. My total mileage for the last 78 is 229 miles, and over the next 9 weeks, I plan to do 271 more. But is that really enough?

Other Info: My average mile time the other day on my 18 mile run was 12:45. ( I run like a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run!) I am training at 6,000 ft elevation, and will be running at sea level. Also, this is my first marathon, but I have completed 2 half marathons at sea level in the past.

Any info on what you do in training, words of wisdom, comfort or advice would be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• suiteblooms
    suiteblooms Posts: 100
    Options
    PS> my running is a mix of indoor treadmill and outdoor.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    It depends how much running you were doing before you started your marathon plan. If you were doing very little it would be a bad idea to suddenly ramp up your mileage to huge volume, which is why a lot of beginners do low-mileage plans. If you were already doing 25 miles a week regularly for months, you might be able to build up a bit faster. In which case, I'd try to increase one of the midweek runs in line with the long run so it stays about 2/3 of the length (12 miles at the moment to go with your 18-mile long run).

It also depends on what you want from the marathon - do you just want to finish it, do you want to 'race' it and get the best time you possibly can, etc.

Basically, the more miles you CAN run in training the more comfortable it will be on the day, EXCEPT if you're not used to running this much. If this is the most you've ever run regularly and you haven't been doing it for long, then don't just throw loads of extra miles at it just because that's what everyone else seems to be doing. Lots of people will turn up having trained way less than you! If the AVERAGE is 40 that means a lot of people have done WAY less.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've maxed out in the low 40s for my marathon training. I could probably go faster if i had more miles under my belt though. all depends what you want
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For completion, what you're talking about is reasonable. You're getting the long runs in, although the balance between long and short might be a bit off.

For a time based objective, you may need to get more sophisticated about the profile of sessions.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to complete the marathon (which is what it should be), then you can reasonably expect to do so on a training plan that caps out at 40 MPW.

If you want to perform in the marathon, I think you need to be at about 60 MPW. I choose this number because it makes the long run of 20 miles exactly 1/3 of the total weekly mileage.

I ran my best marathon (3:10 last October) maxing out in the high 80 mile per week range.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Looks like you'll be ready the finish your full event. I train 6 days out of the week, 5 indoors, 1 outdoors. My running consists of 2 days of treadmill and my long run outdoors, with mileage in the 30's as I approach my event. The other days of training consist of 50 minute sessions on my Nordic Track at an aerobic pace. My last marathon was a 4:28. My next half in August I'm shooting for a 1:50. My next full in November, I'm going for 4:00.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine.

I ran my first marathon in May and my average weekly mileage for my 16 weeks of training were 31.22 miles. I did get 2 peak weeks over 45 miles in, but they were hard on me. I think consistency of training is very important for a first marathon. And you want to avoid overuse injuries.

I had an awesome first marathon experience. Don't get me wrong, it was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I didn't hit the wall, I wasn't miserable, I didn't walk a single step, and I reached my time goal.

I'm running my second marathon in October and I'm aiming for an average weekly mileage of 35 miles for those 16 weeks of training. Increasing the number slowly to avoid injuries. If all goes well, I'll take that number over 40 miles for next spring.

So, yeah, all that rambling to tell you that you need to trust your training! The mental side of thing is an important part of marathon running and you can't start to doubt everything at this point. Good luck!!

(You can check out the Long Distance Runners group, lots of smart people hanging there! :) )
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    As Carson said it is all about your goals for the marathon. If you goal is to finish without wanting to shoot yourself in the face your plan is fine; long runs of 18/20/22 that your plan has are in line with most marathon plans. After you finish this first one and decide you want to run another you can start worrying about increasing your mileage to boost your performance.

Good luck on your race :)
  • suiteblooms
    suiteblooms Posts: 100
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your kind words and helpful advice! I know that i'll have to walk some of this, but it's good to hear that I am on track to finish. Really my fitness goal is to complete: no puking, passing out or dying. And I don't know that I am committed enough to running to go for a second. Guess it's more of a bucket list thing or a 1/3 life crisis...(turning 30 after the race). I think it'll be mostly 10 Ks Halfs and fun runs after this. I just need a defining moment - a time to have been the best of my life.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Seems like you have been given the right advice, but just to re-iterate: I have been able to complete a reasonable marathon on 35-40 miles a week. For a PR attempt, I might be up to 60-70. If your goal is to finish without hurting yourself, 40 miles a week is fine. Once you get one done, you can decide if you love it and want to do more, or have crossed it off the list and never want to do it again.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Also agree that it depends on your goals. I think you are doing enough to run the 26.2 injury free.

I want to try and sub 4 my marathon in December and currently up to around 45 miles a week. I have already done 2x 18 milers as my long run and hope to get a 20 miler in 2 Saturdays from now. But that is me doing crazy talk.

I would continue your plan that you started, and if at the end of your marathon, you think you want to improve your time then work on an intermediate or advanced plan that has you go to 60 miles or more per week with some speed work mixed in. I heard that one of the scariest side effects of running a marathon is signing up for another one within 4 weeks. ;-)
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You could google Hal Hidgon. You can download some free training schedules, and see where you compare. I have only done 1/2 marathons, but I find his programs to work for me.