WANTED!!! Your favorite soup recipes

Options
MamaRandall
MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
This weekend I want to take all day to cook as many soups as I possibly can and freeze them. I absolutely love soup, but anything canned from the store is way too high in sodium and is half water. But soup is probably what I'm going to be taking to work or feeding my children at lunch/snacks with for the next couple months.
So, what I am asking, is that everyone share with me their favorite healthy soup recipes!!! I found a veggie one that looks delicious:happy: , but I want more than that.

Thanks all! You guys rock, and keep me so motivated to keep coming back here :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My daughter does really good potatoe and leek soup. Better then my one and she is only 7.

1 or 2 leeks (depending on how much you want
    1 medium or large potatoe
    1 vegetable stock cube

Chop it all up and let it boil until soft and then mix. It's fast, easy and yummy. And we don't put any cream in it as the potatoe will make it thicker.

Also carrot soup is nice.
    few carrots
    1 potatoe (preferably small as you don't want to make it taste like potatoe)
    again, vegetable stock cube

chop, boil, mix and add a bit of chilli spice. It is easy and fast too. I found that without the chilli is a bit too sweet, but with it is just right.
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    This is a very Healthy, tasty, soup;

New Turbo-Antioxidant Weight-Loss Soup

1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
    2 medium red or white onions, finely diced
    2 large sweet potatoes with skin, scrubbed, diced into 1/4" cubes
    3 (15 oz. each) cans black or kidney beans, drained
    1/3 tsp. dried oregano or 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh oregano, or to taste.
    2 1/2 (32 oz. each) cartons low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth.
    2 1/2 tsp. sea salt, or to taste.
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper.
    16 cups (1 lb.) fresh baby spinach.
    8 cups chopped kale or other leafy green.
    2 cups soybeans (edamame) or roasted chicken breast pieces.
    Diced red bell pepper.
    1 Tbs. Parmesan cheese, optional.

Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Saute onions 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients except bell pepper; bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat; cover and lightly boil until sweet potatoes are soft, 12-15 minutes.
    Adjust seasonings. Makes 8- 3 cup servings. Store in individual containers in the fridge for up to 4 days. Heat before serving and garnish with bell pepper and if desired 1 Tbs. Parmesan.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Curry Lentil soup...not my recipe but has proved a MASSIVE hit on another board

1 tablespoon oil (none needed if you have a very heavy nonstick pan)
    2 onions
    2 carrots
    1 celery stick
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon curry powder (add to your taste)
    1 tablespoon tomato puree
    125g red lentils
    2 pints vegetable stock (made with whatever stock you prefer)
    sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Peel and finely chop the onions, carrots and celery.
    Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onions. Fry for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
    Add the carrots, celery, garlic, curry powder and tomato puree and fry for another minute.
    Meanwhile bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan and add the lentils.
    Add the vegetables to the lentils and continue simmering, covered, for 25 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
    Once cooked you can blitz some or all of the soup for a smoother texture if desired.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    CELERY SOUP - My own recipe, it tastes creamy but there is no cream in it so a fraction of the calories

6-8 sticks of Celery
    I medium to large Onion
    2 1/2 cups of skimmed Milk
    2 tablespoons Plain Flour
    vegetable stock cube
    1 garlic glove
    pinch of black pepper
    pinch of cayenne pepper
    Salt to taste

Grate the celery and onion and cook over a very low heat in a heavy lidded pan, adding the stock cube once a little fluid has come out of the veg - no oil should be needed as the water will come out of the veggies
    once veg has softened add the milk and bring to almost boiling.
    Blitz to a smooth consistency using whatever blender you use
    Add your seasoning, lid and return to simmer
    Mix 2 tablespoons of flour with half a cup of water - a shaker makes it easier to eliminate the lumps
    Add flour mixture to the simmer milk and veg and stir constantly while thickening over the heat.

Serve

You can turn this into a mushroom soup simply by omitting the celery and adding 200-300g of mushrooms. I also add a teaspoon of chives to my soups.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    bump! and..
    french onion soup
    (i must admit i dont measure anything)
    about 4 large onions
    about four cups of stock ( a guess)
    splash of red wine

just cut the onions, brown, add half the stock, cook WAY down, and add the rest of the stock and the wine, and DONE
    and it is soooooo good
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I will try this, Love French Onion soup. I do not know if I could be as good as you, I may need to tip the scale and do the bread and cheese topping! I know what I am making this week!!!
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    yum!!!! I'm loving the sound of all these recipes :wink:
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I always have the ingredients in the house , lentils are really cheap, good for you and filling! Plus this is so quick and easy to make!

Red Lentil & Tomato soup

100g Lentils
    1 large onion choppped
    1clove garlic crusshed
    1 vegatable stock cube
    1Carrot chopped
    1 can tomatoes

In a pan onoin crushed garlic and stock cube, enough water to cover them, and simmer

in a spearate pan place the lentils enough water to cover them, and simmer

When the lentils are cooked add to the first pan and blend add more water , seasoning as required.

Enjoy!

makes 3 servings 187 calories each! my whole family love this one .

Also

Butternut Squash Soup
    Serves: 6
    400ml water
    500g butternut squash
    1 onion
    1 carrot
    1 veggie stock cube
    1 clove garlic
    1 tsp olive oil
    tiny dash of cayenne pepper(optional)

Cut the squash in half length ways and remove the seeds and fleshy bit. Then bake in the oven for 40 mins.
    Once baked and cooled, just peel the skin off, it should come off no problem. Make sure you don't waste any fluids that have accumulated in the squash, pour them into the sauce pan.
    Fry the onion and garlic in the oil and any fluids from the squash until softened.
    Add the Stock and water as well as the chopped carrot.
    Cook for 20 mins and then chop the squash and add this. Also add the cayenne pepper at this point if you dare, but be careful you only need a tiny amount to make a huge difference.
    Cook for 10 mins more then remove from heat and blitz.

80 calories per serving, 1.8g F, 0.2g SF, 16.0g C, 3.7g S, 2.8g Fb, 1.8g

http://heavling.blogspot.com/search/label/Soup
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    CREAMY BROCCOLI
    I made this the other day by mistake and IT ROCKS!!!!! For some reason the courgette makes it go really creamy ;) ( they use courgettes for creamy bases in Raw Food) I peal the courgettes here cause Im in Hong Kong and I don't trust them...
    Fry an onion and some garlic, then add some water ( enough to just cover veg), salt, pepper and stock cube, sprinkle mixed herbs. Bring to nearly the boil and then add 1 head of broccoli ( cut up) and 2 pealed courgettes ( zucchini). When the water has come to the boil, turn off, leave with lid on. After about 20 min: blend. It makes a yummy creamy green super healthy soup that is LOW LOW cal. I put it in mugs and drink. That way I am not tempted to grate cheese on top or dip crackers or drown croutons.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Chilli is my favourite, but this one is my husband's, and we're having it tonight. I got it from cooking light, I think. I don't add the celery. I use mixed, frozen veggies instead. I also add less salt, and I use some incredibly thin stir-fry noodles, instead of egg noodles, because I can never just leave a recipe alone.

Turkey Noodle Soup
    Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)

Ingredients

* Cooking spray
    * 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot
    * 3/4 cup chopped onion
    * 4 garlic cloves, minced
    * 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices celery
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    * 6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    * 2 cups (3 ounces) uncooked egg noodles
    * 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
    * 1 bay leaf
    * 2 cups shredded turkey (about 8 ounces)
    * Coarsely ground black pepper (optional)

Preparation

Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add carrot, onion, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Add celery, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and next 3 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add shredded turkey; cook 3 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with coarsely ground black pepper, if desired.
    Nutritional Information

Calories:
    280 (23% from fat)
    Fat:
    7.2g (sat 2.6g,mono 1.1g,poly 1.4g)
    Protein:
    29.1g
    Carbohydrate:
    24.3g
    Fiber:
    2.3g
    Cholesterol:
    80mg
    Iron:
    2.6mg
    Sodium:
    544mg
    Calcium:
    79mg
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I always have the ingredients in the house , lentils are really cheap, good for you and filling! Plus this is so quick and easy to make!

Red Lentil & Tomato soup

100g Lentils
    1 large onion choppped
    1clove garlic crusshed
    1 vegatable stock cube
    1Carrot chopped
    1 can tomatoes

In a pan onoin crushed garlic and stock cube, enough water to cover them, and simmer

in a spearate pan place the lentils enough water to cover them, and simmer

When the lentils are cooked add to the first pan and blend add more water , seasoning as required.

Enjoy!

makes 3 servings 187 calories each! my whole family love this one .

What kind of lentils do you use with that? Red split lentils have a special place in my heart, and I would love to try this soup with red lentils. It sounds really good.
  • Sheepdoglady
    Options
    Here's one I got from the Rosemary Conley Low Fat Cookbook.

Red and Yellow Pepper Soup

6 x Red Peppers, seeded & chopped
    6 x Yellow Peppers, seeded & chopped
    2 x Large onions, chopped
    2 x Large garlic cloves, crushed
    2 x Celery sticks, chopped
    4 x Pints of vegetable stock
    2 x Bay leaves
    salt and pepper to taste

Divided the ingredients between 2 pans and cook the 2 colour peppers in separate pans. Liquidise or blend them separately so you have 2 different colours, then pour into 2 separate jugs, then pour both jugs into either side of a soup bowl and the effect is amazing as well as tasty!

only 194 calories per serving and serves 4
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Carrot Soup with Crab

Ingredients
    2 1/2 tablespoons butter
    1 medium chopped onion
    1 pound sliced carrots
    1 large bay leaf (or 2 small)
    2 tablespoons white rice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
    6 ounces shelled cooked Dungeness crab (from a 1 1/2 lb. crab)
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon minced chives, plus chopped chives for garnishing

Preparation
    1. In a 5-qt. pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion, carrots, bay leaf, white rice, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring, until onions are light golden, about 6 minutes. Add 5 cups water and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Remove bay leaf.

2. Working in batches, purée soup in a blender until smooth. Return soup to pot, stir in lemon zest, and keep warm. In a small bowl, toss crab with lemon juice and minced chives. Put an equal mound of crab mixture in the center of each of 4 soup bowls; ladle soup around crab. Garnish with chopped chives.
    Yield
    Makes 4 servings

Crock Pot Potato and Ham Soup
    • 8 large potatoes, cubed
    • 1 Large Hambone with a ****load of meat on it
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    • 2 chicken bouillon cubes
    • 2 tablespoons dry parsley flakes
    • 6 cup water
    • 2 cup milk
    • 1/2 cup flour, mixed with water
    Preparation:
    Place potatoes, onions, butter, bouillon, parsley, and water in the slow cooker/Crock Pot and cook all day on low to medium. 1/2 hour to one hour before serving; add milk and flour mixture. After the soup thickens, it is ready to serve.
    Note: Add 1/4 pound of Velveeta cheese for Cheese potato soup. 1 can evaporated milk may be substituted for the regular milk.
    Serves 6 to 8.

French Onion Soup

10 sweet onions (like Vidalia’s) or a combination of sweet and red onions
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 cups white wine
    10 ounces canned beef consume
    10 ounces chicken broth
    4 ounces apple cider (unfiltered is best)
    1 Bottle Cider Beer
    Bouquet garnish; thyme sprigs, bay leaf and parsley
    1 loaf country style bread
    Kosher salt
    Ground black pepper
    Splash of Cognac (optional)
    1 cup Fontina or Gruyere cheese, grated

Trim the ends off each onion then slice from end to end. Remove peel and finely slice into half moon shapes. Set electric skillet to 300 degrees and add butter. Once butter has melted add a layer of onions and sprinkle with a little salt. Repeat layering onions and salt until all onions are in the skillet. Do not try stirring until onions have sweated down for 15 to 20 minutes. After that, stir occasionally until onions are dark mahogany and reduced to approximately 2 cups. This should take 45 minutes to 1 hour. Do not worry about burning.
    Add enough wine to cover the onions and turn heat to high, reducing the wine to a syrup consistency. Add consume, chicken broth, apple cider, beer and bouquet garnish. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
    Place oven rack in top 1/3 of oven and heat broiler.
    Cut country bread in rounds large enough to fit mouth of oven safe soup crocks. Place the slices on a baking sheet and place under broiler for 1 minute.
    Season soup mixture with salt, pepper and cognac. Ladle soup into crocks leaving one inch to the lip. Place bread round, toasted side down, on top of soup and top with grated cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly and golden, 1 to 2 minutes.

Hot Avocado and Shrimp Soup

1 small onion, diced
    2 stalks celery, chopped fine
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 bay leaf
    4 sprigs parsley
    1 cup sour cream
    1/8 cup chopped chives
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    2 medium avocados, peeled, seeded, roughly chopped
    1/2 cup cooked small shrimp, shelled, de-veined

Place onion, celery, broth, bay leaf, parsley, salt & pepper in a large saucepan. Simmer for 15 minutes. Strain and reserve stock.

Place avocados in blender or food processor; puree avocados while slowly adding stock.

When mixture is smooth, return to saucepan and heat gently; add shrimp. Cook over low heat until heated thoroughly, do not boil.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream atop each serving, and sprinkle with chopped chives.

Garnish with a slice of Fresh Avocado and sprig of cilantro
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Ickybella, Thank you for putting Calories and nutrient values.:flowerforyou:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Bump for l8r
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    bump
  • janet6567
    janet6567 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Cheese Soup
    Saute 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1/4 cup green onions with tops, and 1/2 cup grated carrot in 2 tablespoons butter until soft.
    Add two cans low sodium chicken broth and simmer for 15 minuter.
    Add two can cream of potato soup and one can cream of onion soup and mix well.
    Add 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup sour cream. Mix well.
    Add 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese and stir until cheese melts.

Taco Soup
    Ingredients
    1 pound ground beef
    1cups diced onions
    2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans pinto beans
    1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
    1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1 (14 1/2-ounce) can tomatoes with chiles
    2 (4 1/2-ounce) cans diced green chiles
    1 (1 1/4-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
    1 (1-ounce) package ranch salad dressing mix
    Corn chips, for serving
    Sour cream, for garnish
    Grated cheese, for garnish
    Chopped green onions, for garnish
    Diced avacado for garnish
    Directions
    Brown the ground beef and onions in a large skillet; drain the excess fat, then transfer the browned beef and onions to a large slow cooker or a stockpot. Add the beans, tomatoes, green chiles, taco seasoning, and ranch dressing mix, and cook in a slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours or simmer over low heat for about 1 hour in a pot on the stove. To serve, place a few corn chips in each bowl and ladle soup over them. Top with sour cream, cheese, green onions and avacado.

Baked Potato Soup
    Cook two strips bacon. Remove bacon and cook 1 large shallot until translucent.
    Add 2 can low sodium chicken broth.
    Add 4-5 potatoes peeled and diced.
    Cook until potatoes are tender.
    Add 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream.
    Mash potatoes slightly leaving some pieces whole.
    Salt and pepper to taste.
    Serve with crumbled bacon, grated cheese, and sour cream.

Beef Stew
    Brown 1 lb. lean stew meat in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
    Remove meat and saute 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/2 cup diced bell pepperand 1/2 cup diced celery and cook until tender.
    Add two cans low sodium beef broth and enough water to cover meat.
    Cook meat 2-3 hours over low heat until very tender.
    Add 2-3 peeled and diced potatoes and cook until potatoes are done.
    Stir in 1 large can diced tomatoes, 2 cups water 1 can corn, 1 can green beans and one can peas.
    Simmer for 30 minutes and serve with corn bread or crusty bread.
  • RedondoJen
    Options
    bump
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've made this soup a couple of times lately and we've enjoyed it.

Caribbean SweetPotato Crockpot Stew

A delicious one-dish meal that simmers in the crockpot for hours while you work or run errands. Pair with a simple fruit or green salad. Chorizo sausage, cumin, allspice and sweet potatoes, give this chicken stew hints of both the Caribbean and the Southwest.

2 medium North Carolina sweet potatoes
    2 boneless chicken breast halves
    1 pound chorizo sausage ( subbed spicy chicken sausage)
    1 large onion, chopped
    2cloves garlic, minced
    1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes and juice
    1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    fresh chopped parsley

Peel and dice sweetpotatoes into 1-inch cubes. Cut chicken and sausage into 1-inch pieces. Combine in crockpot with remaining ingredients, saving out chopped parsley for garnish. Cover and simmer 4 hours on low heat, or until sweetpotatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through. Serves 6 to 8.

Nutritional Information Per 1 1/2 cup Serving:
    Calories 396; Protein 30g; Carbohydrates 28g (29% calories from Carbs); Dietary Fiber 5g; Total Fat 40g (40% calories from fat); Vitamin A 1206 RE; Vitamin C 24mg.